New Forza 300 - 1st Impressions

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Oldie
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 19 SH300
Color: Red

Re: New Forza 300 - 1st Impressions

Post by Oldie »

Updated thoughts on the Forza.

Plus points.

Light weight and so easy to live with.
Cheap to buy.
Fully automatic – perfect for touring.
Fantastic weather protection.
Electric screen, a major plus point.
Ergonomics suit me perfectly.
Firm, yet comfortable, seat.
Easy to adjust riding position on long runs.
Quick off the mark plus a decent top end.
Good mpg and 200+ mile range.
Precise handling and grip plus great at slow speeds.
Decent sized wheels.
8,000 mile service intervals.
Good underseat storage.
Traction control useful on wet city centre roads.
Keyless ignition.
Good onboard computer info.
Quality build/finish.
Full LED lighting
Free Datatool Tracker (£9 per month)

Negatives.

Mirors give restricted coverage.
Suspension is basic – avoid potholes!
After-market cruise control required.
Probably more “nickable” than a normal bike.
Not many thrills, but still fun.
Speedo error excessive
Lack of stop/start

I know that maxi scoots aren't everyone's cup of tea but I'm finding it hard to see why more people don't use them for touring. I stepped off the bike yesterday feeling like I could do it all again, something which my ageing body hasn't been able to do for some time. Usually my knees, backside and neck are beginning to ache after 4 hours but not any more, hopefully. Seriously, for 5 grand it's a belter of a bike.
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Four questions. . ..

1) Is it easy to get it on the center stand? My PCX was a cinch.

2) When you say "nickable" I assume you mean thieves will find it appealing? Or, otherwise do you mean the paint?

3) Would you say that to replace the rear shocks or do a valve clearance check it will be necessary to go through the same type of panel uninstall/reinstall process as with the PCX?

4) And you say the valve check schedule is every 8K miles?. . .any other details about that? Does it have the same slide to the side rockers (no cam shaft removal) to access the shims like the CB300F? Since it's shims rather than screw and nut adjustment I think I'd just have the dealer do it. May only need to have it done twice. . .the initial and then one more time. Just guessing. :geek:

Thanks. . .. :geek:
Oldie
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Oldie »

Old Grinner wrote:
Four questions. . ..

1) Is it easy to get it on the center stand? My PCX was a cinch. Still a cinch.

2) When you say "nickable" I assume you mean thieves will find it appealing? Or, otherwise do you mean the paint? Thieves - scooters are popular targets in the UK, but more in the cities I guess.

3) Would you say that to replace the rear shocks or do a valve clearance check it will be necessary to go through the same type of panel uninstall/reinstall process as with the PCX? I've just contacted my shock supplier to find out what he has for the Forza. Then I'll have a look at how easy the job will be. As for valve clearances, I'm finally going to let the dealer do it. I've almost completely stopped working on my bikes to get a bit more time riding them.

4) And you say the valve check schedule is every 8K miles?. . .any other details about that? Does it have the same slide to the side rockers (no cam shaft removal) to access the shims like the CB300F? Since it's shims rather than screw and nut adjustment I think I'd just have the dealer do it. May only need to have it done twice. . .the initial and then one more time. Just guessing. :geek:
Valves are every 16,000 miles so I probably won't even read up on how to do them. The service schedule is great on these bikes!

Thanks. . .. :geek: All good questions. Only moderately geeky - must try harder :lol:
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

Oldie wrote:Updated thoughts on the Forza.

I know that maxi scoots aren't everyone's cup of tea but I'm finding it hard to see why more people don't use them for touring. I stepped off the bike yesterday feeling like I could do it all again, something which my ageing body hasn't been able to do for some time. Usually my knees, backside and neck are beginning to ache after 4 hours but not any more, hopefully. Seriously, for 5 grand it's a belter of a bike.
I now have 2200 miles on my Xmax, and I'm getting ready to do another 800 mile trip after Thanksgiving. I agree 100%, it's a great touring machine in all respects for me, much more so than my dedicated bigger Touring machines that I've owed from BMW, Kaw and Honda. I get better coverage on the Maxi-scooters for weather, the storage is internal so I don't have huge bulky bags, and the power is more than enough to get across the country in comfort. I think the problem here in the US is what A Scooter is thought to be, I haven't had anybody, including my motorcycle friends, that really knew what the Maxi scooters will do, and the stereotype is a "50cc Vespa" in their mind. I had a similar problem with the PCX… But much more so with a larger 300 type bike.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Oldie
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Oldie »

Jge64 wrote:I now have 2200 miles on my Xmax, and I'm getting ready to do another 800 mile trip after Thanksgiving. I agree 100%, it's a great touring machine in all respects for me, much more so than my dedicated bigger Touring machines that I've owed from BMW, Kaw and Honda.
I posted on the NT700 forum about the benefits of maxi's as touring bikes. Basically I said that, after having owned 6 NT's, I was firmly of the opinion that a maxi made much more sense as a tourer and set out my reasoning. I didn't even receive one reply. People don't like change!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

The Honda 300cc engine as fitted in the SH and Forza mk1&2 has an 8000 mile service interval.
The valve clearance check and belt clearance are every 16000 miles.
Cam removal is not required, its an sohc with rockers.
So its a small service at 12 months or 8000 miles and a big service a year later or 16000 miles
(for comparison Xmax 300 is 6000 and 12000)
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

Negatives.

Speedo error excessive
Lack of stop/start
Yuck. When I can't buy a new vehicle (Car / MC or Scoot) WITHOUT stop start I'll be looking for nice older used ones. But I guess I'm in the minority because Start/Stop and Hybrid or Electrics are getting popular and alot of people like them. Please tolerate my whining a bit.
PasciBKK
Color: Black

Post by PasciBKK »

I just replaced my 2018 Forza 300's stock sliding pieces and sliding rolls with these fine pieces of engineering. Acceleration is easily up 30% from what it was before + it's super smooth at the same time. I highly highly recommend them for anyone that wants to give their Forza 300 even more aggressive acceleration Dr Pulley's SP2418-K and SR2318/6-18:
Attachments
Dr Pulley's SP2418-K and SR2318/6-18
Dr Pulley's SP2418-K and SR2318/6-18
DSC_2330.jpg (136.87 KiB) Viewed 15355 times
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Oldie wrote:Updated thoughts on the Forza.

Plus points.

Light weight and so easy to live with.
Cheap to buy.
Fully automatic – perfect for touring.
Fantastic weather protection.
Electric screen, a major plus point.
Ergonomics suit me perfectly.
Firm, yet comfortable, seat.
Easy to adjust riding position on long runs.
Quick off the mark plus a decent top end.
Good mpg and 200+ mile range.
Precise handling and grip plus great at slow speeds.
Decent sized wheels.
8,000 mile service intervals.
Good underseat storage.
Traction control useful on wet city centre roads.
Keyless ignition.
Good onboard computer info.
Quality build/finish.
Full LED lighting
Free Datatool Tracker (£9 per month)

Negatives.

Speedo error excessive
Lack of stop/start

Regarding your mirrors. ...
Think you will like mirrors from a Honda 2014 CB500X. I noticed this when my son parked his 500X next to my Forza....baddabing!
They are exactly like the Forza mirrors, but with slightly longer stems. Look stock...but much better rear vision. Order a set from your Honda dealer.
Fish
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by springer1 »

Regarding your mirrors. ...
Think you will like mirrors from a Honda 2014 CB500X. I noticed this when my son parked his 500X next to my Forza....baddabing!
They are exactly like the Forza mirrors, but with slightly longer stems. Look stock...but much better rear vision. Order a set from your Honda dealer.
Fish
+1 ...... Also does wonders for rear visibility for a PCX.
Oldie
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Oldie »

fish wrote:Regarding your mirrors. ...
Fish
Unfortunately it's a completely different design. The new Forza has fairing mounted units.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

You can get extenders for fairing mount mirrors too, or remove them and replace with bar mount ones.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Oldie
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Oldie »

To be honest, it doesn't bother me that much now - you simply adapt. Just means a slight movement of the head from time to time, bo biggie. The design should have been better though.
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by springer1 »

Oldie wrote: .......The design should have been better though.
Yep, I can't figure Honda's thinking on this. Maybe some of their owners are smaller and the mirrors are OK. But even for them, there's no downside to simply making the stalks an inch longer and re-shaping the outer edge of the glass so it gives a more practical field of vision. And even with the ongoing discussions on various forums, they still don't change it.
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Unfortunately it's a completely different design. The new Forza has fairing mounted units.
Maybe I missed something here but there must be a wiring harness going into the new Forza turn signal indicators as well . . . right?

So they aren't just regular stalk type mirrors that would allow for aftermarket replacements like the PCX. :?

Being able to filter through city traffic is probably a big influence on the design parameters when Honda engineers brainstorm a new model. So larger riders just end up having to adjust and adapt or remove and replace. :geek:
Oldie
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Oldie »

Don't be distracted from the fact that Mr Honda has produced a wonderful motorcycle here. Taken as a whole, it's a great machine, particularly at this price point. It will do everything I need, quickly and in total comfort (well almost, if the rear springs were a little better).

Any negatives are far outweighed by the many positives - for example, where else can you get an electric screen for this kind of money? It really is a great package and I've never been so impressed by any new model that I've owned. I just can't find another motorcycle which has all the attributes that I need and that weighs in at 400 lbs / 182 kg. The superb weather protection, excellent storage, highway capable, great fuel economy, top build quality.....the list goes on.

Can you tell that I'm happy :D
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Can you tell that I'm happy

You should be.. its a extremely versatile bike , well balanced . and has some get up and go.. Good choice.. and Good luck with it.
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

One thing I will say is that I seldom, if ever, see a used Forza (2015/2016), in my area on Craig's List for sale.

Whomever bought them must be hanging onto them.

That said an occasional Reflex 250 or Helix (usually older, mediocre shape, higher mileage) shows up in the ads but they are nowhere near the machine that the new Forza 300 is.

I continue to wait as others do for the introduction of the new Forza into the North American market.

It will be interesting to see how the seat comfort compares (at least in my case) between the XMax and the Forza when I am ready to buy. Since both scooters are very good, the XMax being a bit more sporty and the Forza being a little more relaxed from what I've seen/read/heard, it will be the ergonomics that will be the biggest selling point to me. :D
Regular User
Regular User
Color: 15 Forza

Post by 87112 »

The Xmax has less footroom and feels more cramped for stretching out your legs compared to the 1st gen Forza. I just sat on one this past weekend and was less than impressed by that. No ideal how it rides but as a Yamaha product I expect nothing than very sporty from that company.
For reference I am not exactly NBA sized at 5 feet 6 and 30 inseam.
:geek:
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

87112 wrote:The Xmax has less footroom and feels more cramped for stretching out your legs compared to the 1st gen Forza. I just sat on one this past weekend and was less than impressed by that. No ideal how it rides but as a Yamaha product I expect nothing than very sporty from that company.
For reference I am not exactly NBA sized at 5 feet 6 and 30 inseam.
I have an early 2014 Honda Forza which I ride a lot but I am also 5 feet 6 with ONLY a 26 inseam.

Jealous of the long legs.

But I have strong toenails.