Hello Newbies! We're Glad You Found Us!

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

pkfusion

Re: Hello Newbies! We're Glad You Found Us!

Post by pkfusion »

So hi! Hoping soon to be a born again biker. Forza 350 top of list, though maybe used 300.
I’m a big researcher so will spend some hours going through the stuff on here.
Wish me luck!
jo73
Year: 2016
Color: Steel Grey

Post by jo73 »

Hi all! Just bought my used 2016 PCX in September of this year, and it's primary role is a commuter (I commute about 65-70 miles total, usually street and highway, M-F weather allowing). I work as a healthcare insurance verifier in Newport Beach, CA. I'm enjoying the PCX even in it's stock form. But I do have a few things I intend to do to it, to get some more practicality and comfort out of it.

I've been on bikes / scoots on and off for the last 10 years approximately, and got started riding late in life compared to a lot guys. I've had a variety of bikes starting with an 08 Ninja 250, and including a few cruisers like the Rebel (250), Suzuki GZ250, Shadow 600, VStar 650, Vulcan 800; as well as a Piaggio MP3 250 and Yamaha Majesty 400.

The PCX was the first bike I got back on after laying down my Vulcan a couple of years ago. It's primary attraction for me besides being a scooter (no shifting) is the gas mileage. I had considered the Honda Helix (which I've always had a fascination with), the Reflex, Burgman 200 and Forza 300 (and a few others). The PCX was a choice of convenience, price, location, and a reasonable seller. (Surprising how many people who are trying to sell things don't care how they speak to potential buyers. Oh well.) I do have hopes of buying a CTX700 at some point however (don't know if I'd go with the manual or DCT).
richardnyc14
Year: 2019
Color: Bronze

Post by richardnyc14 »

Greetings all, my name is Richard I purchased a used 2019 PCX , at 63 I sold my 850 lbs touring bike and decided to buy a scooter.Purchase this scooter a few months ago. Got a great deal on it, the owner threw in atop case and a tall windshield witch I quickly installed on the bike. I like to do most of my own maintenance ,as I know it will be done correctly.I just ordered a haynes manual on Amazon. So hoping with that and this forum I can do as much as possible myself. I absolutely love this scooter it’s fun to ride great gas mileage (114mpg) and I could fit it in the corner of my garage . Still have the original tires on it which are still have good thread on it. Any suggestions on replacement tires when the time comes? Thanks all Be save.❤️🛵
normaljoe1
Year: 2021
Color: Red

Post by normaljoe1 »

Hello my name Matt 39 from the UK. I will be getting my new PCX at start of March. I have been ridding since i was 22 only up to 125cc. This will be my first new bike as i always has second hand ones. I am looking to learn as much as possible and meet some new people on the way.
xant14
Year: 2008
Color: Black

Post by xant14 »

Rob from Mental Mowbray Leicestershire UK here. Just bought an 2008 SH300 so found this forum. I do like the PCX, in particular the 150's I found in SE Asia. Do any of the 150's get onto the UK market?
I have a bigger bike also, but really looking forward to the SH arriving!
Respect guys.
dankly1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Silver

Post by dankly1 »

Welcome Matt and Rob! Congrats on the new bikes
2019 PCX150
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
1983 Suzuki FA50
Iron Butt Association #80052
rjd
Year: 2011
Color: white

Post by rjd »

Hello All

I am a 73 year old, retired, electrical engineer. Born and raised in Ohio. "Go bucks". I have loved tinkering with anything mechanical since I was a kid.

In 1962, at age 14, my dad bought me a used 1958 Allstate Highlander scooter made by Cushman.
1958 Allstate Cushman small.jpg
1958 Allstate Cushman small.jpg (206.9 KiB) Viewed 111566 times
As you can see from the picture, it was not exactly high tech. It had a stamped metal seat and the passenger got to sit on the gas tank. The passenger would place his feet on the pipe on either side of the engine where the flywheel blades on the left and the open spinning centrifugal clutch on the right got to nibble at their shoes. The front had a spring suspension and the rear was a hard-tail. It had a rear only pedal operated brake which at 50 mph, would allow you to lock up the rear tire and skid for a half mile. The brake was operated by a square cam that if not kept in adjustment, had a tendency to "cam over" and the pedal would go to the floor. You then had to get your foot under the pedal and lift up on it for some braking. The lighting was magneto only so the light intensity depended on engine speed. At engine idle, a lightning bug produced more light. You might think that my dad didn't like me very much if he would allow me to go out on that scooter but we lived in a rural area and for a 14 year old, that scooter was the "cat's whiskers".

Over the years, I have owned more than a dozen motorcycles and scooters. I gave up 2 -wheelers in the 80's when my daughter was born. We were busy with other things and money was tight and better spent on things like food, electricity etc. Around 2000, after 20 years, I got back into motorcycling with a Honda Shadow. About that time, my wife got her motorcycle endorsement but she decided against motorcycles in favor of scooters. We have since had a series of scooters, Elite 125, Reflex, Majesty and Silverwing

The best road bike that I have owned turned out to be a $500 barn find, 1977 Honda Goldwing. I got it in 2020 at the start of being confined to covid jail. If I was going to spend that much time at home, I needed something to work on to preserve my sanity. I spent a year cleaning, polishing, painting, rebuilding, replacing parts and finally got it back on the road. Old Goldwings don't have much of a resale value but I listed it on Craigslist for $3500 and it sold in a day.
small gwright.jpg
small gwright.jpg (167.21 KiB) Viewed 111566 times
We recently moved to Florida to be nearer to our daughter and her family. We sold all our two wheelers before the move and once we got situated down here, we bought a used Honda Reflex which was what my wife usually rode in Ohio. I recently bought a 2011 PCX 125 and we both love it. It is a hoot to ride.

This is a great site for all things PCX and I look forward to learning about the PCX and maybe contributing.

Have a great day! Ron
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Hello rjd and Welcome to our forum(s)! :)
What a great intro that was and what a fun group of bikes you've had/have! Agree, the pandemic definitely gave us opportunities we didn't have before - Mainly Time! It's always fun to keep busy at what we enjoy doing. So Bravo it Shows!
Enjoy Florida living and Honda riding. The weather is on your side there (most times).
Please keep us posted on your doings and adventures. Stay well, ride safely
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Tokkyu40
Year: 2020

Post by Tokkyu40 »

Hello! I just bought a brand new 2020 PCX ABS.
I liked the 20 year old Reflex I saw, but my Dad said, "Get something newer that you'll be able to get parts for down the road. Here's some money."
So okay, I did another search and decided on the Piaggio Liberty 150 or the PCX. The liberty would have been cheaper and a little more comfortable, but the PCX handled like a dream and Honda dealers are everywhere. Can't say the same for Vespa dealers.
I got started in the 1960s the old fashioned way, riding a 50cc push rod Honda single in the back yard. A scrambler with a Cub engine slung under a pressed steel frame. You remember those, right?
Then growing up with my Dad's various bikes that came through; the BMW R50 with the Earles fork (very plush!), the Moto Guzzi 750, the Ducati 250 scrambler (100 mph, 100 mpg; although not at the same time. Nice bike.) and the Morini 3-1/2.
My first scooter was a 1987 Helix which was "upgraded" to a Burgman 400. Overall, I liked the Honda better.
When I got the Piaggio BV250 to go with the Burgy I gave my Volvo to my brother. I wasn't driving it much anymore anyway, so paying for car insurance seemed like a waste.
Then the Beverly was lost in a crash (broke my shoulder. Four way fracture of the upper humerus, which the nurse said was actually less humorous than it sounds.
Last year the engine on the Burgman decided it didn't want to be an engine anymore, so my main transportation became a Huffy with a 350 watt Bafang mid-drive kit. It actually worked really well for 90% of what I wanted, but for the last 10% I finally gave up and started shopping for a new bike. Enter the PCX.
I've already ordered a taller windshield and am looking for a rack and tail box. I expect the bike to give good service. Although after the Suzuki, it does feel a little small.
A9ballkid
Color: Pearl White

Post by A9ballkid »

Hello folks! I’ve been lurking here and everywhere deliberating whether to get back out on 2 wheels…and if so, exactly how. I live in the western mountains of North Carolina which is beautiful riding country and I was really itching to get out and cruise around on all the great rural roads in the area. I finally settled on a mid displacement scooter and after that eventually gravitated to a PCX. I decided that the improvements of the 2021 model were worth buying new and I also liked the idea of the ABS & Traction Control. I put a down payment on my bike a couple months ago and just picked it up a couple hours away last Thursday. I’ve set up a nice training course on my cul de sac and I’ve been out doing Motojitsu riding skill drills a few times for a couple hours per session over the last few days. I rode sport/standards/&dual sports for years but I’ve been off 2 wheels for 20 years. I’m already loving the scoot and I’ve been riding in our large mountain community after doing drills and soon I’ll be out on the public roads. I’ve got a Shad 39l case ordered and I’ll probably get a national cycle windscreen whenever they tool up for the new model. I’m loving the scooter and my only minor gripes are a bit too much throttle slack for my taste and the fact that I think the rear brake lever also has a bit too much “play” before engagement. Both of those are easily remedied (I think)…and I’ll be addressing them soon. I’ve already mastered the 20x60 MSF box drill without braking in all 4 directions so I’m getting more comfortable by the hour. The scooter is so light and nimble I can’t wait to hit the twisties!
dankly1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by dankly1 »

Welcome A9! Glad you found us. There is a lot of great info from all over the world within these pages.

Cheers
Dankly
2019 PCX150
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
1983 Suzuki FA50
A9ballkid
Color: Pearl White

Post by A9ballkid »

dankly1 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:23 pm Welcome A9! Glad you found us. There is a lot of great info from all over the world within these pages.

Cheers
Dankly
Thanks for the welcome. Went down to the garage and did my throttle slack adjustment last night…I think it’s going to be a major improvement. There seemed to be almost a 1/2” of slop in it before adjustment and that was creating some annoying wrist angle before I got any fuel. The rear brake situation lever position isn’t as bad…but reducing the free play by 1/2 of the current amount should further increase control and response time. There is a lot of great info. On this site (not so much on 2021’s) and I look forward contributing if and when I might be helpful! Sure hope National Cycle gets moving on the windshield options soon. I’ve already installed the factory OEM rear rack from Honda. With my discount through my dealer it was cheaper than about any other option. I actually took one of the regular members advise and ordered the Yamaha version of the carbon fiber Shad 39l top case that has the back rest included. Supposed to be here in a week and I’m hoping (expecting) that it’s going to mount to the OEM rear carrier via the quick release hooks/latch w/o any fiddling!
dankly1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by dankly1 »

Taking slop out of the throttle and brakes should really improve your ride.

I don't have any info about it but I really hope the Yamaha case works out well for you. Send some pictures with the results once you get it figured out.
2019 PCX150
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
1983 Suzuki FA50
dankly1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by dankly1 »

rjd wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:11 am The best road bike that I have owned turned out to be a $500 barn find, 1977 Honda Goldwing.
Great looking Goldwing Ron! I really love the bikes from the mid 70s through mid 80s. My first bike was a 1982 KZ750 Spectre And I really enjoyed riding it around Idaho. I would love to have a new Kawasaki Z650 RS as it really reminds me of that era. This is the 50th Anniversary Edition they came out with this year.
2022-kawasaki-z-900-rs-50th-anniversary-edition.jpg
2022-kawasaki-z-900-rs-50th-anniversary-edition.jpg (76.52 KiB) Viewed 111279 times
Cheers!
Alex
2019 PCX150
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
1983 Suzuki FA50
Tyke_
Year: 2104
Color: Burgundy

Post by Tyke_ »

Hello!

I've just bought a 2014 pcx 125 with only 2,000 miles on the clock and i'm really looking forward to riding it. I'm a middle aged male from north west uk. This pcx has came a few weeks after i sold my long time servant scooter, a 2004 honda dylan 125, which after 10 years of ownership was starting to show its 18 years of age. Honda make great scooters and i'm so glad another honda replaced the dylan.

I've had bikes/scooters ranging from a 50cc off roader when i was 7 through to 900cc supersports. Off roaders/scooters/sports/super moto/all rounders. Scooters have their unique character for me with their twist n go easy riding style and low running costs. I was considering buying a nearly new Sym Jet 125 but found it difficult to find someone who serviced them - no such problem with a Honda. Glad i went with Honda.

So cool to see a forum dedicated to honda scooters, i have much reading to do. I've already started buying modified parts! Ultimately i'd like my pcx to be able to cruise at 56 mph on motorways so i don't get over taken by trucks (i don't think a stock pcx can cruise at 56? My old dylan couldn't really), so i'm researching on how to increase top speed.

Thanks for reading, have fun and stay safe ;)
Ranger2020
Color: White

Post by Ranger2020 »

Hello

Looking to p/u 2021 PCX next weekend. Found it only 40 miles from home. Started riding in 1975 on a Kawasaki triple 2 stroke 350. Looking forward to learning about the new bike.
dankly1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by dankly1 »

Tyke_ wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:28 am I've just bought a 2014 pcx 125 with only 2,000 miles on the clock and i'm really looking forward to riding it. I'm a middle aged male from north west uk.
Welcome Tyke! Glad you're here.

That's not many miles for an 8-year old scoot so I would recommend going through all the maintenance items that should have been done over the years. I would definitely replace engine oil, final gear oil, brake fluid (this is a big one), and coolant. Then inspect the tires, the CVT belt, make sure the wheel bearing aren't noisy, and ensure the head bearings are smooth and quiet. The valve clearance was supposed to be done at 600 miles and there is a VERY strong possibility that it wasn't done because a lot of casual riders blow it off. You can find tons of info about these things on this forum, just use the search function.

I hope you enjoy the new bike1

Cheers
dankly
2019 PCX150
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
1983 Suzuki FA50
Tyke_
Year: 2104
Color: Burgundy

Post by Tyke_ »

dankly1 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:42 am
Tyke_ wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:28 am I've just bought a 2014 pcx 125 with only 2,000 miles on the clock and i'm really looking forward to riding it. I'm a middle aged male from north west uk.
Welcome Tyke! Glad you're here.

That's not many miles for an 8-year old scoot so I would recommend going through all the maintenance items that should have been done over the years. I would definitely replace engine oil, final gear oil, brake fluid (this is a big one), and coolant. Then inspect the tires, the CVT belt, make sure the wheel bearing aren't noisy, and ensure the head bearings are smooth and quiet. The valve clearance was supposed to be done at 600 miles and there is a VERY strong possibility that it wasn't done because a lot of casual riders blow it off. You can find tons of info about these things on this forum, just use the search function.

I hope you enjoy the new bike1

Cheers
dankly
Thanks for the welcome dankly! My pcx has a new mot so i'm hoping things like bearings are ok, it also has "full service history" so yes indeed I will be checking it thoroughly to see what has and has not been done, the seller told me its most recent service had only been about 100 miles ago. Yeh I hope I enjoy it, these days I get more of a kick out of seeing what mpg I'm doing rather than how fast I'm going/get somewhere.
MotoNoob81
Year: 2020

Post by MotoNoob81 »

Hello all, looking to buy a 2020 Honda PCX and came here with some questions. I'm from Texas and look forward to getting more info from you guys!! Thanks!!
trobbelke
Year: 2011
Color: Grey

Post by trobbelke »

Hello all,
I recently replaced my 2008 Chinese scooter with a 2011 Honda PCX 125, which is an entirely different ride. The Benelli feels more sporty and very well suited for inner city traffic, the Honda feels more relaxed and better suited for countryside riding, and I'm sure it won't fail me as often as the Benelli has...

Just one more thing: the centre stand is missing...
2 scooters 1.jpg
2 scooters 1.jpg (451.8 KiB) Viewed 110902 times