Alternative to Stock PCX Turn Signal/Horn Switch?

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Alternative to Stock PCX Turn Signal/Horn Switch?

Post by Old Grinner »

I wonder if something like this would work on a PCX . . ..

Or, any of the regular handlebar type bikes that Honda has been making lately. A lot of riders have issues, as do I, with the new horn button location. Why Honda chose to go against the tide and put the horn button where the turn signal switch usually is baffles me.

A switch mount like this would return the horn and turn signal switch to the more familiar/traditional location and still include the hi/lo beam switch for the headlight.

https://www.amazon.com/SHENTIANWEI-Univ ... ATK2A3MW7S

Just not sure it the wiring would match up.

Perhaps having a degree in electronics would be helpful. :lol:
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: Alternative to Stock PCX Turn Signal/Horn Switch?

Post by Mel46 »

Nice find! I put it on my amazon list so that I can study it later. You know, most of the connections to that main switch are single wire type so that you can pull on/off each wire, one at a time, and plug it into the new one. If that switch set will work on the PCX it will solve a lot of complaints. Heck, when I was riding recently I needed to press the horn button in a hurry. Forget it. By the time I looked down and found it, the situation was over...and I had survived, though it would have been easier if I could have gotten that driver's attention and cooperation.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Old Grinner wrote:Why Honda chose to go against the tide and put the horn button where the turn signal switch usually is baffles me.
The way I see it, indicators get used far more often than the horn so it makes sense to put the indicator switch in an easier to reach position.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

The way I see it, indicators get used far more often than the horn so it makes sense to put the indicator switch in an easier to reach position.
An interesting article . . .. See link below. :geek:

It does make sense that the turn signal switch would get used more frequently than a horn and it would appear to be more convenient to locate it down lower but one most often has time to think about and plan using the turn signal in lieu of being rushed.

However, in an emergency, it's about efficiency rather than convenience. The horn button is usually first in line for the thumb . . .. You want to send the message loud and clear as quickly as possible with no time wasted. So having the horn button in the lower position is an advantage and more familiar to most riders. It was placed there on many marques a long time ago for a reason.

Another voice in the wilderness https://www.motorcyclepowersportsnews.c ... isastrous/
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

In a real emergency you won't have time to use the horn.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

In a real emergency you won't have time to use the horn.
True . . . and there are a variety of scenarios that are just unavoidable . . . like getting hit from behind, someone running a stop sign or traffic light while you are in progress, an animal running into your path, a wrong way driver on a major highway, encountering a vehicle with a stuck throttle cable or brake failure, and more.

A horn is useful if it's heard by the intended recipient and that recipient is lucid and able to compensate accordingly "in time" to avoid contact. Being under the influence, listening to music really loud, or having hearing problems (for whatever reason), will make the use of a horn a "roll of the dice". Maybe they'll hear it and maybe they won't. Maybe they are capable of reacting . . . maybe not.

Competition for space on roadways is on the rise world wide and may the "Force" be with us all . . .. :D

Oh . . . almost forgot . . . there are other less harmful uses for the horn too not necessarily requiring panic . . .. :lol:

luciddream2
Color: RED

Post by luciddream2 »

I'm personally really happy with the location of the horn and turn signals on my PCX. I've always had trouble finding the turn signals on my other scooter. I kept inadvertently hitting the horn. As soon as I took my first ride on the PCX, it felt like, "finally the turn signal switch is in the correct place".
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I have found the horn easily since I the first started riding, back in the '60s. Between my Harley and in later years my Hondas, the horn button was always in the same place.

When I purchased my Burgman 400, once again, the horn button was in its proper place.

Then I traded for my PCX, and the button is reversed with the turn signal! Why, Honda, why?!

I need to use that horn button much more often around here than I ever have had to, but it's not there!
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers