No dice on Halloween ride!

Pictures of your scooter, ride reports, and day trips.

Moderator: Modsquad

fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

No dice on Halloween ride!

Post by fish »

As much as I wanted to ride my scooter in for coffee this Halloween morning....

Well, I can do hard rain, and pitch dark, and fog, and wet leaves -

But, riding on black salad covered pavement with rain pounding on my helmet... and road stripes disappearing in oncoming headlights and fog - is not a whole lot of fun.

The boys were out in the street terrorizing passing cars and late-coming customers. As usual.

The ape owns the largest pizza shop in town, while the clown owns the best coffee shop.

I had to make do with a quick ride yesterday....before the rain came.

It is not looking good for a ride with comfortable temps again for the foreseeable future!

fish
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: No dice on Halloween ride!

Post by Mel46 »

It has been raining so hard for so long in the last day or so...no let up... that Flash Flood Watches and Warnings have come out from the local weather folks. They said to expect 2" to 4" of rain on already soaked ground.

I used my lawn tractor to do one last cut and gathering of the leaves just before the rain let loose. Waste of energy. The lawn looks just as covered as it was before I ran the lawn mower over it. The rain hit so quickly that I haven't even had time to cover my lawn tractor yet. Too late now.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

But, riding on black salad covered pavement with rain pounding on my helmet... and road stripes disappearing in oncoming headlights and fog - is not a whole lot of fun.
Definitely a wise choice to play it safe . . ..

Another thing that would be hard to see is any small diameter chunks of branch . . . "Devil Dog" size . . . that can send you off before you'd know what was happening. Think of them as linear ball bearings. :roll:

Good pics!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Well, Halloween was a bust. It finally stopped raining last night, followed closely by plummeting temperatures, with winds at 14 mph. This is the SOUTH! We don't get cold weather...well, much...certainly not this early.

I rode my bike last week in nice weather. This week? Nope. Cold, wet, leaves on the road, branches down, and just plain yucky on the roads.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Brice
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by Brice »

Through the fall I have how to stay warm in cold mornings in the 30s. More recently I'm coping with how to navigate in the dark dim of dawn. Still other mornings over the summer and fall it was and keep clear sight with the mist from fog obscuring my visor.

Earlier this week I rode my commute started in the dark, cold and misty fog. Not a fun ride.

With only 1 of the three circumstances I might have arrived cheerful and invigorated. When all three hazards descended simultaneously, arriving at work was a relief.

Thankfully the ride home was absolutely gorgeous and the stress hormones still surging through my body all morning dissipated into the autumn afternoon air.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Brice wrote:Through the fall I have how to stay warm in cold mornings in the 30s. More recently I'm coping with how to navigate in the dark dim of dawn. Still other mornings over the summer and fall it was and keep clear sight with the mist from fog obscuring my visor.

Earlier this week I rode my commute started in the dark, cold and misty fog. Not a fun ride.

With only 1 of the three circumstances I might have arrived cheerful and invigorated. When all three hazards descended simultaneously, arriving at work was a relief.

Thankfully the ride home was absolutely gorgeous and the stress hormones still surging through my body all morning dissipated into the autumn afternoon air.
Yeah, it can make you grumpy.
I do it for the ride 90%, 10% for the coffee at the end.
Just will NOT set out in a driving rain in the dark
, .....don't feel so foolish if caught in a storm, dark or day, for it was "an act of nature"!.
Fish
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Well, now that Daylight Savings Time is over, we set the clocks back one hour. That should help the rides. That means that if you went out at 6 a.m. in the dark, for coffee, the same darkness would be renamed 5 a.m.... you could actually leave the house now with some sunlight!

When I was working it was a dangerous thing to ride to work in the dark. I always took the car. In the 25 years that I went to the same job every day of the work week, I was involved in multiple accidents...absolutely none of them my fault.

In one accident a very, very old couple from Florida pulled out of a motel without stopping for traffic. Their van hit my Volvo broadside, and instead of stopping they pressed down more on the accelerator, pushing my car into other cars, all of us stopped at a light.

In another case a young lady was looking down as her car plowed into our Volvo's rear at 45 mph. We were stopped directly behind a school bus that was picking up kids. She told the police that she didn't see the big yellow school bus with the flashing lights! Huh!

In any case, it is dangerous out there, so be double careful in the very early hours of the morning.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

hondamatic
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2017 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by hondamatic »

I just wish it would stay either daylight saving time or standard time. I read an article that claimed it affects the health of individuals, causes more accidents for about two weeks after a time change and does not save that much energy. I'm just glad we are both retired so the time changes don't affect us as much as when we were working.
Ride fast and keep it between the fences!
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

I just wish it would stay either daylight saving time or standard time.
I totally agree . . ..

The history of it goes back to the late 1800's and into WWI and in various countries.

It was an idea based on efficiency and better use of daylight.

Talk about control freaks getting their way! :lol:

Business operations go on day and night and schools have night classes. So what's the point? :roll:

The beat goes on either way . . ..