Wear your helmets!

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Cube
Office Minion
Office Minion
Year: 2018
Color: Dark Pearl Blue

Re: Wear your helmets!

Post by Cube »

I finally found that thread... on another forum! :(

They had a couple of specific mentions like the HJC CL‑17 and also manufacturers like AFX and ICON.
2018 Dark Pearl Blue PCX150
2007 Cyber Silver Metallic Silver Wing
2014 Glowing Red Forza 300
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Today is Wednesday.

As usual, the old folks were out in force. Social Security checks were in.

I have a handicap tag. So do they.

I pulled into the Walmart parking lot, into the handicap spot closest to the store. There is a striped section after that to designate NO Parking. Before we could get out of our car a car driven by a very old lady parked beside us on the side closest to the store.

Now, there were parking spaces available on the other side of us. Handicap Parking Spaces. Instead, she almost took our right side door and bumper off parking where there were no parking spaces.

You couldn't see her head when she drove up. In fact, I have no idea how she found her way to Walmart! When she got out of her car she must have been 4 foot 7 inches tall, but she drove this huge Lincoln Town car. Don't those seats adjust? I guess she didn't care.

Yep, it's Wednesday.
Last edited by Mel46 on Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Cube wrote:The GF and I both ride in older version of this jacket in warm weather: https://www.amazon.com/Firstgear-Mesh-T ... esh+jacket

No water protection, so we each keep a backpackable rain jacket under the seat and will layer it under the mesh. Also works to add warmth if we stay out too long and it starts getting chilly here in CO.

For a brain bucket, I go Shoei. There was a thread recently discussing less expensive lids - might be worth digging up.
I like the hi viz one of these. Dealer freq. drops price to $99. I bought a second because hi viz was fading. Wear it all summer. Replaced the 5 pads with the better, orange, pads from Revzilla.
Nothing is as cool as an open face helmet, so buy white full face to reduce baking. About the best you can do.
Fish
Lanesplitter
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black

Post by Lanesplitter »

Eiron wrote:In a somewhat-related topic, does anyone have recommendations for a full-face helmet with good airflow that doesn't cost 10% of the price of the PCX? Also, affordable protective clothing? I have an unpadded leather jacket I wear when it's cooler out, but man, it's tough to wear on a sunny 90°-100° day!
I hope your recovery goes quickly. I broke my thumb, dislocated my shoulder and fractured it in two places when car turned into me. Speed was low, but I fell badly. The fractures healed really slowly, everyone said, "you're old." Turned out my Vitamin D levels were low, so I didn't absorb calcium well. Once I fixed that I could literally feel my should getting better. And that was months after the accident. So be sure you've got adequate Vit. D levels.

For jacket at maybe, maybe not, a reasonable price for you: Alpinestars T-GP Plus R v2 Air Jacket. $240. For warmth, wind, and rain protection I wear Frog Toggs from Cycle Gear. $50, flourescent green. Very water proof. Eventually they wear out, though. Not particularly tough, so be careful around sharp objects.

I suffer in the heat for safety's sake. Black leather pants with padding, black heavy duty AlpineStars leather jacket with armor. I live in the Bay Area, so when it's hot inland, I go to the coast to ride.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Lanesplitter wrote:
Eiron wrote:In a somewhat-related topic, does anyone have recommendations for a full-face helmet with good airflow that doesn't cost 10% of the price of the PCX? Also, affordable protective clothing? I have an unpadded leather jacket I wear when it's cooler out, but man, it's tough to wear on a sunny 90°-100° day!
I hope your recovery goes quickly. I broke my thumb, dislocated my shoulder and fractured it in two places when car turned into me. Speed was low, but I fell badly. The fractures healed really slowly, everyone said, "you're old." Turned out my Vitamin D levels were low, so I didn't absorb calcium well. Once I fixed that I could literally feel my should getting better. And that was months after the accident. So be sure you've got adequate Vit. D levels.

For jacket at maybe, maybe not, a reasonable price for you: Alpinestars T-GP Plus R v2 Air Jacket. $240. For warmth, wind, and rain protection I wear Frog Toggs from Cycle Gear. $50, flourescent green. Very water proof. Eventually they wear out, though. Not particularly tough, so be careful around sharp objects.

I suffer in the heat for safety's sake. Black leather pants with padding, black heavy duty AlpineStars leather jacket with armor. I live in the Bay Area, so when it's hot inland, I go to the coast to ride.
And on that black scooter!
I hope you wear a neon vest?!~
Fish
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

This is the jacket I have. It comes with multiple removable layers, including a rain jacket layer. In the summer I remove all of the layers and ride with the mesh jacket. It saved me when I had my accident, and I was able to walk away from it with just bruises.

https://www.btosports.com/p/TOUR-MASTER ... TYQAvD_BwE

I have the hi-viz version.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

I do not own this mesh hi-viz jacket by Bilt. It's price has been reduced making it very affordable - $120
(from $180). Has removable liner, CE approved elbow and shoulder protection, and memory foam back panel. Read the 200+ reviews.
All Sizes from SM to 5XL appear available:

https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/bilt-tec ... viz-jacket

My advice: You should consider Better back armor protection for this jacket. Something here for example:
https://www.cyclegear.com/search?_utf8= ... mit=Search

Many Back Protector's to choose from. Do Check the measurements for fitment.
Some you can trim yourself. Just use the jackets memory foam back pad as a template. Trace it, trim and fit one in the pocket! Take your time, get it right and you'll be set to go!

(From Revzilla, I've purchased Sas-tec back protection for 2 of my jackets. I traced, trimmed and fitted in back pocket. Sooo simples ;)

The weather is getting better, Everybody's on the road - be Careful - be Seen and ENJOY! 8)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

WAIT! a Cyclegear Store might be near you! Woot! Check here for their locations:
https://www.cyclegear.com/stores
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Mel46 wrote:This is the jacket I have. It comes with multiple removable layers, including a rain jacket layer. In the summer I remove all of the layers and ride with the mesh jacket. It saved me when I had my accident, and I was able to walk away from it with just bruises.

https://www.btosports.com/p/TOUR-MASTER ... TYQAvD_BwE

I have the hi-viz version.
Looks like a good jacket Mel. But I wantrd more hi viz, so went wth the First Gear mextex hi viz. 100% hi viz, and effective reflective strips all over.
On my second one. Like it.
Fish
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Eiron and Lanesplitter, very sorry to read about your accidents. Heal well, that means....give it time.
Sometimes we jump back in the saddle too soon, just sayin'
LIGHTBULB!! GO GEAR SHOPPING, THAT'S FUN (and can be dangerous too = $$$$) :lol:
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Mel's jacket in hi-viz is sold out everywhere. Black remains available at a discount and not in all sizes.
I too have been wearing a Firstgear Mesh Tex Hi-Viz jacket. I have thinner arms and the sleeves are a bit roomy on me. I would appreciate adjustable fasteners. Not on this jacket. I may look into buying another brand with adjusters. I hate jiggly roaming armor.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I bought my jacket straight from the motorcycle shop that I bought my bike from. I had been looking for it online as well, so I was surprised that they had it...and they price matched, so I got it for $200 including tax.

My wife has the women's version. She was able to buy hers online. They was a fluke. No one ever seems to be able to keep them in stock. They sent her a notice when it came in and she bought it.

Here is one on eBay for around $63 total.
https://www.ebay.com/i/292586349676?chn ... 7afff9e0ae
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

My T-shirt seems to do the job.
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

Until it needs to do a job.

Feces occurs, as they say.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

The current world population is over 7.6 billion. That is a lot of competition for space on the roads. Wow. . .and it's only going to increase. :geek:

Eventually more mass transit will be necessary. Sounds like there could be a future in rail again. More buses for local traffic? :roll:

And here we are on motorcycles and motor scooters riding in the midst of it all. These are interesting times. . .. :?

When that fickle finger of fate points in your direction it knows no bounds. . .be careful out there! 8)

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I took my bike out yesterday and found that the traffic is getting worse.

As of July 1st the new law comes into effect which makes it against the law to have a phone in your hands while driving. I think the state has finally reached the point where they are fed up with all those accidents caused by drivers more interested in their phones than the roads.

In any case, yesterday it looked to me like the drivers were rushing to get as much phone time in on the road as they could before July 1st. Almost every driver had the phone up to their ear or in front of them, and no one was staying within the lines on the road. In fact, when my wife and I went out later on in our car we were almost sideswiped multiple times, and at least one driver hit the curb on the center median while on his phone. Yep, real fun for those on a bike.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote:I took my bike out yesterday and found that the traffic is getting worse.

As of July 1st the new law comes into effect which makes it against the law to have a phone in your hands while driving. I think the state has finally reached the point where they are fed up with all those accidents caused by drivers more interested in their phones than the roads.

In any case, yesterday it looked to me like the drivers were rushing to get as much phone time in on the road as they could before July 1st. Almost every driver had the phone up to their ear or in front of them, and no one was staying within the lines on the road. In fact, when my wife and I went out later on in our car we were almost sideswiped multiple times, and at least one driver hit the curb on the center median while on his phone. Yep, real fun for those on a bike.

You are becoming a grumpy old man :lol:
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

A simple device that prevents phone usage in new cars would solve all this. Give it a special one-time pass if you're in the trunk, being kidnapped.
County workers here in Ohio are prohibited from using phones while driving. (I did SO love to ignore my boss's incoming calls. LOVED it! - he was barely holding on to his position, so everything was a critical friggin emergency. I used to look at my phone there on the seat - and say, "Get off you fat dead butt and go check it yourself, I'm working here!" 'Course never keyed the mic.)

Fish
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

fish wrote:A simple device that prevents phone usage in new cars would solve all this.
Hereabouts some manufacturers have different ideas...

Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I guess I really am becoming a grumpy old man, but to me people who text while driving are a danger to everyone around them, but they don't seem to care. There is no excuse for not keeping yours eyes on the traffic instead of on the phone. If someone needs to contact you, they can call. Hands-free devices are everywhere, and most cars have Bluetooth installed already. If you absolutely need to read a text, pull over or wait until you are at a light. Just don't carry on a conversation using text messaging while driving.

I have almost been run off of the road multiple times while out riding, and each time it was because the driver was texting. Do you think that driver would stop if they did run me off of they road?? They probably wouldn't even notice.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150