Damn Forza is rattling again!!

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Damn Forza is rattling again!!

Post by davenowherejones »

I had to glue my panels together to stop the rattling. The glue has broken after a great number of kilometers.

I need to get out the silicone again but it is cold.

123,000 km now on the 2014 Forza 300. I went to Harrison Hot Springs today to check my lottery tickets.

Too many tabs & plastic rivets are broken. I have replaced some of them with roofing screws. I need to put a few blind nuts to hold the screws tighter.

I was drinking Monster but I was wearing Rockstar. Will I go blind?
glencoeman
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Damn Forza is rattling again!!

Post by glencoeman »

If it is possible, try heating the bodywork with a hot air blower type of heater before removing bodywork.
OldGuywhoTinkers
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by OldGuywhoTinkers »

glencoeman wrote:If it is possible, try heating the bodywork with a hot air blower type of heater before removing bodywork.
Silicone applied as bushing or contact point can heal a multitude of take apart sins. Almost any vibration can be tamed with a vibration absorbing washer or equivalent.
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

Adhesive backed foam tape that's used to insulate window or door gaps works. It's available in many widths and thicknesses.
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Adhesive backed foam tape that's used to insulate window or door gaps works. It's available in many widths and thicknesses.
I use it on my old EMGO top box to reduce the "rattle" noise. The lock works fine but there's just enough freedom between the lid and the box for noise to crop up on bumps and road irregularities. Not out to win any awards with the job but it's better than nothing.

In the past I did try using a thicker/wider type electrical tape as well. The foam worked better and didn't require stacking layers . . . at least for this application.

One caveat however is that on real hot days during the Summer the adhesive can get soft and the foam can move. For my purposes I can reapply it or put a new piece on.

Whatever you decide to do good luck with it! :geek:
100_6432a.jpg
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Old Grinner wrote:
I use it on my old EMGO top box to reduce the "rattle" noise. The lock works fine but there's just enough freedom between the lid and the box for noise to crop up on bumps and road irregularities. Not out to win any awards with the job but it's better than nothing.

In the past I did try using a thicker/wider type electrical tape as well. The foam worked better and didn't require stacking layers . . . at least for this application.

One caveat however is that on real hot days during the Summer the adhesive can get soft and the foam can move. For my purposes I can reapply it or put a new piece on.

Whatever you decide to do good luck with it! :geek:
100_6432a.jpg
Looks factory :lol:
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Play your radio loud..No more rattling.No radio?? Get one!
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I found one of my major rattles was the panel by the front turn signals. I took off the right upper panel above the unlockable cubby hole to get access to the fuse box behind it.

I could see the back of the panel and found a hole with nothing in it. It probably had one of those plastic rivets in it originally. I put a roofing screw with a rubber washer through the hole and gently tightened it up.

I looked down the panel and found another empty hole. I put in another roofing screw.

The roofing screws are not great as they thread into the plastic only. I would prefer a bolt, two washers and a lock nut but access is awkward.

I did a test ride up to Boston Bar. It was so much quieter and I am hearing impaired.

The bigger problem was that I intended to get a $20 lottery ticket in Yale. I discovered that I had left my wallet & phone at home. I had enough to buy a pepperoni and most of a lottery ticket. The saleslady, Peggy, put in the rest of the money for the ticket. She expects $1,000,000 soon from me.

I discovered more change in a pocket and bought an ice cream sandwich in Boston Bar. The locals were having a big discussion on how to kill things. I left.

I headed back to Hope and bought a small coffee at Starbucks with the remainder of my small change. I did not use the Chuck E Cheese Token that someone slipped me.

Senility is coming. Poverty is coming? I'm leaving.
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Sounds like you had quite a ride.

Glad you found a temporary fix for the rattle. I just hope the holes weren't there for drainage or compartment venting purposes.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I need a picture, maybe tomorrow.
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

The other day I had another idea to reduce any vibration sound caused by the minuscule gap from my top case lid. It's good to give the mind a workout once in a while and let the imagination run wild. ;)

I took a couple of small pieces of pipe insulation (the non sticky type) and just placed it over the back of my top box and closed the lid on it to see if it would compress enough to rotate the lock. Well low and behold a miracle took place before me. The foam compressed more effectively than just sticking smaller sized foam insulation strips like you use for doors. I had left the existing foam strips on it but do know that when I remove them the pipe insulation will do the job alone. Notice the imprint on the foam.

Hence the ugly pics . . . it was a work in progress. Since the pipe insulation covers more surface area it also projects both vertically and horizontally thus creating a better dampening effect. Not the "factory" look but then again the top box doesn't look like a spring chicken either. :lol:

One may be able to use this method for other stuff, like loose fitting panels or covers, but it's definitely not a good idea to use it near heat sources like exhaust pipes or engine components.
100_6475a.jpg
100_6477a.jpg
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

OK . . . so I quickly removed the flat foam door insulation and just used the pipe insulation.

Not perfect but not bad. The thing is that when I open the lid I have to position the foam pieces so when I close it they stay put. To get to the point the rattling ceased.

Figured I'd post a couple of more pics and go back to watching the mist and fog outside my window until the gale force winds close in. :lol:
100_6493a.jpg
100_6498a.jpg
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Have you tried taking the top box off and seeing what happens to the rattles?
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

duct tape is the answer, several layers if needed
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Have you tried taking the top box off and seeing what happens to the rattles?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I did a rattle test ride today, any excuse to ride. It almost got to 5C before I left in the dry. It was raining by the time I got to Popkum.

I started my walk at Harrison Hot Springs in the rain. I got a drink at Miss Margarets. A decaf Americano does not make any sense.

I walked along the lake. Breathed in the sulfur. By the time I got back to the Forza it had stopped raining.

I went to Sqéwqel Gas Bar to check my lottery ticket that had not been drawn yet. What day is it? Here check this one instead. Not a winner again? I bought a hot dog instead.

I stopped and looked at the stolen Jeep by my mail box. Locks punched out and ignition in bits. The thief then stole a neighbours Dodge Dakota similar to mine.

I am going back to bed until it gets a lot warmer.
relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red white

Post by relic »

Ah Harrison Hot Springs remember it well, this time of year falling trees getting soaked from the cold rain or snow off the branches.
Off to the hotel to drink beer and soak in the hot springs, had my own set of wheels, rented a tourist cabin and didn't carry any thoughts about the future
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Snowing.

Apparently snowing is not an approved message, too short.

But !@#$%^&* Snowing is OK.