Windshield or not?

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red white

Windshield or not?

Post by relic »

Changed back to the stock after using the aftermarket NC high shield. What a difference, I can see where I an going now.
Seems my focal point was distorted when looking through the taller screen, much better now.
Whole different bike-live and learn.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: Windshield or not?

Post by Mel46 »

The advantage of the taller windshield is that it diverts the wind. My tall Givi is just short of my eyes, so I am looking over it. My wife looks through hers and likes the total protection it affords. I think having a tall windshield is a preference, so some riders have the taller one and some have the mid-height one... and others have added a spoiler to their mid-height screen.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

I'm using a medium height windshield, I can still see the road and it prevents the air from hitting me straight on the chest. Wind can be exhausting and I don't smell like road dust when I arrive at the office anymore. I believe a more taller windshield would confuse me too.
20446379_1611752662190994_1968795566_o.jpg
20446379_1611752662190994_1968795566_o.jpg (123.95 KiB) Viewed 1527 times
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Changed back to the stock after using the aftermarket NC high shield. What a difference, I can see where I an going now.
Seems my focal point was distorted when looking through the taller screen, much better now.
Whole different bike-live and learn.
My tall Givi is just short of my eyes, so I am looking over it.
I prefer being able to look over the top of my windscreens. Yet I still get good protection. Depending upon how they are designed has a lot to do with aerodynamics and buffeting etc. . ..

It allows you to get a "real" view. No worry about glare or obscure scratches or distracting bug splatter.

Stock XMax windscreen - great
Stock accessory Zuma 125 windscreen - great
Rifle 22 in. windscreen for Suzuki Bandit - great
Stock quarter fairing screen on KLR - no problem but not much protection

As an added note I don't get any noticeable helmet buffeting with any of these screens. I have an HJC SyMax III and a CL-17. Never had any problems with my older helmets either.

All my windscreens are clear. I use sunglasses/shades when needed. 8)

That said if you have any issues with helmet shields or sun glasses you can just deal with replacing or upgrading those. Easier and cheaper than getting a new windscreen. :D
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

I installed a Givi mid height screen a few months after getting my scoot. I rode with it for awhile and found I was being pushed around. Our Stupid traffic doesn't help - Swoosh!
Not liking any of that. Airborn sensation, reminds me of hydroplaning. I ride for enjoyment not to get my arse kicked around ( :oops: sorry. Nah, Not.) and that's not fun. So off went the Givi, back on went the stock. Been riding with stock since. I'm use to it and I especially enjoy being 'part of' the outdoors.

However,

I def understand the benefits of a taller screen. It does more then take the wind beating, it protects you. From debris flying off the road or just airborne thingies-bugs, birds, bats,...you can fill in the other stuff. Then there's bad weather conditions. No doubt, the taller than stock screen will help.
About screen color, I like the 'look' of Smokey/Dark screens vs Clear screens, but they're Not a smart choice. We as Riders need the best view At All Times.

Relic, choice is ours. You made yours. Me too.
Big, medium or small screen. Color or clear.
Be safe, be comfortable and Dangit, Have Fun!!!
YES, Wear a helmet one with face shield! PLEASE

Someday I may change my point of view (get that?) :lol: All it will take is one Big Smack-er-roo! of something o_O Then I'll be shopping, but first asking....
Mid Screen or Tall Screen? What make, Givi or ............?
WN, Nooooo don't ask!! :lol:
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

alx123,
you're right about smelling like road dirt afterwards and then some....
Just yesterday I came in from riding, took my mesh jacket off and settled in for dinner. I kept smelling an odor. I thought it was my scooter fumes, but not.
Then I remembered sitting at a traffic light and smelling trash (baking in the heat) like a dump odor. Looking around me, in the lane next to me under a car, lay an unrecognizable dead creature (just hours old). The stench was beyond, beyond. God awful! Racoon? Something big. Sad. So Smashed.
Well That stayed on my clothes and in my olfactory system throughout the evening. Thank God it left me by bedtime.

Dust 'n stuff, yer darn right!
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
romnation
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Black

Post by romnation »

alx123 wrote:I'm using a medium height windshield, I can still see the road and it prevents the air from hitting me straight on the chest. Wind can be exhausting and I don't smell like road dust when I arrive at the office anymore. I believe a more taller windshield would confuse me too.
Which windshield make/model is this?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

You should never be looking through the screen, always over it.
Smaller the screen, cleaner the air.
Wind noise, turbulence and buffeting is less with the standard screen.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
CTPCX
Regular User
Regular User
Color: red

Post by CTPCX »

I installed a National Tall windshield (clear) on my PCX about a month ago. It comes to about my chin so I can see over it easily and rarely need to look through it. It helps to remind me to keep my head up and my eyes focus farther up the road instead of right in front of me.
But it has also been great to ride with. My usual commute is about 45 highway miles away and I use my car. For those offices we have that are 40 or less miles I have been using the PCX on good days and it's been great with the windshield. Huge difference. 45-50 mph is comfortable. Today was perfect weather for a ride along the CT River on my way to work. Took the ferry on way home.
I prefer the way the stock looks on the bike but the windshield is worth it.
2015 Ruckus
2016 PCX
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

romnation wrote:
alx123 wrote:I'm using a medium height windshield, I can still see the road and it prevents the air from hitting me straight on the chest. Wind can be exhausting and I don't smell like road dust when I arrive at the office anymore. I believe a more taller windshield would confuse me too.
Which windshield make/model is this?
A locally made one, I'm not sure you can find one outside of Thailand.
https://www.likitracingshop.com/1542658 ... B2-for-pcx
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...