Warranty "service requirements" in the UK?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Eiron
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Poseidon Black

Re: Warranty "service requirements" in the UK?

Post by Eiron »

Sorry everyone. I didn't intend to abandon this thread! I've read thru everything and find this last set of links from gn2 especially helpful in understanding the warranty perspectives in the UK:
gn2 wrote:Here's the unsuccesful attempt to include motorcycles:
https://tinyurl.com/y9gfks6l

Definition of a motor vehicle is in section 4.2.1 on Page 16 of this .pdf
https://tinyurl.com/y84d9k2r
Questions for gn2:
1) Was the automobile industry so much more anti-competitive that the motorcycle industry was really viewed as having "no sector-specific competition problem"??
2) Do you have any idea why the petition to include motorcycles was brought to court? (i.e, was there some sort of warranty argument?)
3) What happened after 2010? (I found this CECRA Position Paper hypothesizing on the topic)

I'll copy/paste the email exchanges I had with Honda UK in my next post in this thread.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

1 haven't a clue
2 believe it wasn't a court case
3 afaik, nothing
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Honda can easily decide that the owner has failed to show this adequately and void the warranty.
Honda are legally able to do so.
Owner is then in the position of having to fight Honda who have the legislation on their side.
There's only ever going to be one winner in that scenario.

1. Wrong Honda has to prove that service was inadequate, voiding could cause excessive costs and negative publicity not wanted in a competitive mkt. Suzuki would love it .
2. So is the owner
3. Honda would never fight a claim in court if the service records were kept.
4. Mostlikely the owner.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Easyrider, if I'm ever in need of some legal assistance I'll be sure to bring you over here to represent me... :lol:
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

gn2 wrote:Easyrider, if I'm ever in need of some legal assistance I'll be sure to bring you over here to represent me... :lol:
You got it ! No problem, be happy to help out..
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Poseidon Black

Post by Eiron »

Sorry for the extended delays in getting back to this thread. :oops:

Since the original thread that motivated my contact with Honda UK was addressing owner oil changes, my discussions with them were specifically targeted at this aspect and not towards general repairs. (My impression is that Honda UK would prefer you take your PCX to an "approved" mechanic for mechanical repairs, but I wouldn't rule out asking more 'pointed questions' if you had a good case for doing the repairs yourself.)

I originally contacted Honda UK thru their Contact Us web page, and their initial reply did not include my original question. I'll try to recreate my initial question, and then paste the actual email exchanges I had with Honda UK. From the very beginning I was up-front that I was asking about a PCX that was not mine. Because this entire exchange took me nearly a month to complete, I feel confident that the answers were carefully researched by the representatives before they responded. As such, I'm treating this as a Honda UK response* and removing the representatives' names from their emails.
*See the disclaimer info at the end of this post.

Day 1, initial query --
Hello,
My friend owns a PCX125 and was commenting on the need for changing the oil. In order to ensure that it gets done in a timely fashion, he would like to perform the oil changes himself, but is concerned about having the service record appropriately endorsed. Can you provide some guidance on what he can do to secure the necessary documentation?
Thanks and regards,
[me]

Day 3, Honda UK response --
Dear __,

Thank you for contacting Honda UK with your query.

Honda highly recommends all vehicles or machinery manufactured by Honda to be maintained by Honda authorised dealerships, as they are Honda technicians who are trained and qualified to service Honda products, following the procedures recommended by Honda.

If your or your friend decides to service the motorcycle in question outside the Honda authorised dealership network, Honda would need a proof that the routine service is done, so that the warranty could be kept valid. Such proof could be the invoice from the service. Thus, only independent VAT registered service points could service the motorcycle, if you would like the warranty to be valid.

Any damage that results from repair or maintenance performed using methods not specified by Honda or the use of non-genuine Honda parts will not be covered under the warranty.

Should you have further queries, do not hesitate to contact us back.
Kind Regards,

[rep #1]

Honda Customer Service

Honda Motor Europe Ltd.

Honda UK

Day 4, my reply --
Hi [rep #1],

Thank you very much for your quick reply. If I understand your explanation correctly, proper verification is crucial. My friend is willing to provide whatever documentation is necessary in order to perform regular oil changes himself. (He already regularly checks the oil level on his PCX and adds oil as it consumed by the motorbike, which we're assuming is acceptable to Honda without documentation.) If he secures the oil receipts with the service record and records the change date himself, would that qualify?

Thanks and regards,

[me]

Day 6, HUK response --
Dear __,

Thank you for your response.

So that we could provide any confirmation, could you please provide us with the registration number of the scooter and could also please let us know whether your friend is mechanically trained?

We are looking forward to your response.

Kind Regards,

[rep #1]

Honda Customer Service

Honda Motor Europe Ltd.

Honda UK

Day 6, my reply --
Hi [rep #1],

My friend is mechanically skilled but not formally trained. Unfortunately, he lives in Newcastle and I do not, so I do not have access to his registration information. (He doesn't know I'm asking these questions on his behalf.) He is somewhat of a stickler when it comes to maintenance on his vehicles, and he prefers to keep ahead of the recommended service intervals.

With so little oil capacity to the engine, and with the motorbike consuming oil during operation, it seems that this would be one of the more critical maintenance functions of the owner. Am I to understand that adding oil between services without documentation is not recommended?

Thanks and regards,

[me]

Day 8, HUK response --
Dear __,

Thank you for your response.

We are glad to learn that your friend would take a good care of the scooter. We are sure that he also finds the standard inspections before use as common. There are detailed instruction what pre-use checked are required in the owner's manual, that the scooter will be supplied with.

To ensure safety, it is the rider's responsibility to perform a pre-ride inspection and make sure that any problem that could be found is corrected. A pre-ride inspection is a must, not only for safety, but because having a breakdown, or even a flat tyre, can be a major inconvenience. Check the following items before you get on your scooter:

● Fuel level - Fill fuel tank when necessary;

● Throttle - Check for smooth opening and full closing in all steering positions.

● Engine oil level - Add engine oil if necessary. Check for leaks.

● Coolant level - Add coolant if required. Check for leaks.

● Brakes - Check operation; Front: check brake fluid level and pads wear. Rear: check shoes wear and freeplay, adjust if necessary.

● Lights and horn - Check that lights, indicators and horn function properly.

● Side stand ignition cut-off system – Check for proper function.

● Wheels and tyres - Check condition, air pressure and adjust if necessary.

We have forwarded your query to Honda Customer Relations, so that they could provide a confirmation what maintenance will be accepted in relation to the conditions of the warranty.

Should you have further queries, do not hesitate to contact us back.

Kind Regards,

[rep #1]

Honda Customer Service

Honda Motor Europe Ltd.

Honda UK
At this point I thanked [rep #1] for their help and said I would wait for Honda Customer Relations to contact me.

Day 14, HUK-CR response --
Dear __

Thank you for your recent e-mail regarding the servicing on your Honda PCX125.

I can see that your enquiry relates to the changing of the oil in your scooter. Honda (UK) understand that some customers with to work on their own machines in terms of servicing and this is something that they are able to do. If parts are needed, the customer would need to ensure that genuine Honda parts are used (or parts of the same quality). As part of routine maintenance, it is also imperative that the oil is checked during the servicing schedules and also on a weekly basis. If oil is required, it would need to be the oil that is stated in the owner’s manual and the correct amount is put into the machine. If the machine were to be over-filled or run out of oil at any time, and this in turn caused any issues with the engine on the machine, this is not something that would be covered by the 2 year warranty.

I hope this clarifies your questions, thank you once again for contacting Honda (UK)

Kind Regards,
[rep #2]

Customer Relations Coordinator
Customer & Aftersales
Honda (UK)

Day 17, my reply --
Hi [rep #2],

Thank you for your response. Yes, this is very helpful and a sensible outline of procedures (with regards to services required, attention to condition, and using only Honda-specified parts). What sort of documentation should be provided on the occasion that an oil change is performed at home?

Thanks and regards,

[me]

Day 24, HUK-CR response --
Dear __

Thank you for your email.

With regards to documenting the oil change, you would need to keep receipt of the oil you have used and where it was purchased. I would recommend keeping the purchase receipt to confirm this.

Thank you once again for contacting Honda (UK)

Kind Regards,
[rep #2]

Customer Relations Coordinator
Customer & Aftersales
Honda (UK)

Also, in the interest of full disclosure, I will provide the "Disclaimer" info at the bottom of the Honda UK Customer Relations emails. (This is relevant to my line of questioning regarding someone else's PCX.) Note that no similar disclaimer was attached to the Customer Service emails:
Disclaimer: This email is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Honda Motor Europe Ltd. or any of its group of companies. If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. Honda Motor Europe Limited, company no. 857969, registered in England and Wales, Cain Road , Bracknell , Berkshire , RG12 1HL Visit our website: http://www.honda.co.uk
Now, I understand people's reluctance to challenge a large manufacturer on the guidelines surrounding their warranty coverage. Even with the consumer protections we enjoy here in the US, there are still a large number of folks who will only go the the dealers for any servicing during the warranty period. However, from a maintenance perspective, routine checking and maintaining oil level between changes is far more critical on these bikes, and yet Honda expects owners to do this without requiring any "appropriately endorsed" record by an "authorised service centre."
Marko

Post by Marko »

I've had many Hondas over many years, bikes and more recently two PCXs, a 125 for three years and now a 150 for three years.
I look at servicing this way; it's a Honda, so probably won't go seriously wrong.
If you are able service it yourself do so. The money you save by not paying dealer rates should pay for any repairs that occur during the warranty period.
I've been running Hondas on and off for forty years and never had a problem, just routine service and the usual ware and tare items.
With my two PCXs I have changed the oil at 8000 km (5000 miles), I use a 10W40 synth. car oil. Can't find a 10 30 here. Check the valves at 16000km(10000 miles). Check the plug gap, I haven't changed a plug yet, but probably will do at 24000.
Other than that, just ride it.(but do check the oil occasionally, they are know to use a drop between services.)
Ex.Honda PCX 125, (Red 2012) Now PCX 150 (2015 Grey). Honda VFR V-TEC, Quadzilla (SMC) 300 XLC (quad bike), Yamaha YFM 350 Raptor Quad
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Marko wrote:I've had many Hondas over many years, bikes and more recently two PCXs, a 125 for three years and now a 150 for three years.
I look at servicing this way; it's a Honda, so probably won't go seriously wrong.
If you are able service it yourself do so. The money you save by not paying dealer rates should pay for any repairs that occur during the warranty period.
Couldn't agree more. I've done exactly the same over 40 years and it works like a treat. I don't even bother with the 500 mile inspection on bikes that "require" it
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

you you wrote:
Marko wrote:I've had many Hondas over many years, bikes and more recently two PCXs, a 125 for three years and now a 150 for three years.
Couldn't agree more. I've done exactly the same over 40 years and it works like a treat. I don't even bother with the 500 mile inspection on bikes that "require" it
X3..I never had my vehicles serviced by the dealer..even when it was a freebie.I have more confidence in myself.Maybe I am a control freak,but like using my own abilities.