Does your parking brake work? Mine doesn't.

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Inoplanetyanin
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018
Color: WHITE

Does your parking brake work? Mine doesn't.

Post by Inoplanetyanin »

I have a 2018 PCX and ever since I bought it, the parking brake never held the bike in place like other scooters' brakes do.

It's not about the drum's adjustment as I can adjust it until the shoes are dragging and barely let the wheel spin and STILL, the parking brake is useless and doesn't apply enough pressure to keep the scooter from rolling backwards even on little inclines.

How does yours perform? Especially would like to hear from 2015+ owners.
Attachments
20190718_123553.jpg
20190718_123553.jpg (334.22 KiB) Viewed 1215 times
20190718_123547.jpg
20190718_123547.jpg (380.43 KiB) Viewed 1215 times
HondaC110
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: Bronze

Re: Does your parking brake work? Mine doesn't.

Post by HondaC110 »

Pretty much the same with my 2019. I ignore the silly thing and simply park carefully. The hills in San Francisco make this a must do anyway...
Inoplanetyanin
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Inoplanetyanin »

Hmmm, that's strange.
My 2010 Elite and 2009 Metropolitan both had really useful parking brakes that held the bike firmly in place on any kind of hill.
I wonder if the issues with PCX is design or a matter of adjustment.
Hard to accept that it was designed to be useless.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

On the second picture (left side), see the movable "arm" with the bolt in it below the brake drum area? The nut on the bolt is used to adjust the parking brake. If you can't get it to work correctly, the service department should be able to do it in 5 minutes. That is the first thing I learned about these scooters. It is no different from the emergency brake on cars. In the distant past cars came with drum brakes. Setting the brake meant manually locking the disc pads closed against the drum. That is what that parking brake on the scooter does.

Pull the brake handle out until it locks in place. Now adjust that nut until the back wheel will no longer spin. Then release the hand brake and make sure the rear wheel spins freely.. simple enough. Like I said, if you can't get it to work, ask the service department. They can do it. For the new bikes, if it wasn't set up correctly when you bought it, that is on them. That was part of the Setup fee you paid.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Inoplanetyanin
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Inoplanetyanin »

Thanks Mel,
apparently mine was not adjusted enough to hold the wheel.
I turned the adjuster while the parking brake applied and it solved the issue entirely.

Thanks for the tip!
luciddream2
Color: RED

Post by luciddream2 »

Thank you Mel46! I just purchased a used 2015 model and the parking brake doesn't work. I'm going to try adjusting it tonight after work. I came here to find out how and as always this forum doesn't disappoint!

Mel46 wrote:On the second picture (left side), see the movable "arm" with the bolt in it below the brake drum area? The nut on the bolt is used to adjust the parking brake. If you can't get it to work correctly, the service department should be able to do it in 5 minutes. That is the first thing I learned about these scooters. It is no different from the emergency brake on cars. In the distant past cars came with drum brakes. Setting the brake meant manually locking the disc pads closed against the drum. That is what that parking brake on the scooter does.

Pull the brake handle out until it locks in place. Now adjust that nut until the back wheel will no longer spin. Then release the hand brake and make sure the rear wheel spins freely.. simple enough. Like I said, if you can't get it to work, ask the service department. They can do it. For the new bikes, if it wasn't set up correctly when you bought it, that is on them. That was part of the Setup fee you paid.
Old Scoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Old Scoot »

:o Parking brake on a scooter :? Never heard of that before, is this some US ruling? :roll:
:? Where would a scooter or bike go on the center or side stand? ;)
MikeP
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: White /red

Post by MikeP »

I simply don’t use mine at all. Forgot it was on one two many times. Last time I drove 35km to a local town, my drum was so hot I could have fried bacon and eggs. Fortunately I did not damage anything.
That being said I am just cautious when parking and usually put her on the center stand.
Happiness is two wheels and a full tank of gas!
Rickjds
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2020
Color: Candy Luster Re

Post by Rickjds »

I had a 2017 and the parking brake was as discussed, round knob that you pull to set the brake. The 2020 is different however. Every thing to set the brake is on the left handbrake, which personally I haven’t seen before, maybe somewhere knows of this set up.
Attachments
2020 parking brake
2020 parking brake
32039EE3-F38C-4AB2-8EDD-4FE4FC82637E.jpeg (54.19 KiB) Viewed 1029 times