Hurricane DORIAN - Labor Day?

Anything and everything not related to anything else on this site.

Moderator: Modsquad

Limey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 16 Forza/16 PCX
Color: Red/Maroon

Re: Hurricane DORIAN - Labor Day?

Post by Limey »

you you wrote: Can someone help me decipher this post?

Just the point would be fine.
Hurricanes are evil and you'd better be prepared. Do what you have to do in order to survive.
I used to take them lightly until I experienced Michael first hand - never again.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

We were in communication with a lady who was riding out Michael in her mobile home. She said that she wasn't afraid because it was tied down with some heavy cables.

First, who in their right mind rides out a hurricane in a MOBILE HOME!!??
Second, tied down or not, have you ever seen mobile home parks after a hurricane has come through? Did they look like they rode out the hurricane without any problems??

Well, back to the friend. When Michael hit she was on the phone with us. She told us that the mobile home was twisting, and the doors were bulging. She stacked stuff in front of the doors and braced them. Rain was coming through the cracks in the seams of the walls. Then her phone went dead.

She lived, and her mobile home remained tied down, but the insurance company wanted to write it off. It was leaking everywhere. She kept it and decided to fix the damage. She and her husband are still working on it...and her father, who lives in a brick home one block from her mobile home. She SHOULD HAVE gone to her father's house before Michael hit. Some people just don't learn anything.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

I forgot I had this icon on my desktop. Take a look: http://www.VentuSky.com
Then Push some of those buttons. Wow!!

Weather has been breezy but nice the past two days. Today on LI that's changed. Sun is gone. Eerie clouds as far as I can see - shades of gray - light to very dark, some layered, some solid areas - then they change again :geek: Creepy

They predicted thunderstorms late this afternoon. I think that'll happen sooner.
Wide range effects of Dorian

How's by You?
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Limey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 16 Forza/16 PCX
Color: Red/Maroon

Post by Limey »

Great link WN. Better than the Accuweather one I have.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

we now have the 1st update that has the track turning northwest...ft laud and miami safe for now, hoping it stays offshore all the way up the peninsula....
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

That is a great little app. It is set up in some kind of matrix that reminds me of the days of Loran, when everyone used that to navigate prior to the advent of GPS.

I am trying to figure out that other front that is being fed in the Gulf, causing Mexico to be dumped on. Something is feeding both of those storms. Low front with lots of warm air?
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

This is off of the subject but this hurricane reminded me of days of old, when I was in the Coast Guard. I found a picture of one of the helicopters I flew in for years. We saved a lot of lives thanks to these beautiful birds. Here is the picture, fyi. Ho hum. Many good memories. That is about all that we can expect when we get old.
Attachments
HH3F 1484 CGAS SanFran
HH3F 1484 CGAS SanFran
image.jpeg (169.01 KiB) Viewed 619 times
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Nice pic Mel.

I've seen those CG Copters more than once . . .. The rescue boats have come a long way from the "good 'ol" days . . . or should I say "Finest Hours".

They never can be thanked enough for their service.

Fingers crossed for the Florida folks and forum members living there.

Last I heard Dorian was still doing 1 MPH heading NNW. Will know more tomorrow evening what the deal is.

Depending upon how it tracks we could even get some effects from it up here in CT next weekend.

Speaking of a bad storm . . ..

The following picture is of the Coast Guard Motor Lifeboat CG36500 sent to save the crew of the "Pendleton" years ago.
image.jpeg

The original propeller.
image.jpeg

Trailer from the movie "The Finest Hours" . . . a true story.

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

You have to conquer your fears to be in the Coast Guard. You are always training for the day like that one. It is an extremely dangerous job, but somebody has to do it, so only the best are chosen, and you are expected to give your best. Your training gets you through the dangerous rescues.

Yes, there are a lot of mundane things to be done, including maintenance and training, but when the time comes to go out, you are ready...and that time does come for almost every unit, (though there really are a few members who go through their entire time in service and never see action).
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

NADman
Regular User
Regular User
Color: black

Post by NADman »

Thanks for that link WN!
He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. -Winston S. Churchill.
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Thanks for that link WN!
X2!

I tried some of the other features on that page as well. Bookmarked it for future use . . .. :geek:

Sorry to hear about the tornado on Long Island from yesterday's storm. Saw the report on TV. o_O
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

So it looks to me like Dorian is not going to make landfall in Florida, and it is weakening. That is good. The bad is that the coast is getting a lot of wind, rain, and storm surge. This will be the case all the way up the East Coast.

An interesting point where it will brush land is in North Carolina. The Coast Guard has a major aircraft overhaul base in Elizabeth City, North Carolina. That is right in the path of the storm. Well, they have been through a few of these, so I am guessing that they will be OK.

