New PCX 150 Owner in NJ

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Seforeman

New PCX 150 Owner in NJ

Post by Seforeman »

Hello All,

I am Stuart from New Jersey and I just got my wife a new (used) 2013 PCX 150 for her Christmas gift. I have been trolling your site for sometime garnering information, reading reviews etc. I am sure she will love her new ride. As she has been getting older, she does not feel comfortable on her 1991 Vulcan 500 (too heavy at 450lbs), so I am sure she will find the nimble ride of the PCX a pleasure. My purchase came with the Honda Top Box already installed, but no windshield. Just ordered her a National VStream to take care of that problem.

A question for you all - as the service manual was missing - what is the recommended replacement on the drive belt? Her bike as 9k on the odometer, not sure what maintenance is required (oil change was done by the dealer). Any direction would be of assistance.

Thanks

Stuart
Stuart Foreman, Morristown NJ
2007 Blue GoldWing, 2013 Red PCX150, 1990 Vulcan 500, 2003 Suzuki Intruder 1400
halluinoid
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018
Color: blue

Re: New PCX 150 Owner in NJ

Post by halluinoid »

Stuart have you got a photo of the PCX in question? would love to see it

service manual was missing :| cripes what a bummer, that is needed for sure
2018 Honda Forza 300cc
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I have two of the 2013 models and I love them both. The belt doesn't need changing until 15k miles, but if you don't know the history of the bike it might be good to open it up and check the belt, rollers, etc.

Also, the topend will drop as the belt gets worn, so at 9K miles it has probably dropped its top speed down to 60 mph. I would consider, when changing the belt, upgrading the variator and rollers as well.

I have NCY variator, drive face, and 13 gram rollers on mine. With that setup plus a new belt, it will reach 75 mph...though it is a bit light for maintaining that speed. I use the extra umph when climbing hills.

A new belt costs between $35 & $40. Buy it online. It is a bit cheaper.
https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda ... 293e802c94

Here is the site I got my NCY parts from:
https://www.corsportusa.com/i-18176-201 ... ke%3DHONDA

Do not worry about the 2010+ in the description. It works in all of the model years, as far as I know.

Remember to check your tires too. The back one will wear out at about twice that of the front one. I use Michelin City Grips. They are the best tires I have ever had on my bikes.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

halluinoid wrote:Stuart have you got a photo of the PCX in question? would love to see it

service manual was missing :| cripes what a bummer, that is needed for sure
Might have to Buy one.
One doesn't get a "Service Manual" when purchasing a PCX, or Forza (etc) from Honda. Private sale: One might get one from the previous owner should he pass it along with the sale. One can buy their own Service Manual through their dealer or online website.

When you purchase a Honda motorbike you get an "Owner's Manual."
....perhaps that is what you meant? ;)

Note To All: are you Purchasing/have you Purchased a Honda Bike from Honda?....then you're also buying an "Owner's Manual." At delivery, LOOK for it. Is it missing? ASK for it. GET it, then READ It!!! ;)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

I Overlooked a
Welcome aboard to new forum member Seforeman and his wife who will soon be riding a PCX!
Sir, You picked a fun one for her indeed. Let us know how she goes with it, you know....Enjoys it!
In the meantime, go fetch yourselves an owner's manual and share some quality "read time" :D Happy Trails to you Both!
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Seforeman

Post by Seforeman »

Thank you all for the tips. Will check out the belt variator after the holidays. Yes, meant the owners manual (not service manual), which I picked one up on EBay, along with the missing toolkit and riding instructions. Will post a pick soon.

I think my wife is going to love this ride ;-)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Seforeman,

Though we know know from this thread that you are from New Jersey, once you move on to other threads/conversations we would not know where you are, so please go into your profile and add your location so that we can just look at your avatar and know where you are. Thanks!
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

riding@100mpg
Regular User
Regular User
Color: red

Post by riding@100mpg »

congrats on the 2013 pcx. I also have a 2013 and it's great fun. you may find yourself coming up with excuses to use it once you take it out a couple of times. I have several motorcycles and use my pcx probably the most. sold my 2015 pcx 2 years ago and missed it so much I ended up buying a used 2013 again. they're great fun so good luck keeping just 1 in the family.
Seforeman

Post by Seforeman »

Thanks - other than the test ride, I have not been out on it (as it is a Christmas Gift for my wife). But it already has me thinking of trading my wing in on a Suzuki Burgman 650 Exec. It was so much fun to ride. A year and half ago we did a scooter tour in Alaska on Honda Rukus's and had a blast. Only bad point was the lack of power (max speed was on about 35-40). So I figured my wife would really enjoy something with a bit more speed. Now I am thinking the same thing ;-)

You cannot imagine the logistics of getting this thing from Philly to Northern NJ (in secret) and hiding it in the shed ;-).
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

When I first purchased my wife's PCX I rode it home for her because she had not ridden in 25 years. Then I taught her how to ride all over again, especially since her initial riding experience was on dirt bikes, which are entirely different from a scooter. Once we worked out the problem of her short stature on a tall bike (she is only 5 ft. tall) she loved going out on the bike and was always ready to go.

Then we crashed. She wasn't prepared for that. I was. $75,000 later (plate and screws in her shoulder) she is afraid to go out on the bike, and afraid for me. I have been riding for 50 years. I walked away from the crash with just some bruises. I have walked away from several crashes, and avoided many more. That doesn't stop her from worrying.
Hopefully you will do a better job than I did of teaching your wife the importance of dressing for the crash.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Seforeman

Post by Seforeman »

Finally took a picture after I installed the new National Cycle Windshield.

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote:When I first purchased my wife's PCX I rode it home for her because she had not ridden in 25 years. Then I taught her how to ride all over again, especially since her initial riding experience was on dirt bikes, which are entirely different from a scooter. Once we worked out the problem of her short stature on a tall bike (she is only 5 ft. tall) she loved going out on the bike and was always ready to go.

Then we crashed. She wasn't prepared for that. I was. $75,000 later (plate and screws in her shoulder) she is afraid to go out on the bike, and afraid for me. I have been riding for 50 years. I walked away from the crash with just some bruises. I have walked away from several crashes, and avoided many more. That doesn't stop her from worrying.
Hopefully you will do a better job than I did of teaching your wife the importance of dressing for the crash.

75k Jesus H Christ.
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

That National Cycle screen looks good on your PCX. 8)

When I had my PCX I looked at their products as well but ended up leaving it stock. Just tried to avoid riding it in rain.
riding@100mpg
Regular User
Regular User
Color: red

Post by riding@100mpg »

I have that same windshield, works great!