New Forza 300 - 1st Impressions

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Re: New Forza 300 - 1st Impressions

Post by WhiteNoise »

Ah good, thank you!
Video is lost in a myriad of youtubes that flood the www. I understand. At best you tried to find it, so thanks for that too! ;)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014
Color: grey

Post by dergav »

Fish...
wing mirrors ...and just to avoid anyone reading this thread being confused.
I assume you are referring to the "just replaced Forza NSS300"...not the new Forza300...when advising about replacement wing mirrors. I had picked up that tip some time ago on this forum, I think from yourself, but by then I had added the extension pieces to my older model Forza300...which I am happy with..Some I know are not so enthused about the looks of extension pieces but I think they are OK.
I don't think you can do very much re extending/widening the new Forza300 wing mirrors which for me could be a problem if ever considering getting one.
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

I may have posted this vid before. . .not sure. . .but it's from another Mr. Fish and he does a most excellent review of the new Forza 300. :D

About the mirrors. . . 8)

If you jump forward to the 18 minute mark in the video you will shortly be rewarded with a good spiel about the mirrors and their functionality. ;)

All that said he really digs the machine and it's design despite his being quite tall. If you decide to watch the entire movie you won't be disappointed and will be a better informed potential customer. The old adage "Seeing is believing" is true but "Sitting is believing" can be just as important as well when it comes to seating accommodations on a motor scooter. 8)
PasciBKK
Year: 2018
Color: Black

Post by PasciBKK »

Hi Guys,

New in this web board but not new to PCX nor Forza. Have been riding the first version of the PCX 125 for a good 6 years here in Thailand and just upgraded to the 2018 Forza 300.

One very interesting note and rather odd is that the Forza is heaps cheaper here in Thailand than in Europe (usually cars and motorcycles are more expensive here due to 300% import tax but I assume this bike is assembled here, this the lower cost). The cost here is THB 169,000 which is roughly EUR 4,430. I think in Europe the same bike costs EUR 5,200?

So far I LOVE the Forza 300 2018 model. It accelerates fast and smooth, has a high riding position, great breaks, goes through Bangkok traffic (one of the worst in the world!) pretty well. Will be taking it out to the mountains/national park this weekend for a longer ride to enjoy the country side.

One thing I have noticed is that even during short rides, the bike get VERY hot under the seat. You don't notice it when driving but notice it when opening up the seat cover. My jacket in there for example is melting hot - is that normal? Having said that it's hot and humid in BKK with 34C and 70% humidity.

Another thing I noticed is that when I am driving a certain speed (50km/h) there is a humming/vibration sound/feeling coming from the bike. This only appeared after I changed the shocks from factory to the YSS shock absorbers. Perhaps it's related to that? Not sure.

I have done some modifications and will be posting photos of it all in follow up posts.

Here are some initial photos of the bike with the Shad top box SH39 and YSS G-Sport shock absorbers (rear and front upgrade):
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (114.48 KiB) Viewed 14951 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (83.28 KiB) Viewed 14951 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (127.56 KiB) Viewed 14951 times
DSC_1909.JPG
DSC_1909.JPG (144.21 KiB) Viewed 15020 times
DSC_1908.JPG
DSC_1908.JPG (154.61 KiB) Viewed 15020 times
DSC_1907.JPG
DSC_1907.JPG (145.01 KiB) Viewed 15020 times
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

PasciBKK wrote:Hi Guys, New in this web board but not new to PCX nor Forza. Have been riding the first version of the PCX 125 for a good 6 years here in Thailand and just upgraded to the 2018 Forza 300.
Welcome to the forums.

What part of BKK are you in? I moved from there at the end of last year. I had been living just off of Sukhumvit by Terminal 21 for almost 6 years. I buzzed around BKK on a PPCX125.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Another thing I noticed is that when I am driving a certain speed (50km/h) there is a humming/vibration sound/feeling coming from the bike. This only appeared after I changed the shocks from factory to the YSS shock absorbers. Perhaps it's related to that? Not sure.
If the new shocks cause the Forza to have less clearance between the underside of the fender and the rear tire or cause rubbing on the outer most edge of the rear tire that could make noise. I'm not sure if you rode the scoot much after these pictures were taken (nice pics!) but if I were you I would get a flash light and look up underneath the rear fender and see if there are any low hanging cables, wires, hoses, or anything like that which normally don't have interference problems with the wheel with the stock OEM shocks installed. Look for signs of rubbing. . .darkened scratched up looking plastic or really shiny metal parts. . .or places where the paint or finish looks like it was worn off.

Many years ago I put lowering blocks on a road bike and heard a similar sound and after careful examination I discovered that the tire was hitting the tail light/turn signal wiring which was routed underneath the fender. After I removed the lowering blocks and taped up the wiring the problem went away.

If you still have concerns I would take to a dealer ASAP and have it checked out. They may discover something. . ..

Safety first! :geek:
PasciBKK

Post by PasciBKK »

kramnala58 wrote:What part of BKK are you in? I moved from there at the end of last year. I had been living just off of Sukhumvit by Terminal 21 for almost 6 years. I buzzed around BKK on a PPCX125.
Thanks for the welcome. I live on Ekamai. :) Going to take the beast to Khao Yai tonight for a real spin.
PasciBKK

Post by PasciBKK »

Old Grinner wrote:...but if I were you I would get a flash light and look up underneath the rear fender and see if there are any low hanging cables, wires, hoses, or anything like that which normally don't have interference problems with the wheel with the stock OEM shocks installed...
Thanks a lot for the tips. Just took a good look but didn't find any cables or scratches whatsoever. Will take it for a longer drive tonight and see if the sound subsides...
Some pictures from today also some photos of the mobile phone holder and the noodle bag holder (very important in Thailand :)):
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (125.63 KiB) Viewed 14950 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (132.98 KiB) Viewed 14950 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (114.28 KiB) Viewed 14950 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (93.01 KiB) Viewed 14950 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (79.93 KiB) Viewed 14950 times
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

One thing I have noticed is that even during short rides, the bike get VERY hot under the seat. You don't notice it when driving but notice it when opening up the seat cover. My jacket in there for example is melting hot - is that normal? Having said that it's hot and humid in BKK with 34C and 70% humidity.
If you would be so kind as to let us know if the excessive heat situation goes away in the under seat storage area that would be helpful as well. :geek:
PasciBKK

Post by PasciBKK »

Old Grinner wrote:If you would be so kind as to let us know if the excessive heat situation goes away in the under seat storage area that would be helpful as well. :geek:
It's still hot but I guess that's normal.

Took the bike for a good 500km ride to a national park here in Thailand and loved every second of it. It just performs sooo well and smooth.
The only thing that I'd fault is that there is not enough leg-room. I'm 180cm tall and after a couple hours on the bike you feel a bit cramped in your legs as you cannot stretch them all the way. But that gets resolved by either taking a break or just stretching the legs into the air :)
Attachments
DSC_2041-2.jpg
DSC_2041-2.jpg (233.87 KiB) Viewed 14915 times
DSC_1991-2.jpg
DSC_1991-2.jpg (266.71 KiB) Viewed 14915 times
Oldie
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 19 SH300
Color: Red

Post by Oldie »

It really is a great scooter. I've never been more comfortable on any bike and, in particular, the electric screen is so versatile.

If I had to be picky then I'd like mirrors with a wider angle, slightly better suspension and a stop/start feature. However, at this price point it competes really well with anything else on the market.

As for comfort, taller riders will be able to flat foot, at the expense of restricted leg position. At 5'8 (173cm) I have about the perfect compromise.

Performance is great and I ride much the same as I do on my larger bikes without feeling that something is missing. Sure, it's not a thrilling machine but more than compensates by it's smooth delivery, great handling and super-light weight. Such an easy bike to live with.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Beautiful looking place in the pictures.
PasciBKK

Post by PasciBKK »

you you wrote:Beautiful looking place in the pictures.
Thanks, that's Khao Yai National Park, 2.5hrs north of Bangkok, Thailand: https://goo.gl/maps/LK7S4od5Yk42
artworkings
Year: 2019
Color: Blue

Post by artworkings »

Had mine just over a month now, have to say I love it. Only small gripe and it can be worked around is the adj screen could do with being about 150mm higher in its top position. Apart from that brilliant.
Oldie
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Oldie »

artworkings wrote: Only small gripe and it can be worked around is the adj screen could do with being about 150mm higher in its top position.
At 5'8 I find the screen height perfect, but I always prefer to look over a screen and never through it. As with all effective screens, however, there is a certain amount of "back pressure" caused by the vacuum effect in front of the rider and I feel that if the screen were any larger then this would be even more pronounced.

Having owned just about every bike out there, mostly with screens, or after-market screens, I have to say that the Forza has the best all round protection, yet still giving the feeling of being on a motorcycle. For example, I always found that the (hugely effective) screens on the BMW RT gave a detached feeling, something which I hate on a bike. The Forza setup is amazingly good, in my opinion, but maybe it's just down to me being the right height for the bike.

Having said all that, it will be interesting to see what after-market screens become available as I wouldn't mind one which gave some protection to the hands.

Now 6 weeks into ownership of the Forza and just feel very lucky to have got my hands on one.
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Now 6 weeks into ownership of the Forza and just feel very lucky to have got my hands on one.
Finding something in life that truly seems to work out at the end of the day is rare and when it does occur it's almost miraculous.

Glad your new Forza is all you hoped it would be and more. The fact that you've had so many machines before and the Forza ranks so high on your list now can attest to the wisdom gained through living to ride and riding to live all those years! 8)

I've been a victim of the "Grass is always greener" often along the way with the selection of motorcycles I've owned. However, through wisdom and fortitude, I now interpret that age old adage as "The grass is always greener until you have to mow it!". :lol:
Oldie
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Oldie »

Having taken my new Forza 300 to show it to the guys at the local Yamaha dealership they suggested that I take out their Xmax 300 demo just to see how the bikes compare and, of course, I found that they were both very similar and both good bikes.

I only had the Xmax for half an hour so hardly enough time to make a proper comparison although I've not done that many miles on the Forza either so that hopefully balances out any natural bias that I might have for the bike that I actually own.

Anyway, I immediately loved the Xmax seat. It's a great design and very comfortable. Sadly, and this would stop me buying one, it's just too high for me (29” inseam). However, on the move, it's excellent. We discussed this afterwards and there's probably a way round this, or likely to be at some point in the future. The Forza seat is just a bit lower, or certainly feels lower, and is right on my comfort limit.

Performance wise, you certainly notice that the Yamaha spins up quicker than the Forza . Maybe I was giving it a bit more throttle than I would on my new Honda but it's certainly no slouch and gets up to motorway speeds really quickly. Sounds a bit noisier than the Forza which is either good or bad, depending upon what you like. Handling feels very similar on both bikes and I think that the Xmax rear suspension might be a bit better although the extra padding in the seat maybe just gives that impression. I'm pretty sure that it is better though as the Honda is fairly basic. I was a bit concerned about the feet position on the Yamaha which tends to splay out as you bring your feet back – maybe the tunnel is wider at that point. It's not the kind of thing which makes that much difference but it is noticeable.

In terms of overall comfort when on the move I did feel that the Xmax was a slightly more compact bike with a little less bulk in front of the rider. This makes it slightly more draughty and, again, you could see this as a plus or a minus. The screen works well and I would be more than happy with it if I wasn't already sold on the Forza's electric set up. For most people this is probably a minor issue, the main thing being that the screens on both bikes are very effective.

So, both bikes are great scoots. The quality of the finish is excellent and they both look great. I probably prefer the Forza because of the seat height and the screen although the extra power of the Xmax is an attraction.
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

So, both bikes are great scoots. The quality of the finish is excellent and they both look great. I probably prefer the Forza because of the seat height and the screen although the extra power of the Xmax is an attraction.
Great comparison. . .and thanks for taking the time to let us know. ;)

Everything seems to have it's pluses and minuses but at the end of the day I agree that they both seem to be great scoots taking their idiosyncracies into consideration. :geek:

I just happened by my local Yamaha/Suzuki dealer earlier today to ask a question about the Zuma 125 (which I'm very satisfied with BTW) and was unable to get a chance to sit on a new XMax when I inquired. They were sold out. . .. The new ones should be rolling in later this month but I'm not fond of the color of the 2019 models to be sold here in the U.S. right off the bat. I think they should be painted in bright highly visible colors. Styling with dark black matte finishes is just not a wise choice IMHO. But some manufactures marketing research departments must either have data that say's that's what the consumers want or it's a supply line pricing thing when it comes to production costs. Somehow. . .no matter what the brand. . .manufactures do occasionally come up with some funky colors that just don't sell well. You've seen them. . .the bikes that sit for a couple of years on showroom floors collecting dust and eventually sell because they've had to mark them down to bargain basement prices. :roll:

Anyhow, I digress. At this point I'm still looking forward to seeing the new Forza on my local dealer's showroom floor someday to see how it fits. . .. Your comment about the seat comfort on the XMax is duly noted. My Zuma seat is not low slung either but I can live with it and it's comfort level exceeds my experience with my PCX. If the PCX seat was designed to fit a broader range of people I'd still have it today (and just deal with the horn button location).

On another note, I'm starting to become fascinated with the new Honda Super Cub 125. Recently I saw a used '69 (50cc) missing pieces priced at $2000 and another for $600 which seemed mostly in tact. There is something about that Super Cub and the fact they've sold a ton of them that haunts me. But I can't have both the Forza and the Super Cub. o_O
Time will tell. . .and I as I've said before I can save up the $$.

If it were today I'd give the coin toss to the Forza 300. I like it's presence when it's coming at you (from videos I've seen). . .seems more visible. . .and those turn signals on the mirrors are a safety feature. Plus the passenger accommodations seem more congenial. And Honda is a class act when it comes to delivery and follow up when it comes to their products. In my experience they dot the "i's"and cross the "t's". The Honda dealer still keeps in touch with me letting me know about any sales they have too. :geek:

Even when I bought my Honda Fit earlier this year, everyone in the dealership gathered on the sales floor to give me a big thanks and let me know how much they appreciated my business. It really was like standing in front of a large crowd. :D

FWIW the salesman at the Yamaha dealer could have said "Hey, sorry we don't have the new XMax in yet for you to look at but as soon as they arrive I can let you know". I guess he just didn't see the opportunity to increase the chances of a sale. :?
Oldie
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Oldie »

I took my Forza for it's first service today hoping to get it done before I'd reached 1000 miles. I'd already changed the oil/filter shortly after getting the bike but for the sake of £100 / $130 it's probably worth getting the book stamped, especially as it won't need done again until the 8,000 mile mark. I like to keep the warranty & full breakdown cover not open to question, especially as I'm planning some long trips.

Anyway, the weather today was mainly dry and 50 degrees when I set off into a moderate headwind. I had a 2 hr ride ahead of me, mainly on motorway/highway. I covered 110 miles in 1hr 40min, all in total comfort and never wanting for more power. It's fantastic having a bike which weighs so little, yet is stable at speed. The weather protection is exceptional and the electric screen a godsend. - great for a quick de-misting of your visor!

Well, I loved every minute and returned home with no aches or pains ( a first for me) and could have kept riding if I had the time. Warmer temps and a tail wind made for a super ride back (even faster!), with some hazy sunshine and quiet roads. What a great bike this is. Definitely one of the best (maybe the best) that I've owned and will easily cope with the type of European tours that I do. I'm not even sure how you could significantly improve it and keep it at this price point. Its just excellent value for money.

As a footnote, my dealer told me that there's now a waiting list for the Forza and he doesn't know when he'll be getting another one in the showroom. They also did a great job on the bike eg regreased the centre stand pivots etc
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Another 15hp and 5litres more fuel capacity wouldn't go amiss.
Oh, and they still need to sort the rear brake caliper location.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong