One Year Living with the Honda Forza 2018: the Bottom Line

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Re: One Year Living with the Honda Forza 2018: the Bottom Li

Post by davenowherejones »

I wonder if the downhill serpentines does much to the clutch?

I also wonder if the foam cvt air filter is installed correctly or missing?

And how often it gets cleaned? Soap and water is all it needs.
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

FWIW I notice on my XMax that at extremely slow speeds over rough pavement with irregularities in addition to the chunky asphalt I experience an anxious ride like the scoot is a race horse chomping at the bit to bolt. The particular park area that I'm thinking of has a high water table and borders a river . . . hence the road surface irregularities.

I attribute it to the belt reacting to the uneven road surface by bouncing around . . . creating a wave action . . . and the speed being so slow that the clutch is on the edge of release (as in coasting like when you are near a full stop at an intersection . . . can feel the difference between engagement and disengagement). It's not an issue. The XMax performs remarkably. We live in an imperfect world . . . and so it is written. :roll: :o :lol:
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Ride like you stole it!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Old Grinner wrote:FWIW I notice on my XMax that at extremely slow speeds over rough pavement with irregularities in addition to the chunky asphalt I experience an anxious ride like the scoot is a race horse chomping at the bit to bolt. The particular park area that I'm thinking of has a high water table and borders a river . . . hence the road surface irregularities.

I attribute it to the belt reacting to the uneven road surface by bouncing around . . . creating a wave action . . . and the speed being so slow that the clutch is on the edge of release (as in coasting like when you are near a full stop at an intersection . . . can feel the difference between engagement and disengagement). It's not an issue. The XMax performs remarkably. We live in an imperfect world . . . and so it is written. :roll: :o :lol:
You do know its got traction control...?
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

You do know its got traction control...?
Yes, and it reminds me every time I start it up. :D

Certainly like having that feature when it's wet out and I'm on a road with a lot of poured sealant repairs.

My XMax only exhibits the "nervous" characteristics in one place I occasionally visit. Other than that it's smooth and strong.

I really think it has to do with the kind of asphalt mix they used combined with the surface irregularities. It does make the scoot vibrate but not as bad as those "Rumble Strips" they carve into the shoulders of highways to wake up sleepy drivers. As much as I strive to remain steady and slow on the throttle it occasionally gets eager like a pup on a leash . . . or something like that. :?

Also there is no free play in my throttle grip or rattle.

My 125 Zuma does not have traction control but it has fatter tires and a lot less torque so that particular park road surface doesn't seem to effect it.

Much about nothing I know but figured I'd mention it. :geek:
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

My 125 Zuma does not have traction control but it has fatter tires
Corrective note:

The Zuma only appears to have fatter tires due to the contrast in size and mass of the machine compared to the heavier/bulkier XMax. My foolish assumption.

The fronts on both machines are 120/70 and the rear on the Zuma is a 130/70 compared to 140/70 for the XMax.

When you consider the 12 inch wheels vs the taller 14 and 15 inch wheels it also can make a difference over surface irregularities and pot holes.
halluinoid
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018
Color: blue

Post by halluinoid »

the Forza 300 has torque control which can be switched off but who would switch it off? for what reason?
2018 Honda Forza 300cc
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

You switch off traction control on certain road conditions i.e. going downhill on gravel, etc. etc.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

You switch off traction control on certain road conditions i.e. going downhill on gravel, etc. etc.
Just for the heck of it the next time I take a ride into that park I'll try switching off the TCS just to see if it makes a difference. I don't think it will but if it does I'll be surprised.

After I take a break and some pics the TCS should automatically go on when I restart the engine.

Now if we can only get some decent weather. A bit of rain will do in the mean time to wash the salt/sand off the roads too. Further inland they got more snow than I did. :D
Arguz
Color: silver

Post by Arguz »

davenowherejones wrote:That sounds like total bs. There is no way it needs cleaning after every 3000 km. I have over 120,000 km on my 2014. It has never had to be "cleaned."

Ride it harder.

I never said it needs to be "cleaned" every 3000 km. But the first 3000 km I was driving on very steep mountain roads (on full throttle) so the only BS comments here is from you. If you cant contribute with some facts its better you go out and drive on your flat roads and once in a while use some throttle.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Arguz wrote:
davenowherejones wrote:That sounds like total bs. There is no way it needs cleaning after every 3000 km. I have over 120,000 km on my 2014. It has never had to be "cleaned."

Ride it harder.

I never said it needs to be "cleaned" every 3000 km. But the first 3000 km I was driving on very steep mountain roads (on full throttle) so the only BS comments here is from you. If you cant contribute with some facts its better you go out and drive on your flat roads and once in a while use some throttle.
I live in the mountains of British Columbia, Canada. My house is at sea level almost and I ride up the Coquihalla Pass at 1244 meters or 4081 feet on a regular basis. I also ride long distances on a regular basis. 500 km days are common with speeds up to 120 kph for long times.

What kind of elevations do you have in your areas? Paved or dirt roads? What speeds?

I did hundreds of kilometers of gravel roads going to the Yukon Territory in Canada.

I weigh about 200 pounds (90 kg) ready to ride. How much weight are you putting on your Forza?

It sounds like your clutch is getting glazed.
Austins
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016 Forza 300

Post by Austins »

smoothOperator wrote:Postscript:
I think the problem is very much due to the type of use. Here in the mountainous country, I drive up very steep serpentines at full throttle. That's a lot of fun, but it probably also leads to a higher load on the clutch.
People who drive mostly flat country roads may not have the problem at all.
How is your clutch now, have you rid the bike of judder at take off and slow speed !?

You don't have enough posts, so I can't pm you...
smoothOperator

Post by smoothOperator »

after i changed the clutch 3 month ago at 12.000km everything was pretty good like new.
Now, 4.000 km later, the same problem starts again. Still very slightly, but getting worse day by day.

Any suggestions?
Do i have to change the clutch again and again every 4-5.000 km?
Is there a better alternative to the stock from Honda?
Austins
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Austins »

Hi mate, well, we are in the same boat, I really don't know what is a good, permanent solution... ! I think, like yourself , here in Thailand we have very high temperature problem on our clutch. A Honda mechanic said whatever you do it comes back aftet a while.... On Lazada they advertise aftermarket Carbon/Copper clutch shoes, but I have not tried any yet. There is also Malossi Delta clutch and bell, that looks on paper of high quality, but need to order from abroad and who knows..

See my other thread, a friend suggested putting some heat resistant grease, so I might try that before replacing everything...
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

hi guys,

had the same problem, but with a pcx..

here's the thread ..HTH

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9125

i think these clutch shoes are pretty common in Thailand now, if not contact me and i can help you get one at the shop where i got mine..
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
Austins
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Austins »

So since last year that you have changed your clutch shoe and bell to aftermarket from that guy, is it still good and no maintenance needed in that part... !?
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

Yes, a year and a half by now. No stutter so far. But I'm guessing I'm also due for replacement soon as the shoes are thinning.

You still need to do regular cleaning of the clutch and variator area, as usual.
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

halluinoid wrote:the Forza 300 has torque control which can be switched off but who would switch it off? for what reason?

Something else to torque about?
Martin J
Color: Black

Post by Martin J »

I went in to my local Honda dealer recently, hoping to test ride and maybe purchase a Forza 300.
However, they had sold out and the salesman told me that Honda UK had run out of stock too, due to the slowdown of manufacturing due to covid19.
He said my best bet was to come back after Christmas!
Yamaha 900 Diversion '96
Suzuki GS550E '81
Benelli TRK502 '21
Honda PCX 125 '18
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

140,000 km on my 2014 Honda Forza 300 clutch. Never been cleaned and works perfectly.