Comparison to other scooters

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

jcl

Re: Comparison to other scooters

Post by jcl »

gn2 wrote:On the subject of wind, its just a matter of learning to relax and let the scooter sort itsself out.
The more tense you are the worse the effects of the wind will be.
I've ridden a PCX in strong gusting crosswinds of 50-60mph without incident.
Mel46 wrote:I dont know if you rode a pcx with a windshield or not, but it does make a difference. (I don't count that dash cover as a windshield.)
When it comes to riding scooters there seem to be two types, and the preference in riding positions is yours. There is the flat-feet-in-front-of-you type, and the straddle-the-tank type (like on a motorcycle), leg on each side. Vespa riders seem to prefer the feet-in-front-of-you type. Each has a different feel when it comes to steering. You need to try both ways before choosing your scooter.
The PCX did not have a windshield on it (other than the one it comes with), but I'd likely get one. I did get a chance to ride the SMax again and it did handle wind a little better, but of course it already has the windshield. However, I this time I was able to see that the PCX clearly handled better with turns, especially at lower speeds, it was less cramped, and it was lower and lighter making it easier for me to put my feet down when stopping and when backing it up. Another plus is the the 12v plug. For now I'll wait for the 2019's to get in and check those out since I'm leaning PCX. Hopefully they come in this month.

The other dealer found out that they could order one too. I'm not sure how that works, but since there's multiple dealers around that would do that, do you think there's any room for negotiations?
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

There's not a whole heck of a lot of room for negotiation in the American Honda dealer network. The bike carries around 6% margin, which means that it's usually less than $300-$400 for the dealer. So then they go tacking on a bunch of things like nitrogen in the tires, a documentation fee etc. etc. , those you can negotiate about, but not really too much coming off of the manufacture suggested retail price
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I don't want to get into politics but if there ends up being a tariff war the price may go up, in which case I would suggest choosing the least expensive one.

Remember that the objective is to get you one a scooter. That may mean that you won't get everything that you want immediately. That doesn't mean that you can't add things later...except ABS, which is still only in the front. The back brake is still a drum brake until Honda releases for world wide distribution the other one that has disc brakes all around.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
jcl

Post by jcl »

Mel46 wrote:I don't want to get into politics but if there ends up being a tariff war the price may go up, in which case I would suggest choosing the least expensive one.

Remember that the objective is to get you one a scooter. That may mean that you won't get everything that you want immediately. That doesn't mean that you can't add things later...except ABS, which is still only in the front. The back brake is still a drum brake until Honda releases for world wide distribution the other one that has disc brakes all around.
I don't see that happening. There's not many Honda dealers and of the ones, even less stock the PCX. But you do make a point. I'm considering doing a deposit if this ends being what I decide, so I can make sure I get an ABS one, once they come in.
JustPassinThru
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2011
Color: white

Post by JustPassinThru »

It seems demand for scooters is at some sort of record low.

On CycleTrader, I've seen NOS PCXs in the $2200 range. Now sure the dealer will try all kinds of add-on charges, but he would anyway. From $3200 to $2200 is a deep discount.

I bought my 150, a BETTER scoot, for LESS than I paid for the 125. And I didn't overpay on the 125 - two years ago, that was where prices were. It was priced according to KBB and so were others that were advertised. I bought the 125 from a private party and the 150, less money, from a used-car dealer.

Point being: If a trade-tariff war comes to be, odds are, the price of bikes in demand will go up; and marginal sellers will go away. That means, possibly, the Honda scooter line, the Burgman line (maybe all of Suzuki, which is not well) and the Kimcos will be priced accordingly.

Used prices will only go up if the current young generation suddenly discover scooters.
jcl

Post by jcl »

I ended up putting a deposit on a 2019 PCX with ABS. For anyone looking at the 2019, I was told beginning of August for mine and I heard end of September for new orders. So if you can find a dealer with one already ordered, it'll probably be around that time.

I was hoping for it to come with the new smart key, but the US site doesn't mention it and the dealer didn't know, so my guess is no. But at least it's coming with more power and many other nice features.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Nice one, I'm sure you'll have a ball on it.
Smart key is a solution in search of a problem imo.
Best to keep it simple ;)
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong