How Cold Will You Go?

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2016
Color: silver

Re: How Cold Will You Go?

Post by big bear »

yesterday it was 35 degrees and windy if it wasent for the wind i would of rode but i was worried there might be black ice in a shady spot
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

black ice in a shady spot
Smart move!

I totally concur . . . better to be discreet than flat down on the street. :geek:
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2016
Color: silver

Post by big bear »

today was nice 50 degrees took the x max for a 29 mile ride and the pcx for a 6 mile ride took some pics ill post them as soon as i download them to the computer
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: `12,`15,`19
Color: black&black

Post by Oyabun »

If it doesn't snowing or the roads are not iced up, I ride until about 10F or - 12C. With a medium Givi screen, grip heating, and Tucano urbano, I don't even have to install the heat insulation layer into my jacket down until like 0C or 30-ish F.
Somebody had wrote that the Tucano for the 19 models is better constructed than earlier years. I can confirm that it is true, my '19 bike is much better in the cold than the earlier were. (I had a' 13 ESP and a 15 LED PCX previously).
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

It is 4.8C and that is close enough to my 5C limit.

I get my temperature from a fancy weather station on a pole above my mobile home.

It is connected to WeatherUnderground on the internet.

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IHOPE9

Anyone with internet service can look at it anywhere in the world.

My 2000 Dodge Dakota has a hole in the radiator. I am waiting for a new one from Delta, BC. It has been sitting in a Fedex Ground warehouse since the 24th, today is the 29th. Delta is only 150 km (93 miles) away. Fedex has refused to ship the rad and has put it in the mail. Bastards.

It is sunny and the ice has melted. Time to get groceries on the Forza.

I walked to Subway for breakfast. I might go to Harrison Hot Springs after groceries for lunch.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I walked to Subway in the wind chill and had breakfast. By the time I got home it was warm enough to ride to get groceries and early enough to go to the beach.

I had a police officer wave at me today but probably because I was actually in a 30 mph zone. Oops.

I rode mine today and had 123,755 km at today's fill up. 5C riding temperature and not much snow on the ground.

I went to the beach, Harrison Hot Springs, lots of sulfur, 9 or more fair size earthquakes this week. I gave the volcanoes the finger! (Mt Baker & Mt Garibaldi, Mt Meager)

I washed the bike at a car wash when I got back to Hope.
halluinoid
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018
Color: blue

Post by halluinoid »

salsa how is your husband getting on? that was bad!

that reminds me of when I went over on an icy day last year

I was driving along on my Virago last winter when I saw that the road ahead had a puddle of water right across the road , going on the principle, drive straight through and you'll be good, I did that

but there must have been black ice below the water and I came off the bike which ended up 180º around and me a few meters away on the kerb, OUCH, I landed on my knee, the trousers had a hole right through the knee but the cup sewn in the trousers saved me
2018 Honda Forza 300cc
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I had the Forza 300 sideways coming into my driveway yesterday. The owner of my place had dropped mud on the road during his snow plow efforts.

I got up and it was sunny. I had breakfast and put on my 6 layers of clothing. And then it started raining hard.

I sat at my computer for a while till it slowed down. It was Valentines Day so I headed to Yale for a breaded cheese pepperoni stick and coffee with a Tums chaser.

The TransCanada Highway was busy because a 18 wheeler had flipped over at about 5000 ft on the Coquihalla. It had mostly stopped raining so I decided to go one hour north and then turn around to get home before dark.

I was almost at Lytton on the Jackass when I decided to go overtime to get chocolate milk. Big mistake.

The traffic was lighter returning because they had got one lane open on the other highway. It was getting colder so I stopped for gas and coffee at Boston Bar. Another mistake.

It was getting dark so I rode right past the toilets at Yale. Another mistake.

I got back home after my little sideways bump and put the Honda Forza 300 away wet & dirty.

I had Kraft Dinner & Sausage for my Valentines dinner by myself. Just too many mistakes.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

davenowherejones wrote:I had the Forza 300 sideways coming into my driveway yesterday. The owner of my place had dropped mud on the road during his snow plow efforts.

I got up and it was sunny. I had breakfast and put on my 6 layers of clothing. And then it started raining hard.

I sat at my computer for a while till it slowed down. It was Valentines Day so I headed to Yale for a breaded cheese pepperoni stick and coffee with a Tums chaser.

The TransCanada Highway was busy because a 18 wheeler had flipped over at about 5000 ft on the Coquihalla. It had mostly stopped raining so I decided to go one hour north and then turn around to get home before dark.

I was almost at Lytton on the Jackass when I decided to go overtime to get chocolate milk. Big mistake.

The traffic was lighter returning because they had got one lane open on the other highway. It was getting colder so I stopped for gas and coffee at Boston Bar. Another mistake.

It was getting dark so I rode right past the toilets at Yale. Another mistake.

I got back home after my little sideways bump and put the Honda Forza 300 away wet & dirty.

I had Kraft Dinner & Sausage for my Valentines dinner by myself. Just too many mistakes.
What is a Kraft dinner?
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Very cheap macaroni and imitation cheese.
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Sounds like a journey . . .. o_O

I hate those surprise sliders. Watch out for painted surfaces too especially when it's wet.

