Heated grip wiring

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

craig pcx
Year: 2019
Color: white

Heated grip wiring

Post by craig pcx »

I have just purchased a set of Oxford Premium sport heated grips.
They may be a bit overkill for the pcx but will keep the heat on lower setting.

How are people wiring these up ?

The thermostat has an intelligent sensor so I can go on to the battery and they will turn off if scooter is not running.

If I go direct to the battery- can someone give me an idiots guide to removing the necessary items to get the wiring to the grips.
If its best to tap into the wires already under the screen cover (which I guess would mean a lot less plastic to remove) then can you direct me to the wires I need to use.

My pcx is 2019.

Many thanks in anticipation
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Re: Heated grip wiring

Post by WhiteNoise »

Hi Craig and welcome aboard!
You might want to take a look/read here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2022 (taken from our PCX "How-To" sub-forum).

If you have more questions, ask away! We have very knowledgable and mechanical scoot folk among us that can aid you in your quest :P Stay Warm!

Now I shall ask a favor. Please add your location to your profile it will help us to help you...now and in the future ;) Easy directions to get that done is below (any of) my posts. Thanks!
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
craig pcx

Post by craig pcx »

Thanks WhiteNoise.

I have now updated my location.

This fit was on a 2015 PCX- Is the wiring the same for a 2019 ?

Are there any disadvantages to wiring like this and not direct to the battery?

Thanks again
Lafree
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016
Color: White

Post by Lafree »

Hi, I fitted the Oxford heated grips a few years ago direct to the battery via a fuse, threaded the cable through without taking off any panels I used an old car aerial and taped the cable to the end, mine have 5 settings I use them on 100% to start then cut back to 75% or 50% never had any battery problems scoot coming up to 4 years old original battery. Lafee.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

I have these. Picked up a switched live from behind the headlights (but not the headlight wires).

Works perfectly, wouldn't be without them.
craig pcx

Post by craig pcx »

So - took some panels off and luggage box out.
Also screen off and outer dash panel.
Then managed to feed wire from battery through to front with wire coat hanger.
Had to remove nearly all facets on throttle cover to get new grip on.
I haven’t glued either side as seems tight to me.

Was very careful removing plastics - surprised even rear grab rail needed to come off.

Happy with final result apart from made a mess of trimming the new grips- not a clean even cut.
Not sure it’s that much of an issue to warrant buying some more ??
ilkka
Year: 2020
Color: red

Post by ilkka »

Lafree wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:35 am Hi, I fitted the Oxford heated grips a few years ago direct to the battery via a fuse, threaded the cable through without taking off any panels I used an old car aerial and taped the cable to the end, mine have 5 settings I use them on 100% to start then cut back to 75% or 50% never had any battery problems scoot coming up to 4 years old original battery. Lafee.
Hi, I just bought Oxford Hothands heated grips and threaded the cable using this advice. I opened battery cover and then pushed a regular bicycle brake cable from the right side of battery. It easily appeared from behind the front wheel inner "fender" plastic cover and I could push it up to handle bar through the circular guide using the same route than stock cables. Then I taped the power wire to the end of brake cable and pulled it backwards to the battery box.

Now I wonder can this really be that easy. Is there something inside the middle fairings that can get hot? Is it possible for the cables to melt and cause short circuit while driving? Of course there is the built-in 3A fuse that came with Hothands in the battery box but still I am a little worried.

If you you know I'm likely to get into trouble with this installation could you please give some advice how I should proceed. Should i open the middle covers just to see if the power cable uses a safe route?