Oil and what Honda said regarding Forza 125

General Honda Forza 125 chat, questions about the Forza 125, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Oil and what Honda said regarding Forza 125

Post by iceman »

This was posted to the Forza FB group, but interesting to see Honda's 'official' reply regarding 10W40 oil used during a service and why they believe fully synth is not to be used :) (always thought it was over-kill and not heard anyone damage a scooter or motorbike by using normal semi synth).
Attachments
oil.jpg
oil.jpg (127.98 KiB) Viewed 1494 times
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Re: Oil and what Honda said regarding Forza 125

Post by easyrider »

Thats not entirely accurate. Synthetic oils will always outperform any dino oils . I have no idea what he is referring to as other parts will perform better with semi synthetic oils . I would like to have the names of those parts.. This is not the case in your simple Honda scooter motor I am sure. I read several times that he referenced motorcycle engines and perhaps he is therefore thinking of a wet clutch scenario in which case he would be right as synthetic oil may be too slippery and should be avoided.I think he is wrong when it comes to your Honda scooter engine W/O a wet clutch.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

I agree, I will always use synthetic. It’s just a cleaner situation.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

That's why I put 'offiicail' in apostrophies, but I still believe semi-synth does no real harm as many use it for scooters and they seem to last and last. However, does anyone have any evidence from Honda (owners manual, service manual or such) stating to use fully synth for the Honda scooter range, or just peoples beliefs it makes that much difference?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

easyrider wrote:Thats not entirely accurate. Synthetic oils will always outperform any dino oils . I have no idea what he is referring to as other parts will perform better with semi synthetic oils . I would like to have the names of those parts.. This is not the case in your simple Honda scooter motor I am sure. I read several times that he referenced motorcycle engines and perhaps he is therefore thinking of a wet clutch scenario in which case he would be right as synthetic oil may be too slippery and should be avoided.I think he is wrong when it comes to your Honda scooter engine W/O a wet clutch.

What do you think synthetic means and why do you think it is superior oil?

Why use the word Dino? Is it to be derogatory? You do know oil isn’t made from dinosaurs?

Help us to move on.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

I think it’s perfectly fine to use Dino oil, semi synthetic or synthetic. Any one of them will do the job if you adhere to regular oil change intervals. But when they are all essentially the same price at Walmart for a quart and a half that I use, I will always go toward the synthetic. The same way that I think you would be fine with the gas station at the corner versus top tier gas. There’s no reason not to get the highest possible quality when we’re talking the difference is pennies on the dollar.

Dino is simply a term that they use for oil that comes out of the ground created by natural sources.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Jge64 wrote:I think it’s perfectly fine to use Dino oil, semi synthetic or synthetic. Any one of them will do the job if you adhere to regular oil change intervals. But when they are all essentially the same price at Walmart for a quart and a half that I use, I will always go toward the synthetic. The same way that I think you would be fine with the gas station at the corner versus top tier gas. There’s no reason not to get the highest possible quality when we’re talking the difference is pennies on the dollar.

Dino is simply a term that they use for oil that comes out of the ground created by natural sources.

All mineral oil synthetic or otherwise comes out of the ground.

All “synthetic” oil is crude oil based. Dino if you are unable to describe it in another way.

Crude oil is refined and distilled and then additives are added. Bingo, it’s “synthetic”

Some of those additives aren’t great when they aren’t required such as esters.

So a blanket statement that “synthetics good (grunt grunt) Dino oil bad” is a teeny bit simplistic.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

Is it a big deal.Its just a reference term used
widely to describe non synthetic oil.Geez?
zroger73
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: Bronze

Post by zroger73 »

I'll personally continue to use exactly what the Owner's Manual says to use just like I have successfully done with every vehicle I've owned over the last few decades.

I don't for one second believe that's an actual reply from Honda. Instead, I believe it's a fake generated by some keyboard warrior who believe that they are a better engineer than the ones at Honda.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

zroger73 wrote:I'll personally continue to use exactly what the Owner's Manual says to use just like I have successfully done with every vehicle I've owned over the last few decades.
I don't for one second believe that's an actual reply from Honda. Instead, I believe it's a fake generated by some keyboard warrior who believe that they are a better engineer than the ones at Honda.
This was a 'p*****d' off owner who complained following what the dealer had done and in this case the oil used - they wondered why dealers are not following Honda's own stipulations, so I do not believe it was fake - it's a closed small group and not open to passing trolls.
Anyway, any good quality motorbike oil for your countries temperature range is fine.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

iceman wrote:
zroger73 wrote:I'll personally continue to use exactly what the Owner's Manual says to use just like I have successfully done with every vehicle I've owned over the last few decades.
This was a 'p*****d' off owner who complained following what the dealer had done and in this case the oil used - they wondered why dealers are not following Honda's own stipulations, so I do not believe it was fake - it's a closed small group and not open to passing trolls.
Anyway, any good quality motorbike oil for your countries temperature range is fine.

^ yes this.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

easyrider wrote:Is it a big deal.Its just a reference term used

Is a Geez the term for using locally based reference terms that are stupid?
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

Usually references frustration with not understanding trending and current idioms or accepted terms .
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

A full synthetic oil, as the name states, is "synthesized". By that, they mean it is made in a lab, it is a manufactured product. Organic (Dino) oil is a product of nature. So the big difference is the environment in which the oil is made in.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

you you wrote:
easyrider wrote:Is it a big deal.Its just a reference term used

Is a Geez the term for using locally based reference terms that are stupid?
Where I live it means "give me" but is usually spelled gie's
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Man asked a straightforward question - received a detailed reply....and yet some still see stupidity at least , and a conspiracy at worst - from HONDA, UK.

...forums....

I once emailed Piaggio,USA in Manhattan, NYC, to ask for clarification on valve settings on my new E4 scooter. In 3 days I rec'd a clear reply from a company technician's desk.....which agreed with the specifications sticker under the seat!
Still a % of old Piaggio forum members declared those figures to be suspect, or wrong.

...forums...
Fish
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Go to motorcycle/scooter dealer or motor accessories shop.
Ask for motorcycle oil to the viscosity listed in owner manual.
Buy the cheapest they have in stock.
Use the oil you just bought.
Its really that simple.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

By making synthetic oil from natural gas it has less contaminants to begin with and the molecular shape of the lubricating properties is smoother. Think of it as comparing a ball to a ball that's been knocked around and has flat spots on it.

That said mineral oil will do the job in most cases as long as you buy what the owner's manual spec calls for. Usually they say for API ratings SG, or SJ, or SN. For JASCO ratings it could be MA or MB. Change it when needed due to riding conditions/environment or to the prescribed maintenance schedule and your machine will run long time. :D

Do check the oil level regularly and top off as/if needed . . .. ;)
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

gn2 wrote:Go to motorcycle/scooter dealer or motor accessories shop.
Its really that simple.
Check that ! Go to your local big box retailer and buy your oil (per specific grade) and save significant $. Dealerships are stealerships when it comes to your money.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

easyrider wrote:
gn2 wrote:Go to motorcycle/scooter dealer or motor accessories shop.
Its really that simple.
Check that ! Go to your local big box retailer and buy your oil (per specific grade) and save significant $. Dealerships are stealerships when it comes to your money.
Dealers are no more dishonest than the average Joe.
Good luck buying a Honda through the mail.
Fish