A heated Debate with my Honda service centre..

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

jkautz
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Metallic Black

Re: A heated Debate with my Honda service centre..

Post by jkautz »

Because the manual states 10w30. So it worries me that the 10w40 may overheat the engine. Is that a possibility you think?

2015 PCX150 Metallic Black
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Not a possibility.

10w40 is actually better if it's hot. You're worrying too much.

Use 10w30 in the final drive, not 10w40.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011

Post by maddiedog »

you you wrote:Check the oil regularly
Change the oil regularly
Use the rightish grade
Use a known brand

After that it fizzles out a bit. Synthetic, semi synthetic or un modified oil might make a difference for better or worse but there no one here knows for sure.

Ffs we are only taking about a litre of oil in a 8hp twist and go
I'd like to reiterate this. You people are being far too concerned about all this. Just go with the Honda specs (10w30 or 40), use non-energy conserving, synthetic blend or better, and just go ride. It's a Honda, not a race bike! :lol:
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
jkautz
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Metallic Black

Post by jkautz »

Thanks maddiedog. I've been waiting patiently for your valued advice

2015 PCX150 Metallic Black
Year: 2012
Color: Black

Post by DYankel »

Hi I'm new to the forum and from where I'm from we have just solved the problem about engine oils for PCXs and scooters in general (I'd like to think we have :D). There's a long list of arguments and reasonings but it came down to this:
1/ car engine oils and JASO MB oils are perfectly fine for your PCX.
2/ JASO MA, MA-1, MA-2 are also fine, just that your engine will operate a little hotter (this was tested on more than 10 scooters) generally because these specs are for wet clutch so the friction reducing attributes of oils that carries these specs are not as good as the ones listed in (1)
3/ as I'm from Vietnam where it gets really hot all year round, the viscosity grade does not concern us too much as we do not have cold engine start in the morning or things like that. The other end of the viscosity grade is a little different, but w30 and w40 are best (generally w30 is for new engines (less than 20000km-12500 miles) and w40 are for those that exceeds this number).
I use mobil 1 Extended performance in my engine with some additives (nanolube) and everything runs fine. Using synthetic means slightly better lubrication, longer oil change intervals (but only to 4000km being cautious).
Hope I cleared up some confusions there :).
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

DYankel wrote:Hi I'm new to the forum and from where I'm from we have just solved the problem about engine oils for PCXs and scooters in general (I'd like to think we have :D). There's a long list of arguments and reasonings but it came down to this:
1/ car engine oils and JASO MB oils are perfectly fine for your PCX.
2/ JASO MA, MA-1, MA-2 are also fine, just that your engine will operate a little hotter (this was tested on more than 10 scooters) generally because these specs are for wet clutch so the friction reducing attributes of oils that carries these specs are not as good as the ones listed in (1)
3/ as I'm from Vietnam where it gets really hot all year round, the viscosity grade does not concern us too much as we do not have cold engine start in the morning or things like that. The other end of the viscosity grade is a little different, but w30 and w40 are best (generally w30 is for new engines (less than 20000km-12500 miles) and w40 are for those that exceeds this number).
I use mobil 1 Extended performance in my engine with some additives (nanolube) and everything runs fine. Using synthetic means slightly better lubrication, longer oil change intervals (but only to 4000km being cautious).
Hope I cleared up some confusions there :).
Hello, and thanks for your input on this.
Glad to see that I am not the only one who is conservative when it ccomes to oil cange intervals.
I factor in the cost of a Honda engine vs the cost of a Qt of good oil. Helps tremendously with the decision.!
Pictures please?
Fish
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

I was looking into getting 5w30 or 5w40 due to better coverage over the whole year's range of temps and potentially better than 10w30 for sub zero in winter (I do less than 5000 miles/yr so one oil change / yr is enough). However 10w30 useful viscosity covers -18c through +40c so that is more than adequate for UK and other countries outside of Antartica and tropics / Grand Canyon :) No need to go either side of 10w30 in most countries.
Honda scooter manuals often mention MB and non power saving for clutch / engine purposes, and as we all know the oil never comes in contact with the PCX dry clutch.

Manufacturers such as Fuchs, very highly regarded and quality oils, state in the user FAQ pages that there is no recorded proof of additives causing wet-clutch syndrome and instead it's poorly maintained clutches and other issues that may on the odd instance cause problems. Bike mechanics also state the same on various forums I've browsed - it's more urban myth than true.

So, as people have stated ad-nauseum, any good quality 4-stroke (not 2 stroke, ever!) 10w30 (or either side of that if you wish) oil with lubricants (no real non power saving oils in the normal range in Europe anyway as all are classed as energy saving to some extent) will be fine.
taalaintalleri
Year: 2013
Color: white

Post by taalaintalleri »

Why do not use the oil that Honda have in the manual. It is 10-30 and jaso 903 MB. This is esther base oil and works best and cant be any harm ffor your motorbike. I think that the Honda knows best....
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Please use the recommend Honda product when you can. There might be a good reason Honda want's Moly :D
Attachments
moly.jpg
moly.jpg (205.02 KiB) Viewed 540 times
oil.jpg
oil.jpg (206.88 KiB) Viewed 540 times
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

homie wrote:Please use the recommend Honda product when you can. There might be a good reason Honda want's Moly :D

Will it help against photoshopping?
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

I just think there is miscommunication. He may have been thinking about wet clutches and there was at one time an old wives tail that synthetics contain friction modifiers that could glaze some clutches. I would bet he was an older guy that needs to be brought up to date.The PCX does not use wet clutches.