~ Forza or PCX ~ Things to consider

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Aries68
Year: 2021 ADV 150
Color: Matte Black

~ Forza or PCX ~ Things to consider

Post by Aries68 »

The battle in my head is whether I should purchase a 2019/20 PCX, or a 2016 Forza. Maybe after some discussions and feedback it will help me understand what to do! :)

You can buy a 2016 Forza for nearly the cost as a 2019/2020 PCX if you shop around. Honda dealers are trying to unload the 2016 Forza products and will probably be very flexible working a good deal with people. With that said, it's not about the cost so much, but other factors I am trying to work out. Because I have not been able to ride either one, I can only base my current thoughts on what to purchase by watching YouTube and reading reviews. Where I live in Southern Ohio these machines are not very popular, let alone having a dealer allow you to "test" ride anything. Apparently you can't test ride a motorcycle or scooter? This is what one dealer told me anyway. No, I don't have my license yet but can't I ride it around the parking lot? Interesting.

Has anyone owned or ridden both? I would like your honest feedback based on some criteria I will add to allow you to understand what I am striving for with my future purchase. I will start by talking about what I think are my priorities from the most important, to the least:

1. Ride Comfort - From what I've reviewed, the 2019 PCX was upgraded from 2018 to allow for a better ride quality. I have zero idea how a Forza would compare. My main trips would be to cat around the neighborhoods and back roads, not so much having a desire to get on the highways. I know the PCX is not designed for that and top speed is roughly 60mph. That's fine, but I don't know how comfortable the Forza is and I wonder if the extra power would allow me more flexibility for adventures.

2. Power - From what I know, like I said, the PCX gets around 60mph, where the Forza can get up to 80mph, maybe even more. Again, this is only based off videos and what I've read. Anyway, the Forza would be a solution that would allow me to venture off anywhere, which would be nice. I wonder to myself if I would lose interest with the PCX because I would have to avoid certain roads and quicker ways to get places. For instance, I may like to ride to work in the summer months, but on a PCX I'd have to take all back roads and some of them traffic gets close to 60 mph. Some of the roads going to work are 55mph zones. Of course, people drive 60-65 at times, so I don't want to feel intimidated I will get rear-ended. BUT FOR THE MOST PART... the PCX would be fine with where I'd commute and I'd just have to allow for some extra time.

3. Mechanical - I want a bike that is reliable, long lasting and fairly easy to maintain. I would like to change my own oil and do minor service, but would take it to a dealer for more complicated things. I do not want a bike that is a struggle to perform basic maintenance on, or something that I'd have to get fixed all the time. Who wants that?

4. Looks - I have to say, the PCX is a very attractive scooter. The Forza is nice too, but I enjoy the modern design of the PCX. This is not quite as important because I could care less what other people think, so it's more for me to look at.

5. Modifications - Maybe one day I'd like to swap the exhaust or something else on the bike. Which bike would have more flexibility for this?

With that said, can anyone offer some insight on this? I've probably looked at every single review on YouTube, some of them decent, most of them repetitive and pointless. Maybe I should create my own YouTube channel because I know I could do a better job than 95% of those out there. :) Nobody really touches on anything more than walking around the bike, showing the angles, or the compartments. Anyway, thanks in advance!
It's About The Journey!
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Re: ~ Forza or PCX ~ Things to consider

Post by davenowherejones »

You have no license so you need to get one first.

How old and how big are you? Male or female? Short or tall?

The Forza is a heavy motorcycle and not really a beginners scooter. The PCX is a lot lighter.

The Forza is not really a motorcycle for American interstates, too slow.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

you are way overthinking this....get your license and ride both....the forza does interstate, the pcx does not.

and as a former dealer gen mgr, I wouldnt let you touch a bike without liscence...why? because my dealer insurance is cancelled if you get hurt....
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Had a 2010 PCX for three years and a 2013 Forza for three and a half years.
Forza is a far better machine than a PCX apart from one thing.
The PCX has a smaller turning radius.
OK two things, PCX uses slightly less fuel.
Maybe three things, seating positions are very different and you might prefer one over the other.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

I'm a former 2017 PCX 150 owner and currently own a Yamaha XMax 300. I bought the XMax 300 because there was no Honda Forza 300 (new or new old stock) offered in my area to compare it to. I also had no desire for the Burgman 200 or the $$ Vespa counterpart. That said I'm extremely happy with the XMax 300. I also own a Zuma 125 and am very happy with that too.

I was not pleased with the seat comfort on my PCX. I was also not pleased that Honda seems to be relocating the horn button location on a lot of their models now. Essentially veteran riders may sometimes hit the horn button when they want to use a turn signal or hit a turn signal when they want to use the horn. It's a conditioned response thing and although it can be overcome initially I considered it a nuisance and did make a note to Honda about it.

Thus, I traded in my PCX when I bought the Zuma 125. It had, in my opinion, a more comfortable, flatter seat (not perfect but it worked for me), and traditional horn button and turn signal locations. Everything else about the Zuma just made sense to me and I'm very happy with it.

Getting to the point about your dilemma . . . the newer 2019 Honda PCX 150 seems to have improved comfort (which I still need to check out first hand by a visit to the local Honda dealer) and other design changes according to all the available information and marketing sales promotions. The PCX, if it fits you, is a marvelous "get on and go" machine. It runs good, it looks good, it has plenty of under seat storage, the LED headlight works great, the fuel economy is excellent, the handling is marvelous, the rear view mirrors work, parts are readily available online, and you can do basic maintenance at home quite easily. Oil changes, oil pump screen cleaning, and topping off coolant is easy. Swapping out a battery is a bit of work but not bad. To adjust valves involves the removal of a lot of plastic body panels which may or may not break (tabs) before you can get to the heart of the matter. Doing CVT work, belt changes and the like is similar to other scooters. All in all it's a great scooter and easy to own until you have to get the valves adjusted or work on the rear brakes. All that said I'd consider buying a new one if it fits me better. I'd use it for round trip jaunts up to 60 miles at a clip. It's excellent for around town and it's a "looker". People dig it. Other motorcyclists will give you the "wave". I consider the PCX one of the best 150cc class machines out there and a great choice if it fits you. All that said it's not a machine I would feel comfortable carrying a passenger on although I would do it in a time of need.

By owning the XMax 300 I can relate to the Forza experience enough to share some opinion on the 300cc class scooters.

The XMax 300 weighs a tad under 400 lbs. It's got ample oommmphhh for the expressway. The seat, although a bit high for some, is really comfortable and the ride is refined. It's not a sport bike. You may have to remind yourself of that. The rear suspension (on the XMax) has adjustable pre-load for the springs so you can adjust it from really soft and cushy to still cushy but with more resistance on bumps and irregularities. Since the previous designed Honda Forza 300 is different than the Yamaha XMax I won't dwell on maintenance. That said, to sum things up, I would definitely take a passenger without hesitation on the XMax. It's got more heft, a bigger seat, and more power. Plus the scooter has a bigger "presence" on the road and stands out in the crowd a bit more. Other motorcyclists will give me the "wave".

Bottom line, the PCX is great for hop on and hop off excursions with class and dignity.

The Forza 300 would be more involved to ride but will hold it's own running with the bulls (while carrying a passenger if needed).

The thing I like about my Zuma is I can take it on mild "off road" adventures as well as around town or even on 60 mile jaunts. It does it all. It's my year 'round machine with the brush guards and ample windscreen. That said I wish I had a PCX for riding in the warm weather too. The short windscreen and larger wheels are great for cooler rides and improved handling. I just don't use my sport bike much anymore and have no desire to ride the expressways due to traffic and infrastructure conditions. Having a new PCX or similar machine in it's place would be more useful to me and easier to manage.

As a post script if I ever hit the lottery I wouldn't mind a Vespa Sei Giorni just to have for special occasions . . .. 8)

Just my 63 cents worth . . .. :lol:
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

I have an Xmax 300 now, its significantly better than a 2016 Forza, faster, smoother, more economical, better handling, comfier, but an Xmax 300 will likely cost a fair bit more than a new old stock Forza on a clearout deal.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

I live in Sw Ohio and owned a new 2014 (dealer leftover) for 2 yrs.
I loved it. I came from a 163cc Kymco, and rode the new Forza home through city traffic with absolute confidence because it is that smooth and stable with a low center of gravity.
I rarely rode on 70 or 75, but very much enjoyed riding my new 2014 Forza on 45/55MPH county roads.
It is easy to ride in the city, and is a nice comfortable bike on country roads.

You probably would also enjoy the nice PCX - but I'd bet very shortly you'll have wished you had gone for the bigger, more comfortable (better looking?) red Forza for nearly the same $$!
Don't think there are many Forza owners who now dream of owning a little PCX....!
Hope, for your sake, you choose the Forza.
Fish
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

My vote goes to getting that license first.

Then maybe a Forza after that.
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

In the UK, and I know the op is in the USA, I would not consider the Forza 125 as many keep reporting problems and quality issues since Honda pushed manufacture to Italy. Lots of people getting fed up on the FB forum.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

fish wrote:I live in Sw Ohio and owned a new 2014 (dealer leftover) for 2 yrs.
I loved it. I came from a 163cc Kymco, and rode the new Forza home through city traffic with absolute confidence because it is that smooth and stable with a low center of

gravity.
I rarely rode on 70 or 75, but very much enjoyed riding my new 2014 Forza on 45/55MPH county roads.
It is easy to ride in the city, and is a nice comfortable bike on country roads.

You probably would also enjoy the nice PCX - but I'd bet very shortly you'll have wished you had gone for the bigger, more comfortable (better looking?) red Forza for nearly the same $$!
Don't think there are many Forza owners who now dream of owning a little PCX....!
Hope, for your sake, you choose the Forza.
Fish
Perfectly said..!!
Aries68

Post by Aries68 »

Thanks for the insight everyone and really appreciate the time you took in your responses. Reading them made me realize I did not mention much detail about myself, which I can see how not providing this information could alter some responses.

I am 52, about 5'8, 200 pounds. I'd make a great NFL running back, but that 200 pounds is hardly all muscle. :P Hey, I'm working on that! (as I tell her) Anyway, I'm not sure if I would ride the thing to work as much as I'd like to say I would. It's hard to know right now. I work about 25-35 minutes away on average and could avoid all highways if needed. I think I'd enjoy the ride more in my casual time, not revolving around the "job". I owned a motorcycle (Yamaha 500) when I was in my early twenties and it was a dog. Broke down a lot, was cheap and uncomfortable so I've never had the best experience with two-wheels that some have. Maybe this is why I am overthinking all this, it's possible. Well, I guess it is... lol You're right.

But I hear everyone loud and clear and again, I do appreciate the feedback. YES >>> I will get my license and test when the time comes. I planned on that. ;)

Too bad the United States doesn't have the ones I watch on YouTube from other countries. I think the Kymco machines are nice looking. I've seen some others too. Oh, and I love watching those "Moto" expos where all the manufacturers are there with all the pretty models. HeHe... But seriously, are those even in America? All I ever knew about was car shows. I'd love to go to a nice moto show.

So yes, being at my age I just want to "twist n go" and enjoy the scenery. I am not worrying about being "cool" or care what anyone thinks. You grow out of that, thank goodness. Our son has a Harley Sportster 883 he bought used. Before that he has the Honda GROM. Cute little device, but not very comfortable after a few minutes. lol I he quickly tired of that once he learned how to figure out gears. It took him a while. I am more naturally a mechanical mind, he's not. But, he got it down and upgraded to the Harley. I wouldn't personally own one, but that's just me. :) I'm not into all that, I just want a comfortable, easy-to-ride and maintain, smaller vehicle on two wheels. BTW, I'd never be riding a passenger. The wife wants no part of that, never has. Unless, some babe at a stoplight sees my scooter and think's it's sexy. That may initiate a rider one day. I kid, of course. lol Also past that mentality as well.

My hobby is photography. In the warmer months I plan to use the bike to enhance my hobby where I can travel around the city (Cincinnati) and find those unique spots to enjoy mother nature. This is why I don't want something that will be a "production" to ride. I want to be able to stop, go, park, turn, hop off/on, and go fairly easy. The PCL is calling me right now, but.....like mentioned, would I want a slightly larger, more powerful bike to take my adventures a tad farther some day?

The pondering continues and once I test ride both, or others, I'd be able to nail it down. I could always start with the PCX and after a year or so see how it goes. They hold value fairly well and someone would buy it. I'm not worried if I had to do that one day either.
It's About The Journey!
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I did the 30 year gap also. Family and life got in the way. I started back to riding by renting a Yamaha BWS 49cc scooter. I enjoyed it so much I bought one.

Next came a Chinese 150cc scooter which did not impress me.

My Dad died and I got a Kawasaki KLX dual sport.

My mother died and I borrowed money from her dogs bank account to buy a DR650 but I was too old to ride that heavy pig to its capabilities.

So now I have a 2014 Honda Forza 300 maxi-scooter.

If I win the lottery I would buy a Zero electric Black Forest Edition.

I turned 60 this year and rode the Forza 300 to North of 60 degrees latitude to Dawson City Yukon for the longest day, June 21, my birthday.

I have ridden several hundreds of thousands of kilometers since starting again. I have no money now so my riding days may be ending once again.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

davenowherejones wrote:I did the 30 year gap also. Family and life got in the way. I started back to riding by renting a Yamaha BWS 49cc scooter. I enjoyed it so much I bought one.

Next came a Chinese 150cc scooter which did not impress me.

My Dad died and I got a Kawasaki KLX dual sport.

My mother died and I borrowed money from her dogs bank account to buy a DR650 but I was too old to ride that heavy pig to its capabilities.

So now I have a 2014 Honda Forza 300 maxi-scooter.

If I win the lottery I would buy a Zero electric Black Forest Edition.

I turned 60 this year and rode the Forza 300 to North of 60 degrees latitude to Dawson City Yukon for the longest day, June 21, my birthday.

I have ridden several hundreds of thousands of kilometers since starting again. I have no money now so my riding days may be ending once again.

Best birthday is June 21st.
halluinoid
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018
Color: blue

Post by halluinoid »

my Yamaha Virago came to an end :oops:

I then saw the Forza 300 and tried it out :lol:
Attachments
My previous motorcycle going back 15 years
My previous motorcycle going back 15 years
P1040380pR.jpg (700.74 KiB) Viewed 4698 times
2018 Honda Forza 300cc
Aries68

Post by Aries68 »

Don't get me wrong, I love the looks of motorcycles. However, these days I want to simplify life and enjoy my hobby while I "Twist -n- Go". It's merely a personal preference, nothing more! There are some really cool looking used motorcycles I can get for the cost of a new PCX and I've though about that, but in the end I'm like naaaa...not interested anymore. :) This is not aging myself more, it's about enjoying something on two wheels that's just easier. In the United States scooters aren't the main mode of transportation like some countries so they aren't nearly as common. It's a conditioned believe that we have to buy machines that are fast, cool and suck gas. That's "Merica"! for ya. lol I don't mean to sound like I am justifying a scooter purchase, but in this country they are looked upon as an "old man" mode of transportation, but when you research other countries they just make sense. I like watching YouTube and you can quickly tell in some other lands scooters are all over the road. Not here. I'm lucky to see one scooter in 12 months on the roads. They simply don't sell because of those conditioned mindsets. If we could replace even one quarter of machines on the roadways with scooters there would be far less gas expenditures, road rage and costs to maintain them. Oh well, it is what it is. :) Hey, maybe I can start a trend in my home town, who knows! I could pull up one night at the local Quaker Steak where there's like 50 bikers in Harley gear and show off my scooter one summer evening. :P
It's About The Journey!
halluinoid
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018
Color: blue

Post by halluinoid »

yeah they wouldn't be interested, they'd just laugh :lol: but worth a try

that's my Virago that I traded in on Monday photo just up 1 post, I rode that since 2006 when it was 3 years old and loved it for years, that all came to an end 2 days ago

Aries I am agreeing with you, 1 advantage straight off is the storage on the Forza and actually I am through with manual gear boxes totally, cars or bikes, who needs it!? 8)

I note your point about road rage , that is interesting, still thinking about that :D
2018 Honda Forza 300cc
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

I don't know why they call them scooters, especially the bigger 300 + models.. Sounds so babyish and so far from being a toy.. I call them step through motorcycles!
Aries68

Post by Aries68 »

Eh, what "they" call them is no concern of mine. I'm past all that at my age. They can call them a baby buggy on two wheels for all I care. Simply doesn't matter to me. I purchase what I enjoy and that's what truly matters. I'm creating a website that will partner with other social media platforms and although the theme is not about scooters, I may be able to sneak in a review video some time on how it helps me with stress of every day bombardments. I'm sure I can do a video review much better than anything I've seen to this date online. It'll be fun!
It's About The Journey!
Limey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 16 Forza/16 PCX
Color: Red/Maroon

Post by Limey »

Aries68 wrote: Hey, maybe I can start a trend in my home town, who knows! I could pull up one night at the local Quaker Steak where there's like 50 bikers in Harley gear and show off my scooter one summer evening. :P
I already started that trend here in Panama City Beach.

Check this topic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10543
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I have lost track if you have actually bought a scooter yet.

After my 20 year break I rented a Yamaha BWS 49cc scooter. I was surprised at how bad my riding skills were. I had to almost re-learn how to ride.

The 50 year old body did not move as the 30 year old did.

I would get a PCX to get started again and then after a few months move up to a Forza.

The Forza is heavy and not very forgiving. It can be awkward at low speed but fun at 60 mph. I had a police officer wave at me today but probably because I was actually in a 30 mph zone. Oops.

I rode mine today and had 123,755 km at today's fill up. 5C riding temperature and not much snow on the ground.

I went to the beach, Harrison Hot Springs, lots of sulfur, 9 or more fair size earthquakes this week. I gave the volcanoes the finger! (Mt Baker & Mt Garibaldi, Mt Meager)