How to hit rev limiter with 13 gram rollers? Add windscreen?

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

grndslm
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: Black

How to hit rev limiter with 13 gram rollers? Add windscreen?

Post by grndslm »

Just installed my NCY variator, drive face, 13 gram rollers, new belt, new clutch bearings, and new clutch bell with better inner grip (& just a tad lighter).

It's a 2013, so I was able to get it up to 65 when I first got it. But I've been topping out at 63 mph more often than not for the past couple thousand miles.

After changing to the above & 13 gram rollers, I feel like my acceleration is ever so slightly decreased, but I can easily hit 70 mph now. This morning, on a long stretch to work, I was able to hit 74 mph and stay with the big dogs at the front of traffic. It feels pretty dang good. Not to mention the seat feels SOOOO much nicer after humpectomy.

But I'm curious what I should expect the rev limiter to stop at if I take it on the interstate. I think I've read that people have gotten their bikes to 80 mph or even faster.

I obviously have to tuck to get to 74 mph... so would a windscreen help me *consistently* get to that speed? Or would it become a hindrance in crosswinds?? Don't really have an issue with tucking, but if it's consistently better with no negatives, why not??

And since I'm not able to hit the rev limiter, I'm assuming that there are other "power moves" I can make to help me get there... Like better exhaust, maybe better intake??? Basically, what's the next logical step after variator and rollers?? (I might even buy some 13.5 gr & 14 gr rollers just to test the difference between accel & top speed on them all as well)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Re: How to hit rev limiter with 13 gram rollers? Add windscr

Post by Mel46 »

The addition of a tall windshield would help your comfort while riding, and would probably help divert the wind better than your body would. However, its main purpose is not to increase your speed, just your comfort.

Keep in mind that your bike (PCX 150) was set up for economy by Honda. It was never meant to "get up there with the big boys". That does not mean that it couldn't. It just means that it is a light bike, meant for cruising around town, mainly between 35 and 55 mph.

If you want to kick its output higher than the 153cc, 13.6 hp then you will need to get a big bore kit (BBK) for it. The easiest one would be the Takegawa 170cc one. I think someone is/was working on a 194cc one, but I haven't heard much about it recently, so they may have shelved it.

Keep in mind that you probably would have to upgrade the gearing in order to use that extra power though.

Here is a thread that discusses it, if you are interested. It

https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4559
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
grndslm
Regular User
Regular User

Post by grndslm »

What I read was...

A windscreen is a hindrance to speed. Opening up the exhaust is the only thing that will add top speed without destroying your acceleration.
grndslm
Regular User
Regular User

Post by grndslm »

... I'm not the type to start altering engine displacement and adding other "upper echelon" mods.

But maybe a big bore kit on this bike would be fun. Was really just thinking intake, exhaust, and maybe altering fuel mapping or something. But I love the PCX so much, that I might actually consider the big bore kit after I buy *another* PCX.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

Sorry to say you bought a 125 or 150 when you really need a 300. In addition , the light weight of the PCX makes it really dangerous on the interstate highway.

Search for a big bore kit, you need more displacement, not a bunch of minor performance add-ons.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
E. Foster Salsbury
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 NSS300A

Post by E. Foster Salsbury »

grndslm wrote:I obviously have to tuck to get to 74 mph... so would a windscreen help me *consistently* get to that speed? Or would it become a hindrance in crosswinds?? Don't really have an issue with tucking, but if it's consistently better with no negatives, why not??
Crouching behind a medium height screen with your knees and elbows tucked in will help you achieve a higher top speed. Wind resistace is a big factor over 70mph with 13.5hp. If you feel wind hitting any part of your body you are reducing top speed. Upgrade your screen before doing any motor or exhaust modifications. It's money well spent if you are riding on the highway a lot and it makes the ride more comfortable too. 8)

The human body is a giant sail compared to an aerodynamic windscreen and the type of jacket you wear could slow you down too.
2.jpg
2.jpg (49.29 KiB) Viewed 1972 times
Salsbury
2015 Forza 300ABS-2km 10/17/2015
grndslm
Regular User
Regular User

Post by grndslm »

Jge64 wrote:Sorry to say you bought a 125 or 150 when you really need a 300. In addition , the light weight of the PCX makes it really dangerous on the interstate highway.

Search for a big bore kit, you need more displacement, not a bunch of minor performance add-ons.
Umm.... I don't NEED a 300. I need my PCX *and* I want it to go as fast as it possibly can for as little $$ and effort as possible. Duh.

Think about it... a Yamaha Smax 155 tops out at, what? 77 mph?? You don't mean to tell me that a stock 155 cc scooter goes 77 mph and a stock 150 cc scooter goes 63 to 65 mph... and the only differentiator is 5 cc's & a wind deflector?!?

It's all about trade-offs, and I'm sure there are options before the big bore kit that will pep my bike up. I have seen others say they've hit the rev limiter after installing 13 gram rollers, going 80 mph or more. Surely they didn't ALL have big bore kits, did they?

Point is... I've considered many other bikes, and there is no other scooter in any other size that I find as comfortable or that checks as many boxes as the PCX. The Honda CTX is probly the only other bike I'd consider... *BUT* I really not interested in messing with external storage, losing my footboards with multiple riding positions, dealing with an electronic shifter, and losing every opportunity I have to brag that I ride a scooter because they're better than motorcycles. ;)
E. Foster Salsbury wrote:Crouching behind a medium height screen with your knees and elbows tucked in will help you achieve a higher top speed. Wind resistace is a big factor over 70mph with 13.5hp. If you feel wind hitting any part of your body you are reducing top speed. Upgrade your screen before doing any motor or exhaust modifications. It's money well spent if you are riding on the highway a lot and it makes the ride more comfortable too. 8)
That's my fear about the windscreen, tho.... at higher speeds with 30 mph crosswinds, that thing won't only be a hindrance, but it could also cause me to completely lose control, no?

I really don't have an issue as it is right now with such crosswinds. Just stick my knee out like a sail in the direction the wind is coming from and I keep up right. That was a problem for me the first time I was riding my PCX on the highway in crummy weather, but a quick Google provided that helpful tip and I haven't had the problem since. Guess what I'm saying is... I can harness the power of the wind with my knees, but I feel like I won't always have that opportunity with the windscreen.
Lafree
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016

Post by Lafree »

Hi, when your doing 74mph on a motorway don't forget you still need to stop with crap rear drum brake and no abs ,Yamaha S Max has much superior braking. lafree.
CTPCX
Regular User
Regular User
Color: red

Post by CTPCX »

I put a National tall (their mid size) windshield on my '16 PCX and immediately got another few MPG out of it. Plus way more comfortable to ride. I do duck into it when cold or hitting higher speeds. I rarely ride on the highway except to cross the local bridge over the CT river. usually there is a cross wind there and I haven't found it a problem with the windshield.
2015 Ruckus
2016 PCX
E. Foster Salsbury
Regular User
Regular User

grndslm wrote:That's my fear about the windscreen, tho.... at higher speeds with 30 mph crosswinds, that thing won't only be a hindrance, but it could also cause me to completely lose control, no?
No I don't think you will lose control because of the windscreen. I think the crosswind hitting your body has way more effect than hitting the windscreen. That's why you should have a very lose grip on the bars in a crosswind. When the wind hits your shoulder and you have a tight grip it makes you pull on the bars unexpectedly. Having a windscreen will help because you can crouch behind it during gusty crosswinds. 8)
Salsbury
grndslm
Regular User
Regular User

Post by grndslm »

Sounds like you guys are saying that the only way for me to hit the rev limiter with 13 gram rollers is to roll down a mountain.

I thought I saw others claim to hit 76 to 84 just from changing rollers + variator. I'm guessing they made a few more changes as well, or they were downhill riders...
E. Foster Salsbury
Regular User
Regular User

Is your goal to hit top speed or hit the rev limiter?
Salsbury
E. Foster Salsbury
Regular User
Regular User

You should read Heedehcheenuh thread. 2015 Honda PCX150 Black Metallic (Performance information). Chuck D is the man!

Link.... viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7857
Salsbury
E. Foster Salsbury
Regular User
Regular User

grndslm wrote:.

Think about it... a Yamaha Smax 155 tops out at, what? 77 mph?? You don't mean to tell me that a stock 155 cc scooter goes 77 mph and a stock 150 cc scooter goes 63 to 65 mph... and the only differentiator is 5 cc's & a wind deflector?!?
Does the smax have a 4 valve head and pcx 2 valve?
Salsbury
E. Foster Salsbury
Regular User
Regular User

2013 pcx 13hp
smax 14.8hp
duh
Salsbury
grndslm
Regular User
Regular User

Post by grndslm »

E. Foster Salsbury wrote:Is your goal to hit top speed or hit the rev limiter?
Right now, I'm really trying to figure out at what speed will the rev limiter activates with 13 gram rollers...

If the rev limiter won't go off until 84 mph (with 13 gr rollers), but I'm only able to hit 75 mph currently... I'm wondering if moving halfway to 14 grams might actually provide me with a more optimal setup. . .

Or if there's another way (intake, exhaust, etc.) to add power on the cheap. If I'm already tucked and topping out at 75, I don't think a windscreen is gonna help me exceed that threshold.

Ideally... More power between 70 and 75 is what I'm looking for. Changing the gearing won't provide that for me. Perhaps exhaust is my only hope? I don't see people talk about intake mods too often, if ever, really....
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

Exhaust won’t do a damn thing on a scooter. I replaced my stock with a malossi and then an upgraded K&N filter for intake and exhaust mods, it was barely perceptible difference. However it sounded a lot better. I wanted a much better acceleration off the line for urban riding, and got that with a New variator and weight change.

And the reason I above said that you need more displacement is because although you may reach 70 through 75 mph you are at the top of your game on a 150 class machine, which means it’s constantly in the extremely high Rpm range, which is not great to live there -for long-term reliability, and the noise/vibration /harshness (NVH) is high. Only with an increase in displacement can you get back down in the middle of the power band and have room for safety as in overtaking trucks.

There are no cheap mods you can do on a 150 scooter that will change the performance Substantially . A vaiator/weight change will shift/move the power curve, and add a bit to the top end, but that’s it.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
E. Foster Salsbury
Regular User
Regular User

Exhaust won't help with a 2 valve head. Honda needs to upgrade this motor with a 4 valve head.

75mph with 13hp is about all you're gonna get. 72 is probably more realistic. You wanna do 80mph you need about 16hp. You'll never get that out of a 150cc.

You could try. Get a bbk, fuel controller, upgraded fuel injector and an exhaust. But that would be crazy, just go buy something bigger.

How many miles on the drive belt? A worn drive belt can take a few mph off top speed.
Salsbury
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

My 2016 will go 73 mph on a long stretch but I weigh only approx 150 lbs. Didn't try ducking though.
Seriously, the PCX already feels unstable at that speed that I'm never really doing it anymore.
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Ok, here is the scoop from someone who has had the NCY variator, drive face, and 13 gram rollers for quite awhile now.

The rollers help your "off the line" acceleration but not your topend. The variator helps your topend. The maximum I have been able to get out of mine is 10 mph over it's normal max. The PCX 150 has a general max speed of 62 - 64 mph. With the NCY setup, a Givi tall windshield, and MCG tires...as well as a belt with low miles on it... my maximum on a good day is 75 mph. At that speed it is such a light bike that it feels like it is floating, and it is susceptible to cross winds and heavy truck suction, making control a scary thing. We have taken both of our bikes on the freeways successfully but it is a scary venture.

If you insist on running at those higher speeds and you want to feel safe, you will need a bigger, heavier bike. If you don't want to invest in one but still want to push your PCX, you might have to consider a Big Bore Kit (BBK). Keep in mind on the BBK that you would probably need to upgrade or piggyback a fuel controller as well. In every case, adding a taller windshield is important because it helps divert the wind around you.

So...those are the facts. Others here who have gone the route you wish to go have seen it and done it all before. I am passing on what I know and what I have read here throughout the years.

By the way, the 2013 model has 153cc engine and different gearing than those that followed it, but it still does not have the horsepower of the Smax.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers