MPG: Getting around 90

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

vito
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: silver

MPG: Getting around 90

Post by vito »

Reading on this forum about folks that get 115 mpg or similar numbers, made me wonder about how those PCX's are being ridden. I've had my PCX150 for about 2 months now, and have 800 miles on the odometer. Although I live in a small city, I am close to the "edge" of that city and most of my riding is on country roads or semi-country roads with either a 45 mph or 55 mph posted speed. And maybe because I have been riding motorcycles for the last 35 years, I tend to be pretty heavy on the throttle with the little PCX. I find this scooter is tremendous fun to ride, and a very, very different experience than when I ride my Honda Goldwing. So most of the time I am pushing the PCX for all its worth, and it seems to handle this just fine, but my mpg is averaging right about 90. I guess if I lived in a big city and mostly or only rode the scooter in heavy, slow traffic, my mpg would be much higher, but I think that would be far less fun.

FWIW, riding the Goldwing two up, then riding the PCX solo and aggressively, I am starting to think that maybe at some point I should trade them both in and get something in the middle as my only ride. Since Honda does not make such a thing (at least for sale in the U.S.), the Burgman 400 is sounding better and better. I need to take one for a demo ride and see if its as much fun as the PCX, while having the power to actually get on Interstate highways.
U.S. Army retired
Former MSF Instructor
Fully retired!
2019 Honda PCX150
2021 Can Am Spyder RT
HondaC110
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Bronze

Re: MPG: Getting around 90

Post by HondaC110 »

I have a '19 and average 93 or 94 mpg. My riding consists of 100% traffic jamming in San Francisco. The poor little thing never really gets out on any kind of open road...
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2016

Post by big bear »

im getting 119 miles per gallon but i ride all back roads with no red lights and few stop signs
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

90 US mpg is pretty good, I used to get around 90 imperial mpg
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
jburner
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 PCX
Color: Black

Post by jburner »

vito wrote:Reading on this forum about folks that get 115 mpg or similar numbers, made me wonder about how those PCX's are being ridden. I've had my PCX150 for about 2 months now, and have 800 miles on the odometer. Although I live in a small city, I am close to the "edge" of that city and most of my riding is on country roads or semi-country roads with either a 45 mph or 55 mph posted speed. And maybe because I have been riding motorcycles for the last 35 years, I tend to be pretty heavy on the throttle with the little PCX. I find this scooter is tremendous fun to ride, and a very, very different experience than when I ride my Honda Goldwing. So most of the time I am pushing the PCX for all its worth, and it seems to handle this just fine, but my mpg is averaging right about 90. I guess if I lived in a big city and mostly or only rode the scooter in heavy, slow traffic, my mpg would be much higher, but I think that would be far less fun.

FWIW, riding the Goldwing two up, then riding the PCX solo and aggressively, I am starting to think that maybe at some point I should trade them both in and get something in the middle as my only ride. Since Honda does not make such a thing (at least for sale in the U.S.), the Burgman 400 is sounding better and better. I need to take one for a demo ride and see if its as much fun as the PCX, while having the power to actually get on Interstate highways.
This was my reason for getting the Forza 300. My first fill up said 67, but calculating at the pump was better than 70mpg. It held the interstate very well and had no problem going 75, but I was the only one on it.
OldGuywhoTinkers
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by OldGuywhoTinkers »

With a partial blocker plate over the radiator IN WINTER, I can maintain 90 mpg. In the summer it depends on engine condition, speed, traffic lights. I have gone from 90 mpg to 107 mpg in the summer. Things tend towards the lowest number.

Do remember that in the winter, without a 195 F thermostat or a blocker plate blocking partial air over cold winter air, that you can lose on a motorcycle or scooter, up to 8 or 9 mpg.
vito
Regular User
Regular User

Post by vito »

"This was my reason for getting the Forza 300. My first fill up said 67, but calculating at the pump was better than 70mpg. It held the interstate very well and had no problem going 75, but I was the only one on it.[/quote]

Not being mechanically inclined, and for other reasons, I have never bought a used bike. I don't believe that Honda still makes the Forza, at least for U.S. distribution. Many years ago, while recuperating from double knee replacement, I traded my motorcycle in for a Honda Silverwing. It was an amazing machine, but because of its size and weight, the experience of riding it was nothing like the sense of freedom and flexibility of the PCX. I guess I want the best of both worlds; something as light and nimble as the PCX but with an engine capable of real speed. I'm not sure if the Burgman would feel much more like the Silverwing than it would the PCX, and the same for the Yamaha Xmax. I did try the Vespa 300, which had no problem quickly reaching over 70 mph and clearly had more oomph left in the engine at that speed, but I just did not like the "feel" of the Vespa, nor the high price. Maybe it was the small wheel size on the Vespa, but the riding experience on the PCX is far superior in my opinion.
U.S. Army retired
Former MSF Instructor
Fully retired!
2019 Honda PCX150
2021 Can Am Spyder RT
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I think the PCX doesn't do it's best until after it reaches somewhere around 1800 miles.
Also, riding at 55 mph will lower your mpg because it is built to run all day at between 45 - 50 mph. When I take mine on back country roads It just runs and runs, and still gets 114mpg. I have a tall Givi windshield to divert the wind, and a comfortable seat. What more would I need?
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

Is this using the PCX own fuel average meter or based on your own calculation?

My meter says I'm averaging 120 mpg and I'm usually running at 45-55 mph too (with occasional WOT on open roads). I doubt the meter is accurate though.

But 90 mpg is a little too much for a 150cc engine I believe.
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
Regular User
Regular User
Color: 15 Forza

Post by 87112 »

You won't be let down by getting a 300. They are made for those of us who only want to pay and maintain one scooter. Its highly capable on the freeway and only once a while do I think its too much for under 55mph with it extra weight.

I loathed the thought of paying more than I have to for insurance and state tab fees yearly so I think I will always own a do it all 300 vs owning 2 scooters.
:geek:
vito
Regular User
Regular User

Post by vito »

Regarding insurance. When I added the PCX150 to my bike coverage with Progressive (for full year round coverage) my total insurance bill went DOWN by $3. The "multi bike" discount slightly more than covered the added coverage for the second "bike". But it does seem likely that if I went to just a 300cc scooter the total insurance bill would be lower than I now pay for the Goldwing and the PCX.
U.S. Army retired
Former MSF Instructor
Fully retired!
2019 Honda PCX150
2021 Can Am Spyder RT
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

alx123 wrote:But 90 mpg is a little too much for a 150cc engine I believe.
Honda advertises the bike as an economy bike that gets 100+ mpg. It lives up to that quite nicely if you do not spend your time trying to ride WOT. After the engine breaks in and the bike is ridden at moderate speeds (45 - 50 mph) it will give you 100 mpg, and if you do not do a lot of stop-and-go in traffic it will give you even better averages.

When I ride the back country roads I constantly get around 114 mpg. I really couldn't ask for better than that, though once in a while it actually surprises me and does even better. It all depends on how you ride.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

TurraJohnny
Color: Red!!!!

Post by TurraJohnny »

I have a photo I took last week showing my 2019 with 5000 miles doing 172 mpg. If I knew how to post this photo I would. I was riding around 30 mph around the back country roads for around 17 miles.
Usually I get around 100 mpg
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Poseidon Black

Post by Eiron »

vito wrote:... I tend to be pretty heavy on the throttle with the little PCX. ... So most of the time I am pushing the PCX for all its worth, and it seems to handle this just fine, but my mpg is averaging right about 90.
That sounds pretty good to me for your style of riding. I have just over 9200 mi on my 2015 and I average about 110 mpg over the course of an entire year. But I try to find roads that allow me to cruise between 35-45 mph as often as possible.

OldGuywhoTinkers wrote:With a partial blocker plate over the radiator IN WINTER, I can maintain 90 mpg. In the summer it depends on engine condition, speed, traffic lights. I have gone from 90 mpg to 107 mpg in the summer. Things tend towards the lowest number.
Do remember that in the winter, without a 195 F thermostat or a blocker plate blocking partial air over cold winter air, that you can lose on a motorcycle or scooter, up to 8 or 9 mpg.
Yeah, my mpg has a similar seasonal fluctuation, from about 106 to 116. I've also been running Mobil 1 15W-50 in both the engine and transmission for the past 4 yrs and this Spring just switched to 0W-40 in the engine. I'm interested to see if that helps the cold weather mpg at all.

alx123 wrote:Is this using the PCX own fuel average meter or based on your own calculation?
My meter says I'm averaging 120 mpg and I'm usually running at 45-55 mph too (with occasional WOT on open roads). I doubt the meter is accurate though.
This is a good question. My OBD always reads falsely high, but the Fuelly mpg always matches my hand calc. I also find that the better mpg I get, the more inaccurately high the OBD is.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Just keep in mind that if you "tend to be pretty heavy on the throttle with the little PCX. ... " your gas mileage will go down, just like it does in a car. Even a very economical car, when driven hard, will give you bad mpg. Even if you purchased a larger displacement scooter, your mpg would really suck if you were continually heavy on the throttle.

I Loved my Burgman 400, but it did NOT get 100 mpg. You can not expect both performance AND economy out of anything. That just is not practical. If you want to keep up with freeway traffic, get a bigger bike. If you want a dependable bike that can run all day on a sip of gas, keep the PCX and ride it for what it is intended to be, a dependable, economical intown scooter.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote:Just keep in mind that if you "tend to be pretty heavy on the throttle with the little PCX. ... " your gas mileage will go down, just like it does in a car. Even a very economical car, when driven hard, will give you bad mpg. Even if you purchased a larger displacement scooter, your mpg would really suck if you were continually heavy on the throttle.
Hallelujah.
Antjp
Color: White

Post by Antjp »

:D I’ve done about 50 miles so far, mpg meters showing 115mpg. The scooters only got 110 miles on the clock.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Antjp wrote::D I’ve done about 50 miles so far, mpg meters showing 115mpg. The scooters only got 110 miles on the clock.
Your gas mileage will get even better, so keep riding like you are. If you will be very impressed if you take it on a daytime trip out into the countryside. The less stop-and-go it has to do, the better it will perform.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Just arrived home from collecting my Xmax 300, sixty(ish) mile trip at an average of 93mpg.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
vito
Regular User
Regular User

Post by vito »

What does the Xmax promise as a top speed?
U.S. Army retired
Former MSF Instructor
Fully retired!
2019 Honda PCX150
2021 Can Am Spyder RT