Oil Overfilled By Dealer and Left Brake Handle Vibrating

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

BamaFan
Year: 2019
Color: Bright Bronze

Oil Overfilled By Dealer and Left Brake Handle Vibrating

Post by BamaFan »

I Just Received My New/Used 2019 Honda Pcx With 8 Miles and Now Have a 100 Miles On it and Noticed the Oil Was a Little Overfilled.I Know I Should Have Checked it But was a Little Late,Do You Think I Have Hurt Anything By Running it 92 Miles With it Slightly Overfilled? I Have Siphoned it Out To The Correct Level.One Other Question When I Start it Up On The Center Stand The Left Handle Brake Shakes Pretty Bad and Rattles,Should I Be Worried About it or Just Chalk it up as Being New and Needing Time To Break in and Smooth Out? Runs Smooth When Riding.THANKS and Glad to Be a Member!!
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Re: Oil Overfilled By Dealer and Left Brake Handle Vibrating

Post by Jge64 »

Any weight that is on the end of an appendage is subject to vibration, such as handlebars, levers, mirrors and license plate. You will always get some vibration because these are single cylinder bikes, no amount of balancers in the engine can get rid of everything. As far as the overfill, again don’t worry about it, Honda would have massive warranty problems if the bikes fell apart or had a problem being slightly overfilled… They tested for this.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

The instructions for how to check your oil level on your 2019 PCX are on page 73 of the owner's manual.

It's important that you do not screw in the dipstick when attempting to get an oil level reading. Just insert the dipstick until it seats. If you screw it in you will not get an accurate reading.

When you have a good reading just screw the dipstick back in and tighten.

Also it's a good idea to check the oil when it's warm. Again, check page 73 of your owner's manual for proper instructions. :geek:

Oh . . . and congratulations on your new PCX!

Just wait until you see the fuel economy and how quickly the savings will add up. :D
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011

Post by maddiedog »

BamaFan wrote:Do You Think I Have Hurt Anything By Running it 92 Miles With it Slightly Overfilled? I Have Siphoned it Out To The Correct Level.
Nope! Definitely not. You would have noticed way sooner than 92 miles if it was bad enough to cause damage. I'd ride it, enjoy it, and not stress about it anymore. 8)
BamaFan wrote:One Other Question When I Start it Up On The Center Stand The Left Handle Brake Shakes Pretty Bad and Rattles,Should I Be Worried About it or Just Chalk it up as Being New and Needing Time To Break in and Smooth Out? Runs Smooth When Riding.THANKS and Glad to Be a Member!!
That's pretty common in general on scooters, I wouldn't worry about that either. If it bothers you, I'd first try tightening the bolt a bit to see if it takes up some slack. If that still doesn't do it, you can shim it with a neoprene washer and it'll absorb the vibrating. It can be a bit hard to get the washer in there though, the bolt for the brake handle is usually pretty tight.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Going to try for beating 2 U to this ..but what causes the Caps to pop on for every word on OP?
Fish
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

fish wrote:Going to try for beating 2 U to this ..but what causes the Caps to pop on for every word on OP?
Fish

Suffering from premature capitalisation?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Just...ahh... 'cause.

Hey, he's a Bama fan. Give him a break. When I went to college in 'bama there were a lot of students who had not taken grammar in school, so college was a really big problem for them.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
OldGuywhoTinkers
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by OldGuywhoTinkers »

First, there has been a certain oil fill discrepancy over the years. My manual for my 2013 PCX 150 says that the engine takes 800 cc's of oil or almost the whole quart. The manuals for 2010-2012 say 900 cc. Think about that.

I think that is how I lost my engine 16 months ago. In general we usually try not to overfill engines to avoid foaming the oil and perhaps throwing excess out a breather tube, but this is not a 300 cubic inch V-8. The bottom of the air filter housing has a clever ? 1/4" ? 1/2 inch long clear vinyl tube sealed at the end. Any oil that works its way in the air filter housing will drain down to this catch tube. That keeps small amounts of excess oil from dripping and staining things below the rear face housing.

I and my independent motorcycle mechanic are agreed just to pour the entire quart into the engine (or 500 cc's less) and right now this is causing zero problems for me.

For some reason the front rotor is not as problem free as a car or a larger motorcycle. On mine, it tends toward vibration. I have had to sand the front rotor two times already because of pad cake up on the front disk.

At any rate, I doubt seriously that anything is damaged. Change the oil often with either a synthetic you trust or the Honda oils. I would use Honda Synthetic 10W40 during hot summers, and a 10W30 oil starting in fall and through winter and spring. I mean, its a one quart oil change. I use a vacuum pump oil changer which speeds things up and I believe my system removes 99% of the oil and all the dirt sucked up in suspension. Just make sure the the engine is at full operating temperature however you change it.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

you you wrote:
fish wrote:Going to try for beating 2 U to this ..but what causes the Caps to pop on for every word on OP?
Fish

Suffering from premature capitalisation?
I surrender ,'=}

Fizz
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Engine oil capacities may vary over the years and the amount of oil quoted varies by about 100ml if you remove the strainer gauge too. Just follow what the manual recommends and check the level as you go (slow down near the end and check it) - not difficult, and if you overfill, take some out.
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Year: 2015
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

Just be careful not to suck too long on the straw. :lol: :lol: :lol: