HJC CL17 FF Helmet

Riding jackets, pants, boots, GPS, toolkits, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

HJC CL17 FF Helmet

Post by Old Grinner »

So the time had come to toss my faithful Shoei RFR FF helmet . . .. I'm almost embarrassed to admit I've been riding with it for over 20 years. It's usually recommended to replace a helmet every few years since the liner and impact resistant materials tend to deteriorate (Styrofoam for example) and lose their protective qualities. I had to puff up some of the fore head padding with sponge material to kick the can down the road . . . not wise but at the time it got me through.

I wrestled with getting a new 3/4 helmet for hot weather riding to compliment the HJC SyMax III I bought a couple of years ago but the traffic density continues to increase and the incidences of stupidity are in abundant supply thus making a FF helmet more sensible. That said I threw out my old 3/4 helmet a few weeks ago with the anticipation of getting some kind of replacement but wasn't sure what it would be yet.

After much thought and deliberation I concluded that the HJC CL17 checked the most boxes on the list for me when compared with the alternatives. It will be my main "go to" helmet for around town and shorter excursions all year long. The SyMax III remains my long distance helmet. :geek:

Bottom line:

It's relatively lightweight.
Air circulates quite freely inside the helmet which is ideal for really hot weather. There are intake vents in the chin, forehead, and top (three places . . . yes . . . and they all work!!!).
I chose "white" for visibility from what was available.
The breath deflector seems to actually work so far . . . but it's been hot and humid. Will see what happens in cooler temperatures. Seems comfortable riding with shield fully shut.
The price was $125 plus tax with free shipping.
It seemed true to size . . ..
View range is excellent . . . top to bottom and side to side.
Excellent quality, made at the HJC Vietnam facility. I've always been impressed with the quality of products made in Vietnam. My white PCX was too! :D
Again, the ventilation is excellent for a FF helmet. You can really feel the air rushing around your head as you ride. Skip the 3/4 helmet in hot climates/seasons and get one of these instead.
The helmet comes with instruction booklet and helmet bag for storage.
Totally pleased and yes I'd buy it gain. Great deal for so little money . . .. :D
100_6051a.jpg
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: HJC CL17 FF Helmet

Post by gn2 »

I've got the HJC IS-17 its also an excellent helmet and superb value for money.
Came with a pinlock insert which works a treat.
White is the correct colour for helmets. :geek:
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

I put on some sunglasses and went for a ride with the CL17 again this afternoon.

It was tight getting them on over the ears (I always put the helmet on first before sunglasses) but OK otherwise. It would be easier if the sunglasses had straight stems. TBH I don't think I'll be using sunglasses with it much.

However, for early morning or sunset rides where I'll be facing into the sun I'll continue to take my SyMax III with the slide down sun shield. When you don't need them they retract back into the helmet shell quite nicely.

I see that the IS17 also features the slide down sun shield as well. Nice to have. 8)
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Old Grinner wrote:I see that the IS17 also features the slide down sun shield as well. Nice to have. 8)
Yep, it works really well.
When I first had it.... when I got an itchy nose I found with the sun visor down I couldn't scratch kit, then I discovered there are two positions and with it in the upper position I can.
Don't know why I get an itchy nose, my grandma said it was a sign of getting angry.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Yesterday morning I took about a 40 mile ride on the XMax with the new CL-17 Helmet.

On the return loop I brought the scoot up on a turnpike and did about 10 miles in the 65+ MPH range. Most of the traffic was just speeding by me but I wasn't in a rush. What was considered fast when I was growing up is now considered slow. Times change . . ..

That said the XMax doesn't disappoint in power keeping up with traffic on major highways. It will go with the flow . . .. ;)

Anyhow, although the helmet can be somewhat noisy it's worth it in hot/humid weather. The ventilation continues to serve well.

I predict in cooler weather with the vents closed it will be more quiet. But even in Winter I still prefer to keep the chin vent open.

Under speed the aerodynamics seemed fine too. No sense of buffeting or any weird sensations. Just a nice smooth cool ride considering Summer has officially arrived in spades. 8)

As I mentioned previously, it's nice to be able to feel the air moving around your head and still be wearing a full faced helmet. :D
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

gn2 wrote:
Old Grinner wrote:I see that the IS17 also features the slide down sun shield as well. Nice to have. 8)
Yep, it works really well.
When I first had it.... when I got an itchy nose I found with the sun visor down I couldn't scratch kit, then I discovered there are two positions and with it in the upper position I can.
Don't know why I get an itchy nose, my grandma said it was a sign of getting angry.
Winter/summer I never fully close the face shield. ....and in summer freq feel a tickle on nose. Think it has to do with a little zephyr, or static buildup from the plastic. Always try to deal with it...to no good result.
Or, I, too, might be a closet "pissed-off" rider?
Fish
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

The CL17 continues to work out great.

Also the Icon knee armor are handy to have as well. I don't wear them on every ride but I do when duty calls.

Long live the ride . . . long live the destination.
100_6018a.jpg
100_6019a.jpg
100_6021a.jpg
Back to reality . . .. 8)