Try Marie Callender's frozen dinners some time (if they sell them up in your neck of the woods). :D

Not bad. Like any other frozen dinner they do have sodium. :roll:

I usually wait for them to go on sale 4 for $10 at my local grocer.

No need to make a meal a ritual when you can have one of these ready to launch down the hatch in 5 minutes or so. Microwave ovens are great for those times when you're in a hurry. 8)

https://www.mariecallendersmeals.com/frozen-dinners
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Old Grinner wrote:Sounds like a journey . . .. o_O

I hate those surprise sliders. Watch out for painted surfaces too especially when it's wet.

Try Marie Callender's frozen dinners some time (if they sell them up in your neck of the woods). :D

Not bad. Like any other frozen dinner they do have sodium. :roll:

I usually wait for them to go on sale 4 for $10 at my local grocer.

No need to make a meal a ritual when you can have one of these ready to launch down the hatch in 5 minutes or so. Microwave ovens are great for those times when you're in a hurry. 8)

https://www.mariecallendersmeals.com/frozen-dinners

Mmmm. Highly rated I see :lol:
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Praise Marie she does the cooking, so do others. Here's another, with a bigger menu: https://www.stouffers.com/en

When it's C O L D outside who needs a freezer? :D an Airtight bin outdoors will do.
Back in my mini-me days milk, cream, juice, even eggs were delivered and placed inside a galvanized (insulated?) box left at our back door. It Looked like this:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (62.99 KiB) Viewed 1671 times
davenowherejones please be kinder to yourself. Think more about the positions you put yourself into. Many of your adventures seem awfully dangerous to me. You tell us. Such as your recent post. Makes me quiver and I ain't cold! I can't wait for warmer weather, more so for You than I.

More on Food: Best store-bought "refrigerated" Mac and Cheese (and their other refrigerated products taste very close-to-home cooked too) :P
https://www.bobevansgrocery.com/our-products/

My tastebuds speak from experience and I have bought most of the above choices. I cook only now and then. Baby Boomers are getting older, fast foods draw us in.
Although...I Rarely stop for Burger King, McDonald's, Taco Bell, Wendy's, Subway, Arby's, Checkers etc.
That stuff can get addictive. Bad for my health and it's Not cheap! Gotta have those coupons! Ok done.
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
E. Foster Salsbury
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 NSS300A

Post by E. Foster Salsbury »

davenowherejones wrote:I had the Forza 300 sideways coming into my driveway yesterday. .
Brand new barely scrubbed in K66 or worn past the wear bars old K66?
Salsbury
2015 Forza 300ABS-2km 10/17/2015
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

E. Foster Salsbury wrote:
davenowherejones wrote:I had the Forza 300 sideways coming into my driveway yesterday. .
Brand new barely scrubbed in K66 or worn past the wear bars old K66?
Old, old, old K66.

I should be getting a new one on Tuesday or Wednesday depending on the Post Office and protesters.
E. Foster Salsbury
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 NSS300A

Post by E. Foster Salsbury »

Did you get 16k km out of it?
Salsbury
2015 Forza 300ABS-2km 10/17/2015
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

E. Foster Salsbury wrote:Did you get 16k km out of it?
No.

My front K66 has 25,000 km.

My first rear K66 I put 5500 km on it before I put my second K66 rear on to go to the Yukon and back (6600 km) At 13,000 km (2nd rear) I took off the second rear and put the first rear back on until 12,000 km now.

My Michelin City Grips were replaced at 12,000, 15,000 km, 16,000 km, 15,500 km and 15,000 km. The 12,000 km was replaced early because of a staple in the tire.

The Michelin's have lasted longer than the K66 but the K66 is semi-dirt knobby tire so it was expected to not last as long. The K66 is a bit better on gravel but not substantially better than the City Grip. Both are good in the rain.

Let us not forget that both tires were on a low powered scooter which can hardly spin the tires on gravel.
It is not a 100 hp sport bike. It was ridden by a little old man (5 foot 6, 200 pounds, 60 years old).
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I saw those Marie Callender's dinners at Walmart today, $4 each. $2.50 USA is $3.30 in Canadian dollars.

They looked interesting but frozen food does not travel well from Chilliwack to Hope, 50 km.

Actually today might have worked as it was only 5Celsius but I would have to eat it right away.

I have an insulated bag but it would still be risky. The RCMP close the highway sometimes. And every where I go the RCMP are there to give me a friendly welcome. I must slow down, I must slow down, I must slow down, repeat after me.
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

I saw those Marie Callender's dinners at Walmart today, $4 each. $2.50 USA is $3.30 in Canadian dollars.

They looked interesting but frozen food does not travel well from Chilliwack to Hope, 50 km.
I don't blame you. Besides, they are OK in a pinch or once in a while but not as a steady diet. No sense risking food illness due to spoilage.

Good luck on your travels! 8)
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I took off the old K66's and put new ones on today. It started getting cold and I was tired so I will fix the rear brakes tomorrow. Too old and tired to get the rear wheel on. Tomorrow. Front is on.

It is supposed to be cold in the morning and I will wait until noon for it to warm up. I bought a lottery ticket because I want a warm garage to work in.

I want a one bedroom house with a six car garage.