Intermittent valve tappet noise 2016 Forza. 3500 mi.

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

glencoeman
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Intermittent valve tappet noise 2016 Forza. 3500 mi.

Post by glencoeman »

Sounds like a sticking cam chain tensioner.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

BruttoBestia wrote:Springer 1.....The tapping noise is present on one start up but not on the next. When it does tap, it follows the rpm from idle to higher rpm. I know of no variable valve timing with this engine. Thanks for the help.

Easyrider & GN2.......I use 10W30 Redline Motorcycle oil and I measure the oil w a measuring cup and tend to put maybe 10 ml under the recommended levels. Redline is supposed to have one of the highest levels of molybdenum(sp). I guess it would be a cheap troubleshooting technique to try a 10W40 upgrade and see what happens. Thanks to you both for your input and advice.
No idea about the noise, I am hearing impaired. Really expensive oil. Try a cheaper one. And check the dip stick on the centre stand. The measuring and the dip stick never seem to agree in my experience.

I suspect you have too much oil. I have over 120,000 km on my 2014 Forza 300 using whatever oil is cheapest. Regular, synthetic, semi-synthetic, 10W30, 5W30, 10W40, I don't think it matters..

I use mostly Regular Canadian gas with ethanol. I tried Super Premium without ethanol and it made no difference. But I am hearing impaired so if it made noises I would't know.

I had a really bad clutch bearing while in the Yukon and a guy asked if I was riding a diesel because of the noise. That was funny.
BruttoBestia
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2016
Color: Red

Post by BruttoBestia »

Thanks Springer 1. I've got an appointment at a local shop and we're going to replace the cam chain tensioner and check/adjust all valve lash. If that doesn't fix it I'm just going to ride it till it drops. I just hate to operate anything that isn't right. I'm going to remove the tray under the seat to save some time for the mechanic. Do you (or anyone viewing) know if the side covers have to be removed to access the bolts for the tray?
BruttoBestia
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by BruttoBestia »

Thank You Glencoeman. That makes the most sense to me. That the cam chain tensioner isn't locking in place and allowing too much slack. We'll see.
BruttoBestia
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by BruttoBestia »

Adjusted valve lash to book spec (only .001 off on exhaust), replaced cam chain tensioner, replaced exhaust header gasket..........still intermittent ticking noise. Although mine is a 2016 and not in the group that had fuel pump issues, I'm wondering what that symptom sounded like when it started to fail. If anyone had there's replaced, I'd love to hear if it made any noises or if it just stopped working. Thanks in advance.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Can you tape record the tapping and post it. You can try as an experiment to use a straight 30 weight oil , but if its mechanical and coming from the valve train lifters its a lubrication issue , possibly sticking valves or a failing oil pump. Do a solid engine oil flush with Marvel mystery oil,or diesel oil with motor oil 20% diesel fuel added to 30 wt motor oil. Run only a few minutes at idle or use any commercial available oil flush ..drain all the cleaning agent, then refill with a heavier weight oil and a new oil filter just for testing and look for any differences. If all is well then replace oil with correct viscosity.If all this fails to correct replace the head and valves, followed next by oil pump. I am assuming you already checked the oil psi. Otherwise just get a good set of ear plugs run it till it dies.
glencoeman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by glencoeman »

BruttoBestia wrote:Adjusted valve lash to book spec (only .001 off on exhaust), replaced cam chain tensioner, replaced exhaust header gasket..........still intermittent ticking noise. Although mine is a 2016 and not in the group that had fuel pump issues, I'm wondering what that symptom sounded like when it started to fail. If anyone had there's replaced, I'd love to hear if it made any noises or if it just stopped working. Thanks in advance.
There were no symptoms on fuel pump failures apart from the engine cutting out due to lack of fuel - it was not a problem that would create a ticking noise. I had no problems with my 2014 model but I still had both fuel pump recalls done.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Do you hear the noise only when it is idling? Is it there at high rpm?

Could it be bodywork vibrating? My bodywork makes lots of noise all the time.

Your engine is barely broken in at 3500 miles.
BruttoBestia
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by BruttoBestia »

Thank You easyrider, glencoeman and davenowherejones for the feedback. I used about 10% Sea Foam w the oil thinking it could be a plugged oil galley but it made no difference. I'm now running 10w-40 (temps here rarely get below 45) and it still does the intermittent ticking noise. It never does this when the engine is cold.....always after it warms up and even then intermittently. It also changes rpm w the engine although at a much reduced frequency as the engine rpm. I'll try and create an audio file and post here. This is my daily driver and I'm now over 5,000 mi. Except for this damn noise, it's a great little scooter.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Wear earplugs.
BruttoBestia
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by BruttoBestia »

FINALLY!!........Because my fuel mileage went down suddenly about 10 mpg, I changed the Cat/Muffler and mileage back up and Intermittent Valve Tappet noise is GONE. I did not not take the time to dismantle the old one but I think as the cat/muffler heated up, one or more of the baffles inside was generating a noise with each power pulse of the engine. Hope no one else has this issue. Cat/Muffler cost $450 (incl delivery to residence).
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

BruttoBestia wrote:FINALLY!!........Because my fuel mileage went down suddenly about 10 mpg, I changed the Cat/Muffler and mileage back up and Intermittent Valve Tappet noise is GONE. I did not not take the time to dismantle the old one but I think as the cat/muffler heated up, one or more of the baffles inside was generating a noise with each power pulse of the engine. Hope no one else has this issue. Cat/Muffler cost $450 (incl delivery to residence).
I had that happen in a Cessna 172 one day.

We were over a Maximum Security prison when we lost most of the power. We had to do a 180 and call the tower that we we were coming in NOW, DIRECT. We told them about the power, they asked if we wanted the fire truck. NO, too much paperwork.

It turns out a baffle had broken.
BruttoBestia
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by BruttoBestia »

davenowherejones.......Glad you made it back to airport OK. I didn't have that factor to worry about with my issue but it was aggravating for sure.
mymitzi
Regular User
Regular User
Color: black

Post by mymitzi »

Might be worth a look..... into being reimbursed. Warranties on "environmental" equipment are generally longer.
https://www.catalyticconverter.org/law/index.htm
BruttoBestia
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by BruttoBestia »

mymitzi.......Thank You for the tip. I'll be sure to check that out.
mymitzi
Regular User
Regular User
Color: black

Post by mymitzi »

Hope it works.