Rear Wheel noise

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

dem0nk1d
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Rear Wheel noise

Post by dem0nk1d »

I would be talking about the ball bearing #19. It sealed on one sides and open on the inside of the torque driver housing. I take it they start to fail from lack of lubrication.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

So it is among the ones that went bad on our bike. There seem to be more and more of these defective bikes showing up.I don't think we can fault Honda so much as whomever their supplier is. Still, enough of the shops may be asking for Honda's help that they should know that it is a problem.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
vamootsman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by vamootsman »

Dredging up an old thread, At what mileage did all you discover this issue? Also the videos are dead so can't hear what it is to listen for. I'm at 7k miles now.
2013 PCX 150 with,
Givi Tall Screen, and E370 Top Case
NCY Variator and Face Plate, 12 gram rollers
Takagawa Silent Oval Exhaust, K&N R1100 pod filter mod
YSS XL Rear Shock Absorbers Michelin City Grip 120/70 Front 140/70 Rear
2013 Honda CB500X with Rally Raid kit
2005 Piaggio X9 500 Evolution
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1983 Honda Nighthawk S
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Sounds like this...

looks like this...
#8 driven face

https://us.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/556 ... riven-face
vamootsman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by vamootsman »

Thanks Homie! Just like bad/dry Bottom Bracket bearing in a bicycle. Mine are still quiet, and I put some some marine grade bearing grease in there when I changed the belt as it looked pretty dry in there. Hopefully that'll fend off any issues for awhile.
2013 PCX 150 with,
Givi Tall Screen, and E370 Top Case
NCY Variator and Face Plate, 12 gram rollers
Takagawa Silent Oval Exhaust, K&N R1100 pod filter mod
YSS XL Rear Shock Absorbers Michelin City Grip 120/70 Front 140/70 Rear
2013 Honda CB500X with Rally Raid kit
2005 Piaggio X9 500 Evolution
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1983 Honda Nighthawk S
prasannar2009
Year: 2015
Color: Silver

Post by prasannar2009 »

Hello everyone,

This thread was of so much help! I bought a 2015 PCX a few months ago, and since I bought it it had this rear wheel noise, and I thought it was normal! But after coming across this and changing 'part 8' it's completely gone! I can't believe how quiet it is when I'm rolling the scooter out of the garage! Thanks a lot everyone!
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

prasannar2009 wrote:But after coming across this and changing 'part 8' it's completely gone!
Good job! You managed this yourself? Did you pack the grease that came with the assembly or 7 grams of something else. Just curious for the records, no wrong answer here.
prasannar2009

Post by prasannar2009 »

Yes managed to do it myself. Although in my excitement i broke one of the clutch springs (it was totally unnecessary for this job to touch the springs!) So I replaced the springs too.

I used the grease that came with the assembly. And I used this video as a guide: https://youtu.be/hkTkCqSo18E I don't speak Japanese, but the video was anyway very helpful in taking everything apart and putting it back on.

Also, I sanded the clutch pads a bit as you had suggested in your video, Homie. So, in the end I resolved both the bearing noise and also shuddering when the clutch was engaging! Happy days :)
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Holy crap that guy in the video used the grease packet to put 1.7 grams grease under the seal collar on the guide rollers but I didn't see him put the 7.3 grams of grease (the bulk of that packet) on the inner surface between the bearings (these kits don't ship pre-packed with grease) that's why the big packet of grease.

Maybe he says he did it, but if he didn't he's running the bearing pretty much dry or with what little the factory put to keep them from rusting in shipment. Tell me you used the bulk of the grease packet in between the wheel bearings as shown in this picture.
Attachments
grease1.jpg
grease1.jpg (33.86 KiB) Viewed 1321 times
grease2.jpg
grease2.jpg (59.14 KiB) Viewed 1321 times
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

prasannar2009 wrote: And I used this video as a guide: https://youtu.be/hkTkCqSo18E I don't speak Japanese, but the video was anyway very helpful in taking everything apart and putting it back on.
Yep I can't understand what he's saying but as far as I can tell he only dabbed some oil on the bearings with a Q-tip :lol: which isn't a procedure in the service manual. If you're going to fail to put grease on one of the two areas shown in the SM on this assembly you certainly don't want to fail to pack the area between the bearings. The two port holes on the boss will allow grease to work its way into the guides under the collar by centrifugal force but YOU must pack in it there and he didn't. His bearings will fail prematurely again in the not so distant future.

Don't beat yourself up if you didn't get the grease inside the assembly properly. Just get back in there and chalk it up to a learning process. I know you can do it :D
prasannar2009

Post by prasannar2009 »

Thanks Homie! The note that came with mine asked me to apply 15g of grease in the areas. Mine came with in a tube exactly like this:

And the tube contained indeed 15g of grease. I thought that was a bit too much, I I emptied about half of it into those areas. According to your diagram, it might have turned out to be right after all! :D
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

prasannar2009 wrote:Thanks Homie! The note that came with mine asked me to apply 15g of grease in the areas. Mine came with in a tube exactly like this: And the tube contained indeed 15g of grease. I thought that was a bit too much, I I emptied about half of it into those areas. According to your diagram, it might have turned out to be right after all! :D
Good man, you have a natural instinct that serves you well. Pays to read the service manual and not be totally reliant on notes in shipping packages not directly from Honda. Also we've learned not to trust youtube video mechanics that might be adding, omitting information or working dangerously... wait I'm a YT mechanic ;) now I have conundrum.

Yep there's this guy on YT with his PCX running and the belt cover off whilst dangling his hoodie strings all up in it o_O

Anyhow if you put too much grease it will make itself known in the race inside the clutch outer bell. The shoes will get greased, glazed and contaminated. Squealing and odd sounds with performance issues will occur. All is fixable without new parts but one should take care with the amount of grease inside the FACE SET DRIVEN assembly.