NJ to CA PCX 150 ride Completed - PART II

Meetups, rallies, or scooter-related events.

Moderator: Modsquad

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: NJ to CA PCX 150 ride completed - Part II

Post by you you »

CTPCX wrote:Really enjoyed the photos from your trip last summer. Thanks for posting. I saw that someone had asked you about the tools you took with you on that journey. I am interested in that as well. I am going to be taking a ride through all 6 New England states this August. I have new Michelins that probably wont have more than 500 miles on them before I leave. But what are the basic tools you feel a person may really have need of?
Thanks for any info you can provide.
Perhaps you might not need tools as you are scootering through a first world country not the 1950s
CTPCX
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016
Color: red

Post by CTPCX »

Not really sure what you mean, you you. I'm planning on driving through some large tracts of rural land, lumber company lands, where there is spotty cell phone service and not a lot of people. I wouldn't mind some advice from those who have traveled long distance on the PCX on what may be common problems that occur and can be fixed on the road.
2015 Ruckus
2016 PCX
Inoplanetyanin
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018
Color: WHITE

Post by Inoplanetyanin »

Hi CTPCX, thanks for the cheers.

Yes, I definitely always take some tools with me on scooter journeys.
Other than the first aid kit, the next most important is tire repair (I've carried 3 tire irons, much of patches, set of rim protectors, thick mechanics gloves, pump, valve core, soap and such things to replace or repair the tires). Obviously wrenches or sockets to be able to remove the wheels.

Actually I carry a set of sockets and few wrenches/ good quality allen wrench (these are always useful, for example to adjust the mirrors).

I carried a spare belt and therefore a tool needed to hold the pulley to loosen the nut. Spare spark plug, obviously socket for that. Several basic screw drivers, some electric and duct tape, some wire, wire cutters, couple of pliers.

Nothing too crazy given the bike was almost new when I rode it across. I am thinking of doing an Alaska trip on it and I will definitely carry a spare new tire for each wheels and maybe a tube also, also a spare air filter (with a gasket).

If your bike has a lot of miles and you are going far, then carrying some extra parts might be reasonable, e.g. gaskets, bearings, fuses, spare fuel and water pump, tools to replace all those and the skills to do that.

Good luck, a lock for the front disc is also light and effective theft deterrent.
CTPCX
Regular User
Regular User

Post by CTPCX »

thanks for the detailed list. Appreciate you getting back to me so quickly. I see the focus on tires which I wasn't thinking so much about since I have newer tires but will definitely prepare for now.
2015 Ruckus
2016 PCX
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I have not ridden across country on my PCX, but I have done some very long day trips. I carry a couple of adjustable wrenches for mirrors, a screwdriver (it helps if you have a small electric one), and a metric socket set with the ratchet. Of course, duct tape is essential. When I am going to travel through remote areas I carry my can of Slime Tube Sealant as well.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Slime-Tube-S ... QZEALw_wcB
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

CTPCX wrote:Not really sure what you mean, you you. I'm planning on driving through some large tracts of rural land, lumber company lands, where there is spotty cell phone service and not a lot of people. I wouldn't mind some advice from those who have traveled long distance on the PCX on what may be common problems that occur and can be fixed on the road.

The point is you are only going to go for a ride on a scooter. Do you think it’s going to explode?

Get it done and send some pictures.
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

I am going to be taking a ride through all 6 New England states this August. I have new Michelins that probably wont have more than 500 miles on them before I leave. But what are the basic tools you feel a person may really have need of?
I concur with Mel that having a can of tire sealant onboard like "Slime" is a good idea . . . especially on a long haul. A cell phone to call for assistance is only good if you get a signal and know who to call within reach.

Having emergency tire sealant with you to fix a flat is advisable.

Also, I hope you've put some serious ride time in on the PCX to get accustomed to what it will feel like on longer rides. You don't want to be a long distance from home and start having pain issues. Seat comfort is very important. Pain can cause fatigue and fatigue can cause distraction. Safety first!

Plan your routes and possible alternate routes to avoid Interstate Highways. To cross a river or deal with certain situations you may have to get up to "expressway" speeds but try to keep them brief.

I've done traveling through other states more than once but only on motorcycles and never anything smaller than a 250cc Honda Rebel. So traveling on a PCX 150 will require some patience and good planning.

It's an admirable goal you have set for yourself. I sincerely wish you the best of luck. Really think it through thoroughly. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best! :D
CTPCX
Regular User
Regular User

Post by CTPCX »

Thanks for the recommendations.
I agree Old Grinner that I’ll need to do more practice runs for distance. So far I have only done ones of 50-60 miles RT. But I don’t plan on making this a marathon as I have places I’m picking out to stay within reasonable distances. I am actually using this as a chance to meet up w family and friends around these states and spend some time w them. So I may not be driving every day. I don’t really have any deadlines. And except for bridges the interstate is not needed. I’m looking forward to some of the long state roads in the northern states. Beautiful scenery.
2015 Ruckus
2016 PCX
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Do they still have Spring floods up in the Northeast? Be careful of those. My wife is from Pennsylvania and the rivers flood in the spring as the ice melts.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

CTPCX
Regular User
Regular User

Post by CTPCX »

We do but I’m planning on going in August.
2015 Ruckus
2016 PCX
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Re: NJ to CA PCX 150 ride Completed - PART II

Post by WhiteNoise »

It's July 2020 :P Is your trip still on schedule CTPCX? August?
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Mikhail, your photo's are magazine worthy - They're absolutely Stunning!
What an awesome trip and accomplishment for one individual to achieve. Kudo's to you and your Great White! 8)

Living to Tell a "True" Story for a Lifetime!!
Crystal Ball o_O Round up friends, (+ one that plays a ukulele), set up camp, burgers, dogs, beer, Lotsa beer = Keg and get to unfolding your adventure.
Leave Intermission to The Strings
Perfect :)

BTW, thanks for the link to the Amazon GPS bar clamp ;) sold by Charger City (whom I have purchased directly from in the past - no problems).

Cheers & More Happy Trails to You!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

From all of my many many travels across this United States on various types of bikes, there is one thing that I learned that Old Grinner stated. Take some longer test rides so that you can see how comfortable the seat is. Now is the time to do any adjustments or addons to make the seat as comfortable as possible. It is a horrible feeling to get halfway through your trip and have your back ache so much that you are not sure that you can continue on the trip. Resting can only do so much when you are on a long ride. You know that you have to get your bike home, so you push yourself and don't get to enjoy the rest of the trip. Had I not changed out my PCX seat before my one day/5 States run, I would probably would have cut the trip short. However, after changing the seat, the shocks, the tires (to MCP) and the windshield, my bike ride was great and my wife's bike was just as comfortable, so we enjoyed the entire trip from start to end. That was only a 400 - 500 mile run, but it gave us a perspective of how a longer trip would be...and, yes, we could have done a longer run at the end of the day.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

CTPCX
Regular User
Regular User

Post by CTPCX »

My trip is no longer set for August due to the pandemic. My plan was to visit family and friends in all the New England states and the world has changed since then. Some are not crazy about the fact of me traveling and staying with them. I can understand. I also don't want to be a imposition to anyone or stress them out.
So it gives me more time to practice long runs. I had to take a break during the spring months anyways. We'll see what things look like in the early Fall or plan for next year.
2015 Ruckus
2016 PCX
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

My trip is no longer set for August due to the pandemic. My plan was to visit family and friends in all the New England states and the world has changed since then. Some are not crazy about the fact of me traveling and staying with them. I can understand. I also don't want to be a imposition to anyone or stress them out.
So it gives me more time to practice long runs. I had to take a break during the spring months anyways. We'll see what things look like in the early Fall or plan for next year.
My family has postponed events as well . . ..

In the mean time we do the best we can. It does take some getting used to . . .. :roll:

Hope things work out for you and your journey plans when times are better. :D
CTPCX
Regular User
Regular User

Post by CTPCX »

Thanks Old Grinner,
I'll keep an eye out for your XMAX when I am cruising the breezeway in Fenwick. I love driving down there.
2015 Ruckus
2016 PCX
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

CTPCX, I totally understand. In fact I intended on bringing up the pandemic in my post, and then changed my mind. Why? Because we hear so much everyday, it's unavoidable.
Truthfully I'd do the same - cancel the trip, for everyone's sake.
As others mentioned (and you agreed), Not going will allow you the time to experiment.
My belief, "things happen for a reason."
Stay well Have fun Ride safely :)
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Thanks Old Grinner,
I'll keep an eye out for your XMAX when I am cruising the breezeway in Fenwick. I love driving down there.
Yes . . . it's a nice ride across South Cove on the Causeway and a fantastic view across Long Island Sound by Fenwood and Knollwood too!

If you see a scooter that looks like a "Bat Cycle" it's the XMax. :lol:

Views of the lower CT River and North Cove . . ..
100_6326a.jpg
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Then you could wave across the Long Island Sound at Long Island's Orient Point - Hi!!
Wave bigger and Long Island's Northern Coastline might catch a glimpse - Hel-looo!!
That is.....
"On a Clear Day" ;) :P

OldG, I tried to find detailed map online of our two coastlines showing locations, Orient Point, LI & Fenwood, CT. - I quit after 10 mins. Wazz up? Must be looking in the wrong places

Happy Saturday!! It'sa Hottie!!
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

OldG, I tried to find detailed map online of our two coastlines showing locations, Orient Point, LI & Fenwood, CT. - I quit after 10 mins. Wazz up? Must be looking in the wrong places

Happy Saturday!! It'sa Hottie!!
It sure is hot!

Damn hot! The humidity is obnoxious to boot too . . .. :roll:

I've been to Orient Point a few times on the Ferry out of New London years ago. Took a tour boat ride to Sag Harbor also. Great radio station. WLNG 92.1 . . . on the "Redwood Causeway". :lol:

When you look at a map of Connecticut look at where the Connecticut River meets Long Island Sound. Old Saybrook is on the left (showing Rt. 154) and Old Lyme is on the right (showing Rt. 156). It's one of the oldest towns in America. It used to be part of the original Massachusetts Bay Colony. :D

Here's a pic looking at the Causeway from Fenwick.
100_4776a.jpg
Another pic looking at the "Outer Lighthouse" at Fenwick back when I had my PCX.
100_4772a.jpg