Here in Atlanta we won't even see any rain from this storm.
How is it looking for the rest of you that live in areas that might be affected by this storm?
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Link Lookers! (Not "lint" sillies :lol: ) You're welcome! In all that clutter on my desktop, I'm glad I came upon it. Gotta Share those goodies! 8)

> Mel, what a responsible young man you were (and probably still are)! I can't recall ever thanking you for All You've done to Save (and help Save) mankind. Do you have grandchildren? I ask because You have stories to tell. No, no, Not @ bedtime. Yours are Far better than those read in books. Up front and personal, that's what you'd be telling them. :geek: I know my jaw would be hanging. Thank God you lived it and are here to tell. Amen to that.
I think I can, I think I can
speak for many of us,...
~ We're proud to have You onboard Sir ~ We Tip Our Hats To "You" :P

> OldG, how about that! A tornado or two or.....
Small, but twisting on Long Island! It Was scary for those involved and made a mess, but they're ok. They have stories to tell now too. Up front and personal (wipes brow).
About that movie clip you shared, "The Finest Hours" - one of the best movies. Watch it folks, it gets intense (my cuticles took a beating! :lol: )

Back to Hurricane Dorian. Was a Cat 5 now a 2. No landfall on Florida. Yeh fellow Floridians!! I'm so thankful for that! Before reaching you Dorian took a turn offshore and headed North. Phew! He's continuing his spin Northward climbing outside our eastern coastline. It looks like South and North Carolina will take the brunt of him before He turns his last turn to Sea. Move It Big Boy!!

Check that VentuSky website folks. You can Tap or slide a button to advance in time. No, this is not Back to the Future! Shakes head. Carolina's know what there in for. Been there, done "this" so many times :cry:

The Grand Bahama Island less than 70 miles long now devastated. The eyewall of Dorian bombarded them for 40 hours. 15 of those 40 @ Cat 5 level. OMG! and, the slowest moving Cat 5 storm on record in the North Atlantic Basin. Moving (?) :roll: crawling along at 1.3 mph. Less than a walking pace people! And, there were times it was totally stationary!! WT_Heck! o_O

9/3/19 - from The Washington Post:
"The Great Abaco Island, a slender north-south oriented island to the east of Grand Bahama, first took the brunt of Dorian's Cat 5 impact last Sunday. At only 10 miles wide where Dorian crossed, the storm rode northwest parallel to the island. That meant the eyewall was in contact with Great Abaco for a whopping 8 hours 22 mins based on conservative radar estimates. At that time, the National Hurricane Center issued warnings of the potential for 220 mph wind gusts and an 18-23 foot ongoing storm surge."
Okay, that's enough. You get that picture. Pure Devastation.

Today's Washington Post article: https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/ ... edirect=on

Back here in the U.S.of A -
"Every twirl you make, every turn you take, We'll be watching You!" :x
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I heard a comment recently that asked why we were helping the Bahamas, since they are a British territory. The commenter also mentioned that Puerto Rico is still struggling after their encounter with a hurricane. Shouldn't we be doing more for them?

I have no answers to any of that. Hopefully this does not have anything to do with politics. I have not kept up with the news on ANY of the post- hurricane cities, but I would think that it will just take time for all of them.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

The Bahamas has been a fully independent country since 1973, its every bit as much a British territory as the USA is.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Hoping the best for all those adversely effected . . .. :geek:
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Dorian is bad company. He's a dwindler. Doesn't know He's unwanted. Worse yet, Doesn't know He wasn't invited. He's rude. No manners. Blows Hot air and Spits everywhere. He's overpowering. He's a bully :x Open the Door and Kick His Fat Ass Out!
Sorry, I just had a moment :x

How's by you?

Here's by me:
Today: 65 degrees, cloudy skies, showers expected. High temp 68 and low of 59 (tonight).
11am: It's windy, not bad. No rain...yet.
Leaves keep falling getting snagged in my lawn. I've used the blower 3X already. Get the picture? What's the point? :roll:
Let it Be, Let it Be.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

WN, I just heard that Dorian is going to be paying you a visit. Be prepared.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

Dorian is done hurting people, Nova Scotia might see a weak cat 1, but that’s about it:
Attachments
DD9C6B63-40E6-442C-AAB1-4B244175D547.jpeg
DD9C6B63-40E6-442C-AAB1-4B244175D547.jpeg (70.97 KiB) Viewed 561 times
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Just took a few loops around the waterfront on the Zuma and over towards Long Island it's a really weird looking sky. Different shades of grey and some individual cloud masses as well as a general background of doom. Early afternoon now.

The wind is up but not bad. Just got tossed around a little bit. The white caps are starting to appear. Rain is at the CT coast door step.

I wish I brought my camera . . ..

Already have seen some small fallen debris from trees on the road but nothing terrible . . . nothing that can't be tossed in a junk can.

WN - good point about the leaves!

The "still green" early leaves of Autumn are being coaxed off the branches and soon the lawns will indeed have a fresh new layer. Mulching plates on lawnmowers will make quick work of it though.

What's left of "Dorian" up here will be more "entertainment" than material for the evening news "infotainment" I think. And only hours ago it still continued to raise hell in the Carolinas.

The hurricane season is not yet over. Still a good idea to keep the canned food, bottled water, and sundry other survival items on hand. :geek: