Top Box venting mods?

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

Eiron
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Poseidon Black

Top Box venting mods?

Post by Eiron »

On the occasions I've taken the scoot for grocery shopping, I've sometimes worried about the top box heating up the refrigerated food. (e.g., yesterday I was visiting friends who gave me eggs from their chickens, and the trip home was 1/2 hr in 95F blazing sunshine) I have the Shad SH39 and it looks like you could drill some ventilation holes in the labyrinth seal that would allow airflow without risking any water getting in.

Has anyone tried this?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: Top Box venting mods?

Post by Mel46 »

I would not do that. It will let in not only rain, but also unless they are in the top, the heat will build up until it can go out the holes. Any area below the holes will stay hot. With some experimenting you might be able to add holes at the top that can be closed when you want, such as in the cooler months or when it is wet out.

Another option is something that I do. I purchased a collapsible cooler bag. I keep it under my seat until I need it at the grocery store. Once I have grocery items in it, I zip up the top and either store it in the tailbox or under the seat. The food is protected either way.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote:I would not do that. It will let in not only rain, but also unless they are in the top, the heat will build up until it can go out the holes. Any area below the holes will stay hot. With some experimenting you might be able to add holes at the top that can be closed when you want, such as in the cooler months or when it is wet out.

Another option is something that I do. I purchased a collapsible cooler bag. I keep it under my seat until I need it at the grocery store. Once I have grocery items in it, I zip up the top and either store it in the tailbox or under the seat. The food is protected either way.

Hallelujah
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Not going to be any warmer than the boot (trunk) of a car.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

gn2 wrote:Not going to be any warmer than the boot (trunk) of a car.
Almost no one here has a trunk any longer here in the States.
The 3-box cars are nearly extinct. Manufacturers are dropping them from their lines.
Everdamthing is an SUV these days....or a truck.
Wind whistling through topcase holes would sound like a strafing Stuka Ju-87...without providing much cooling. It'd be The Battle of Britian all over again, on the streets of Colorado, for no good reason!
Fish
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

fish wrote:
gn2 wrote:Not going to be any warmer than the boot (trunk) of a car.
Almost no one here has a trunk any longer here in the States.
Fish
Mibbes aye, but for long enough you did and grocery haulage wasn't a problem..... ;)
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
pcx man
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pcx man »

Use a cooler bag. That is what I do when I shop to keep things cold for the ride home.
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Eiron »

I took some temps in the shade and in the sun, and then some inside the box:
Shade: 75°F
Sun: 95°F
Box, closed, in the sun: 103°F
Box, vented, in the sun: 97°F

Each temp was recorded after 20 min. For the vented box measurement I stuck a pencil next to the latch to keep it from closing all the way. There was no breeze, so "venting" was passive heat escape. I'd expect a greater heat reduction if there was air flowing thru the box.

If I decide to vent the box, putting holes in the labyrinth seal edge will prevent water from entering the box. If you're really paranoid, you could always put the exterior hole in a different chamber than the interior hole and then drill from one chamber to the next. I'd put in four sets of holes, two for entry and two for exit, maybe 1/4" in diameter.
Attachments
shad_sh39_vent.JPG
shad_sh39_vent.JPG (241.2 KiB) Viewed 1826 times
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Get a cooler bag, put it in your top box, and then take that temperature as well. My guess is that it will be a lot lower than those other temperatures. That is why I keep one in my bike. Also, if I KNOW that I am going to the store to purchase items that need to remain cool, I add a coldpack to the bag.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Saw a new $8,000 Vespa with the regulation free-bee plastic-milk-crate-from-behind-the-grocer's yesterday.
Very good ventilation in those.

Fish
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Rain will keep it cool just fine......
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Eiron »

Mel46 wrote:Get a cooler bag, put it in your top box, and then take that temperature as well. My guess is that it will be a lot lower than those other temperatures. That is why I keep one in my bike. Also, if I KNOW that I am going to the store to purchase items that need to remain cool, I add a coldpack to the bag.
Without any coldpack, the cooler will be as warm as the top box because there's nothing keeping it cool. It will help anything placed inside to remain cooler simply because it's a more confined (and insulated) space. The problem, as in my 'visiting friends' example, is when I'm unexpectedly transporting cold items.

fish wrote:Saw a new $8,000 Vespa with the regulation free-bee plastic-milk-crate-from-behind-the-grocer's yesterday.
Very good ventilation in those.
:lol: True, but they tend to fall short on security and rain protection!

you you wrote:Rain will keep it cool just fine......
Also true, but those aren't the times I need cooling! :D Also, I tend to avoid taking the scoot out in the rain ....
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

When my wife and I would go on all day rides we would fill a cooler bag with cold drinks and cold packs and we would store it in the tailbox. The drinks remained cold all day. If we planned right, we could stop at the store on our way home and purchase some food that needed to be cooled. Putting it in the cooler worked great. Use it all day, and still be able to use it that evening on our way home.

However, if you want to drill holes in your box then do so. It is your box.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Eiron
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Eiron »

Yes, I agree that being able to anticipate my cold-storage needs is the optimal solution. Of course, packing coolers with ice packs before heading out would provide as much refrigeration as I could want on a ride.

Instead, my question was directed towards anyone who might've modified their box to allow for airflow cooling for those unexpected situations where a sealed box on a long-ish ride in the sun might be too hot. :geek:
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

:) I can't see how it would hurt drilling a few properly placed venting holes within the box to vent and circulate some air. What could be the downside? :roll: Hmm... During long intermissions, a few creepy crawlers may find their way in - make a home. Ahh, but you can always Shut the doors - simply plug those holes up. Ace hardware is like a candy store, a 5&dime. Just make sure you Drill holes to fit the (rubber) plugs or other plugs you buy.

I like this idea of yours Eiron! 8) even though I don't have a top box.
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Eiron »

Yes WhiteNoise, exterior plugs from Ace was exactly what I was thinking, too! :D
My local store carries both rubber plugs and flexible plastic "furniture" and "automotive panel" plugs.
I don't think I'll ever be without a top box -- it adds so much convenience and subtracts zero fun!! :ugeek:
As they used to say on TV, "Try it -- you'll like it!" :lol:
Attachments
white.jpg
white.jpg (42.09 KiB) Viewed 1718 times
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Painting the box a reflective white might help
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Eiron, you are teasing me! Dangling the lollipop, waving the ice-cream cone :D well yeah...
That top box looks Delicious! Sexy in fact. I love it, But....no can do. "It's Too Late Baby, It's Too Late."
I may be in the market for another bike by next spring/summer - not absolutely sure. So purchasing "that beauty" might be a waste of $$. You get that right?
Thanks for sharing...so purdy 8)

FUN! Did you get to Ace? Get to drilling yet? Happy fiddling Sunday to ya! :P
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You