How cold will you ride?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Re: How cold will you ride?

Post by sendler2112 »

A good full face helmet with a clear pin lock visor is crucial for warmth and visibility. The best modular helmets have the advantage of swinging shut tightly around your neck.
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

Got the full face with pin lock and chin curtain. I use a balaclava and a dickie. May have to get a heaver balaclava if I get to cold.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

I like the Seirus Innovation Men's Thick N Thin Headliner. It is very thin under the helmet but thicker fleece around the neck.
http://www.amazon.com/Seirus-Innovation ... 83&sr=1-98
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Urbanfreestyle wrote:
iceman wrote:
Urbanfreestyle wrote:I ride all year round, ridden in italy once at -15°c without factoring in windchill!
You gear must be good for you to cope with those temps!
Nope! it sucked, Layers and layers, and more layers...my main issue was my chin, hands and thighs... Skipants, thermals and goretex over the top to keep the wind off a bit.
Balaclava, two of them for real cold days, keeps my neck and chin warm like nothing else.
Rode at 1 degree Fahrenheit my coldest leisure ride on day off.
The balaclava can stretch your helmet pads...so I replace them with new for summer. hjc makes set for @$12
Fish
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Steph »

When for a long ride last Sunday 11-9-14 it was about 44 degrees. I used a new pair of mittens that had a built in gloves inside them. Not good. the fingers need to be together. Wind was about 15 miles mph and we rode along the water giving us a windchill of 36 degrees. Fingers got chilly on the way back. my upper body did too a little, didn't realize this until I got indoors. Strange how that is. My new thermo riding pants did a good job. But, should have worn long johns with them to make it better. Right now its 30 degrees and 11 mph winds. Would need better mitts to go out in that! :D
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

I might be done too... 26 right now. Might be time for winter hobby, hope the cost of ammunition is reasonable :)
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Steph »

Load your own. New ammunition is expensive! ;)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Steph wrote:Load your own. New ammunition is expensive! ;)

It's part of the fun really.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

homie wrote:I might be done too... 26 right now. Might be time for winter hobby, hope the cost of ammunition is reasonable :)
Ice on the roads the last two days here. i don't get cold with my heated gear but my 37 mile commute is too fast to ride on ice. But I don't put the bikes away so will still ride whenever there is no ice. I have a 13 yard range in my attic for the air guns.
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/AirForce_ ... c_Red/2244
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

sendler2112 wrote: I have a 13 yard range in my attic for the air guns.
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/AirForce_ ... c_Red/2244
I sold a 8-10 year old Talon Air Force .22cal pellet rifle, scope, tripod, two buttstock tanks, diving lung, regulator and case and still got 500.00. It was a hard hitting accurate rodent repellant that served me very well for years when I had pigeons in the loft. The grain would attract rodents and from the back of my home out this second floor window at 30 yards... them rats had no chance :lol: I got so good with the Talon pneumatic I could splatter pigeon eggs off the back lot fence constantly. A very good urban rifle for sniper training, all basic elemental factors come into play.
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

I sold a red Condor but still have this Custom Stubby Talon. I have .,177, .22, and .25 12" barrels for it. I leave the .177 in most of the time. I upgraded the sear to a Super Sear set at 10 oz. trigger. The stock AF triggers were stinky. 10.34 gr JSB's at about 900 FPS. Hawke Sidewinder 1/2 MD 6.5-20x. Maddog stock.

homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Steph wrote:Got the full face with pin lock and chin curtain. I use a balaclava and a dickie. May have to get a heaver balaclava.
and a bigger dicky?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

SECoda wrote:I sold a red Condor but still have this Custom Stubby Talon. I have .,177, .22, and .25 12" barrels for it. I leave the .177 in most of the time. I upgraded the sear to a Super Sear set at 10 oz. trigger. The stock AF triggers were stinky. 10.34 gr JSB's at about 900 FPS. Hawke Sidewinder 1/2 MD 6.5-20x.

That looks familiar. I had something similar about 15 years ago but it wasn't called a talon I'm sure. It was a takedown with the bottle forming the butt. No stock, just a pistol grip and a forend on a shrouded barrel. Can't for the life of me remember what it was. The receiver/action was identical
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

These have been around for a good while, very accurate and fun. At the time it was the best of the best stateside but there were probably much better elsewhere. Should have kept it but the resale was excellent!
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

They are inexpensive compared to the best European or Russian airguns and inferior quality wise but still very functional for utility use - kind of the ARs of airguns with changing barrels, etc.. Those were my early PCPs. You could vastly improve them with customization but then why not just buy a better one. They have some issues out of the box. The Maddog stock on mine helps limit the aluminum frame flexing and temperature changes to nil.

It is hard to compare that to a nice Russian Edgun Matador but it costs $2k USD before any add-ons like a $500- $1000 scope.
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

My favorite Russian airgun pistol. It is for 17 year locust hunting. :lol: Indoor fun in the winter too! Adjustable match (hair) trigger.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

SECoda wrote:My favorite Russian airgun pistol. It is for 17 year locust hunting. :lol: Indoor fun in the winter too! Adjustable match (hair) trigger.
We should start an airgun thread!

I might dig mine out havent used them in ages

I inherited quite a few recently from my dad nothing special but im cleaning them up atm ill take some pictures whilst im doing it if you want
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Hey I like the pistola... Locust are every 17 years? Seems they just flew a couple years back or was that cicada. What do you have for dragonfly... air shotgun :)
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

you you wrote:We should start an airgun thread! I might dig mine out havent used them in ages
I inherited quite a few recently from my dad nothing special but im cleaning them up atm ill take some pictures whilst im doing it if you want
I would like to see the older air guns from the center of the world please :)
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

Yes - pictures would be great! Dragonflies are fun and much more plentiful every year. Probably belongs in off-topic.

Airguns are just not for guys :o