Variator rollers - a right and wrong way to fit, apparently

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Variator rollers - a right and wrong way to fit, apparently

Post by iceman »

Hi all,
Often people wonder which way the rollers should be fitted in the variator channels, well someone posted a link to an explanation which suggests they should all face the same way, and there is a right way to fit them too (possibly due to which direction the variator turns and g-forces pulling them to one side) - 2 pages of info
https://www.adrenalin-pedstop.co.uk/Tut ... 3IBPa74PoY
From this, I believe I fitted them the wrong direction, all the same sides going round but with the sunken faces the opposite of what it suggests. I copied what came out which was direct from Honda.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Re: Variator rollers - a right and wrong way to fit, appare

Post by WhiteNoise »

Hi ya iceman :) please do us a favor by paying attention to where you're posting new threads. I have moved a few of yours as of late. Not bitchin' just a reminder. Let's try to keep topics where they're discovered (sooner), read and hopefully replied to.

You just get soooo excited, you forget :P "I" get that! :lol:
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

I did check before posting, it was not clear where to post them as this post is not calling for technical assistance, just passing on thoughts on how things should be, and I see lots of such posts in 'general' all the time.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Being one of those who double checks everything I do, when I installed the NCY rollers, I set the new rollers and variator beside the original variator and rollers as they came off of my scooter. Then I made sure that the new rollers were facing the same direction as those on the original Honda variator before installing the new variator on my bike. I had concerns before taking my bike apart, but if Honda put the original ones a certain way, that is what I would do too.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

smartphone cam pics are taken Before and during any teardown I do on my vehicles, esp when I’m rewiring..
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

I thought this is common knowledge on all scooters.

The side of the rollers with more polymer should be the one hitting the variator roller's wall once it starts rotating.
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

There is very little DIY information for those learning to take their scooters apart. That is why we have this forum. Without it, and Maddiedog, many of us would not have attempted to do our own maintenance. Much of the youtube teardown videos were created after this forum can into existence.

Thank you Maddiedog.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

alx123 wrote:I thought this is common knowledge on all scooters.

The side of the rollers with more polymer should be the one hitting the variator roller's wall once it starts rotating.

I never knew this.

Hitting by being hit or hitting by hitting?
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

If one side of the roller weight has more of the metal core exposed on that side - it goes to the left when dropping it into the slot.
Buggypartsnw pointed this out years ago.
Fish
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

https://www.adrenalin-pedstop.co.uk/Tut ... rial8.aspx

this link probably explains it better than I can LOL
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

Thanks all for this thread, it's very helpfull.
MacDaddy
Year: 2018

Post by MacDaddy »

Thanks, I'm pretty new to scooters and only knew to turn all the rollers the same direction, not which direction. I recently put on a NCY variator and it's a little nosier than stock so I'll have to take it apart and have a look. P.S. I really like the variator.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

alx123 wrote:https://www.adrenalin-pedstop.co.uk/Tut ... rial8.aspx
this link probably explains it better than I can LOL
Which is the exact link I posted at the start of this thread - anyhow, my rollers came fitted the opposite way from Honda as I had had no work done at a dealer of Garage, and when I took mine apart with the variator flat on a table, all six rollers were fitted with the 'most' polymer facing to the left when sat in the channels, not as per the link.
Did Honda get it wrong? (my bike had done 19,200 miles when I 1st looked at them, and besides some small flat spots the rollers looked in good shape). The more 'metal' side of the rollers and the variator walls looked fine despite apparently being fitted wrongly by Honda.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Just pondering this - if the variator spins anti-clockwise when looking front on with the cover off (not taking mine apart to check) then fitting the rollers with the 'most polymer' to the lhs when placed into the channels, as mine were and not as per that link makes sense as the rollers would then have the 'polymer' side pressing against the roller wall as it spins round. Maybe Honda got it right! Remember the roller plate and rollers are flipped 180 degree's when you fit it back on.
Be interesting to see how rollers have been fiited to other peoples PCX's for comparison (from Honda and not after work has been done which may be wrong!)
Loht Bai
Year: 2015
Color: Grey

Post by Loht Bai »

iceman wrote:Just pondering this - if the variator spins anti-clockwise when looking front on with the cover off (not taking mine apart to check) then fitting the rollers with the 'most polymer' to the lhs when placed into the channels, as mine were and not as per that link makes sense as the rollers would then have the 'polymer' side pressing against the roller wall as it spins round. Maybe Honda got it right! Remember the roller plate and rollers are flipped 180 degree's when you fit it back on.
Be interesting to see how rollers have been fitted to other peoples PCX's for comparison (from Honda and not after work has been done which may be wrong!)
Your point of preponderance sure makes sense to this novice and has peeked my curiosity! I have just opened the variator on my recently purchased used 2015 PCX, (10,190 mi. on the odometer), to replace the rollers. The rollers that were in the variator were 15.5g and positioned with the more 'metal' side of the rollers facing to the left hand side . ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
grndslm
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black

Post by grndslm »

I would think the rhs would make more sense... as when you are accelerating, the polymer would need to smoothly roll against that right side. Variator spinning counter-clockwise means the rollers at the top would be rolling against the right. When letting off the gas, the rollers would more or less just "drop" to the center of the variator.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Whats the downside of not getting the rollers correct.No biggy???
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

easyrider wrote:Whats the downside of not getting the rollers correct.No biggy???
Only that one side of the rollers rubs against the slider wall as g-force's push it out and following the direction of spin, and thus it's said the most polymer side should be placed facing that wall.
Mice were fitted (by Honda) with the most polymer side facing to the lhs with the variator plate face down on a surface with the rear facing you - so I followed that practice. However, when flipped and seated, that would actually mean the 'less polymer side' is rolling against the wall if the direction of travel is anti-clockwise, which I believe it is. After 19,000 miles, mine had flat bits but still looked perfect on the 'least' polymer side, no bare metal so if not fake and poor quality, it should make little difference - or so it would seem. I may take it apart and re-fit them when it turns to Spring again, but can't be bothered no it's rainy, cold and windy.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

easyrider wrote:Whats the downside of not getting the rollers correct.No biggy???

Not in the cosmic scheme of things...
grndslm
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black

Post by grndslm »

iceman wrote:Mine were fitted (by Honda) with the most polymer side facing to the lhs with the variator plate face down on a surface with the rear facing you - so I followed that practice.
I just took mine apart, and they were fitted exactly as shown in the tutorial....

https://www.adrenalin-pedstop.co.uk/img ... ls/8/2.jpg

I actually had them prepped and ready to install in alternating directions, but luckily saw this thread before tearing the bike today.

Thanks for the heads up!!