How cold will you ride?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Re: How cold will you ride?

Post by Steph »

Down to 4 degrees F now. fish, you can really ride cold! Got my respect.
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by tbln930 »

Wow - I stick my bikes on the Battery Tenders when it gets below about 35 F. Not fit for man nor beast. I don't think I have ever seen a bike out below maybe 25 F. That is hard core. o_O That is why they designed SUV's. :P
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (Metallic Thunder Gray) - Sold

2013 Honda PCX 150 (Candy Rose Red) - Sold

SECoda/tbln930
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

tbln930 wrote:Wow - I stick my bikes on the Battery Tenders when it gets below about 35 F. Not fit for man nor beast. I don't think I have ever seen a bike out below maybe 25 F. That is hard core. o_O That is why they designed SUV's. :P
Yep, I cannot remember the last time I passed another person on two wheels out there. I don't like to be conspicuous or weird.....just want to use my scooter for my work commute.
Only snow or ice will stop me....temps I can deal with.safely. prediction was correct...it is 10° F out there....i see nothing on the street, so it's a go, warming the a/c scoot while brewing my coffee....
At 5:20am....I can take it slow and easy!
Fish
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Steph »

Would like to report that it's -10 degrees F. at 8:00 Am. o_O The sun is shinning making the snow look nice.
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

It's cold here too for us. 12 f and 6-10" snow coming. Our last real snow was Thanksgiving.
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

SECoda/tbln930
MikeP
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: White /red

Post by MikeP »

I got out for the ride on 11th. A beautiful 9deg C. Went to Port Renfrew, BC. Tried my hand at another video. It covers entering Port Renfrew, the campsites, estuary bridge and the town itself, plus a few snapshots. Mounted the Go Pro on the windshield which worked quite well. The roads were not exactly smooth, so the video quality is quite good all considered. If anyone has suggestions to help me improve my video's or in editing them I am all ears to your comments.

Here is a link to my video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkEmHQHytEc
Attachments
Lizard Lake
Lizard Lake
P1050291 (1280x960).jpg (742.18 KiB) Viewed 912 times
Botanical Gardens picnic area.
Botanical Gardens picnic area.
P1050298 (1280x960).jpg (871.54 KiB) Viewed 912 times
Lizard Lake campground
Lizard Lake campground
P1050289 (1280x960).jpg (970.83 KiB) Viewed 912 times
Happiness is two wheels and a full tank of gas!
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Riding? o_O
Ain't happening! Snow just stopped again. Sun out. Frickin' Freezing!!!
Temp as I type 18F, but feels like 6F or lower with gusts up to 55 miles per hour. Scoot is on a battery tender with a space heater nearby set on (auto) 50 degrees.
I roll WN weekly to prevent flat spots and I still check tire pressure.
Gosh, I wanna ride :(

Beautiful photos above, thanks ;)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

MikeP wrote:I got out for the ride on 11th. A beautiful 9deg C. Went to Port Renfrew, BC. Tried my hand at another video. It covers entering Port Renfrew, the campsites, estuary bridge and the town itself, plus a few snapshots. Mounted the Go Pro on the windshield which worked quite well. The roads were not exactly smooth, so the video quality is quite good all considered. If anyone has suggestions to help me improve my video's or in editing them I am all ears to your comments.

Here is a link to my video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkEmHQHytEc

Nice pictures and video

I've got a toshiba x-sport mounted in roughly the same position but I used the plastic infill below the screen to mount it
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Steph »

Going down to -15 F. tonight. Earlier on in the week it went down to -27 F. at my work. 18 miles North of my house. o_O
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Any pipes freezing by you Steph? It's happening all around here. We're even getting warned to stay inside. Then we get tips on keeping the pipes warmer. My fingers are crossed for tonight when our temps dip to -13. Leaving the thermostat at 68! Using a space heater in cold garage and basement.
Dang! Sure is a bad winter :( We're Breaking records.
Bet you are too!

Spring is WHEN?? :roll:
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

Cold Winter

It was October and the Indians on a remote reservation asked their new Chief if the coming winter was going to be cold or mild. Since he was a Chief in a modern society he had never been taught the old secrets. When he looked at the sky he couldn't tell what the winter was going to be like.

Nevertheless, to be on the safe side he told his tribe that the winter was indeed going to be cold and that the members of the village should collect firewood to be prepared. But being a practical leader, after several days he got an idea. He went to the phone booth, called the National Weather Service and asked, "Is the coming winter going to be cold?"

"It looks like this winter is going to be quite cold," the meteorologist at the weather service responded.

So the Chief went back to his people and told them to collect even more firewood in order to be prepared. A week later he called the National Weather Service again. "Does it still look like it is going to be a very cold winter?"

"Yes," the man at National Weather Service again replied, "it's going to be a very cold winter."

The Chief again went back to his people and ordered them to collect every scrap of firewood they could find. Two weeks later the Chief called the National Weather Service again. "Are you absolutely sure that the winter is going to be very cold?"

"Absolutely," the man replied. "It's looking more and more like it is going to be one of the coldest winters ever."

"How can you be so sure?" the Chief asked.

The weatherman replied, "The Indians are collecting firewood like crazy."

SECoda/tbln930
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Thanks!
I needed that.
Shared it with my kids and wife.....we had a hard day at a funeral....
Fish
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Our bikes have been prepped and cleaned and charged and rewired and cleaned again....so where is that Spring weather!??
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
FromMototoScooter
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by FromMototoScooter »

My scoot is the only motor vehicle that I own, so I'm subjected to year round riding ( with pleasure ), but I must say its a bit easier for me being in the south. The coldest day this year I've ridden was around 30F, not too terribly bad. Sorry to everyone in the east right now - BUNDLE UP :)
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Looks like we escaped any kind of bad winter in the south of the UK - heavy rain and near zero temps and that's all so far. Now I have a light-weght water-proof over-jacket and Spada over-gloves, even in heavy rain I arrive completely dry and the trousers and water-proof dries quickly.
Water proof motor-cycle jacket and armoured gloves seem to be lies - they all take on water if it's too heavy and let zero temp coldness in, but the cheap nylon over-clothes stop the rain %100 - result. As the over-jacket is just below knee length, it adds a layer in the seat area so now water collection does not come through like it did with the normal water-proof trousers (they were good, but too much and they started to take some water in).
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Steph »

@WhiteNoise - No frozen pipes yet. My main concern is at my work. Working hard to keep everything good there. Pipes up the wazoo. o_O It was -17 F. when I got to work today. :o Not far from there it went down to -27 F. twice again in one week. Fargin cold out there! will be warmer tomorrow.

@fish - Sorry to hear about the hard day at the funeral. Been some sad moments around my work lately. Hope all will be well soon.
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

Sorry to hear, Fish...

MikeP, where did you get your skirt from? Seems like a must have for next winter.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
MikeP
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: White /red

Post by MikeP »

This is where I ordered it from. These guys were awesome to deal with!

http://scooter-wear.com/scooter-leg-cov ... Of9KC6gyDk
Happiness is two wheels and a full tank of gas!
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

Finally - 40 F tomorrow and clear. :D It has been nearly two weeks. I am afraid to post the groundhog picture I received. :lol:

SECoda/tbln930
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Year: 2015
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

dkazzed wrote:Sorry to hear, Fish...

MikeP, where did you get your skirt from? Seems like a must have for next winter.
Where else but on a bike forum can you ask a guy where he got his skirt from??? :lol: :lol:

Maybe a Scottish forum??? :lol: :lol: