Useful additions

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Re: Useful additions

Post by GeorgeSK »

I actually like the d-ring approach, primarily because it DOES offer a way to secure, in a modest way, your helmet to the scoot. As we all know, locks are for honest people, and a determined perp will get your goods. The handlebar hook shown (assuming some bit of locking pin) would be fine to prevent the quick snatch, and that is about all anything is going to prevent.

I use the Honda wire and under-seat hook, and even made a longer wire that can thread through two helmet's d-rings. It wouldn't take much or a cable cutter to get my helmet, but I don't really leave it anyplace for very long (except work, where the scoot is under camera surveillance near the front door of the local county jail). I figure the helmet is useless (read un-fence-able) without the d-ring, so cutting the helmet off is worthless. A helmet with a snazzy ratchet clip would be nice, but then it goes under the seat or with you.

It would be intriguing if a manufacturer could figure out a lightweight loop that tucked away somewhere or hole in the shell to allow a lock to pass through. I saw this on Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/Helmetlok-Helm ... elmet+lock

May be a solution there somewhere.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

PJDawgs wrote: Again maybe I live in Mayberry or am naive but wow. What do you all do in regards to scooter security??? I never even lock the fork, use any type of lock or even the thing that you flip to cover key hole on the PCX when out. Now when I return home it does go in my locked garage but I have been to rallies and on rides all over the metro. Shoot I even conceal carry for safety and obviously don't want my scooter stolen or helmet for that matter. Sorry you all must live in some rough areas.
Hey Dawg, I was born in Wichita... yes I miss the O'L days when you could live with a screen door slammer between you and the world all night. Kansas folk give me fond memories. My Pappy worked for Cessna, Beach and Grand Pappy was Bowing all his life. Unfortunately when my turn came to join the legacy no jobs :( Neighborhood went to hell and things got scary.

I'm wondering off here, my point we used to have stolen scoot posts in here about once a month as the precious would seem to appeal to little hooligans more than serious thieves. Many of us got with the new world and started securing our gear and scoots at night. I haven't seen one of these sad posts in here for a couple months but spring is coming bro. Don't be the first one this year to post ITS GONE! don't be that guy ;)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Will it secure my thug hat?
PJDawgs
Year: 2013
Color: Husker Red

Post by PJDawgs »

Homie I hear ya. I do lock my scooter at night and as I said when home it is in garage. But when on rides and we stop for food or I do errands, ride to appointments etc I very very rarely lock my scooter. I do have the grip lock that goes around throttle and brake lever that can't be cut, also do have huge u lock, long cable lock as well as the fork lock on the PCX. Granted it is early scooting season around here and as weather gets better we will get posts locally on Facebook etc about stolen scooters, so ya it happens.
Maybe it is luck, maybe it is I ride in groups a lot, or when ride alone it is where I am at. While I do and will ride at night if I do it is rare my scooter is parked at night and out. I am either actually riding it or it is home in garage at night.
Never would have thought a simple, convenient and yes lockable helmet hook would create such an issue about thieves. I do understand when people add electronics and have different straps than the D rings. Before I got the helmet hook because I dislike the Honda cable under seat hook thing I was concerned about my custom painted helmet more than my scooter and at that time I would sent helmet on ground close to side stand.
Must also admit times and this world has changed a lot. SMH it is unfortunate but real
http://www.facebook.com/Herbie2PCX
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Spoken like a true fan :) I need to step up my game or I will be the one who loses his helmet this season. I tend to hang it on the bars and seat myself in view at the Taco Bell. We got these dam crack heads and they get desperate and bold.
Attachments
download.png
download.png (6.04 KiB) Viewed 703 times
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

homie wrote:Spoken like a true fan :) I need to step up my game or I will be the one who loses his helmet this season. I tend to hang it on the bars and seat myself in view at the Taco Bell. We got these dam crack heads and they get desperate and bold.
Chicago Bong Bong? :P
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

I think I'll get by with the "helmet setting wire" included with the tool kit that hooks under the seat. I guess you just run it through the chin strap (D-Ring?) on the helmet and close the seat to lock it in place. Not sure about the older PCX models but they have it on the newer ones from what I've seen. If a thief is going to take it to the next level and get destructive to steal a helmet then it seems to me that they are already too late and have previously suffered irreparable brain damage. Otherwise if they had a healthy brain then they wouldn't consider such an abomination. :|
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

you you wrote:Will it secure my thug hat?
:lol: :lol:

You are usually good for a chuckle or two 2U's.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Yes, he is
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
guiri

Post by guiri »

First, thanks for the welcome and I added my location to my profile.

I know someone that has the Helmet Hook and I've seen his posts in different forums.

He gets the same comments on every forum he mentions it on. It can be stolen. Anything can
and there's no way to secure it. Put it under the seat or in the top box, it can be stolen too. Take it
with you and someone can whack you in the head, steal everything including your wallet. So there's that.
What people don't focus on is how handy this thing can be. Some scooters have flat floorboards so to speak
and you can put it there but then, it'll get dirty. That's where I used to put it on my scooters. I didn't have a helmet
hook, but would have bought one if I had known about it.

I wish I had one when I was riding bikes year ago. On my bike, you had to unlock the seat, lift it, unlock the helmet lock
and then lock it all back up.

Again, I've read about this and they say that this is meant as a convenience. A quick way to hang your helmet when you stop.
Whether you leave it unattended or not. If you want to lock it, get the padlock that comes with it.

Also, for the money you pay for one, especially using the discount posted, I don't think you can go wrong. It's less than the lock
posted on amazon but I think infinitely more practical plus, you contribute to a charity if you use the code.

...and finally, I love scooters. Scooters rule! :)
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Items I own and use:

Battery Tender Jr. (Walmart a best buy) https://www.walmart.com/ip/Battery-Tend ... r/15779492

Drink 2Go cup holder https://www.drink2go.com

Guardian Bells https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i ... HU0VCIZ8NG

Diamond Gussett Defender Motorcycle Jeans (Made in USA) https://www.gusset.com/

(To be cont.)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You