What do you think of white seat on White PCX

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

pattomike
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2017
Color: white

Re: What do you think of white seat on White PCX

Post by pattomike »

Smaug wrote:It looks terrible. Doesn't match the paint. Contrasting black looks better.

Listen to homie here.
Thanks, Smaug. Hey does this forum give you the ability to click on a "thanks" button or something? I would rather have a thanks button instead of writing a post just to say thanks.
pattomike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pattomike »

fish wrote:This is what I started with - handsome seat.

As you can see I rebuilt over the original foam, using harder rebond foam in places, softer blue foam over-all. Filled the nasty dip which had a hard plastic mound just behind it in the seat pan.

Several owners of this otherwise good scooter have rebuilt their seats - a fellow in Sweden recovered his in white, on his white scooter. Looks classy. (he has a thing for white - a photo shows him loading his double white scooter into a white VW bus)

That fancy aftermarket PCX seat looks like a Tijuana special - but apparently is no more comfortable than the stock seat?
Best of luck with your scooter.
fish
Thanks for the images. That's a fine looking scooter. My PCX has a hard plastic mound behind the driver's sitting area, too. That's why I think I need a whole new seat. You did a nice job with the molding. If you saw my seat-job, you would laugh. There was no molding involved. Which brings me to a question: what type of tool did you use to mold it? Could you give me the tool name, and the type of wheel or whatever it is your attached to your tool? Thanks. Shut up, you you.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

pattomike wrote:
Smaug wrote:It looks terrible. Doesn't match the paint. Contrasting black looks better.

Listen to homie here.
Thanks, Smaug. Hey does this forum give you the ability to click on a "thanks" button or something? I would rather have a thanks button instead of writing a post just to say thanks.

I agree about the thanks button.

(Are you going to make one?)
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

pattomike wrote:Hey does this forum give you the ability to click on a "thanks" button or something?
Nope. It is something that has been resisted by our forum owner (maddiedog) in an attempt to promote more interaction with one another. And i have to admit, this is one of three scooter blogs I participate on and it has the most posts per member ratio.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Pattomike,
I bought a cheap electric knife to cut and trim the foam, and used a belt sander with coarse belt to lightly shape. Others put a coarse disk in a drill. I widened the shoulders and concaved the center a fraction for less tipping feeling, side to side. Keep the nose up so you don't tip forward on stops.
Put a trash bag on it and test ride until you perfect the shape. Don't cover till you love it.

Please watch youtubes for this to get tips.
Also, please insure that you are working with genuine purpose made seating foam (website).... These supplies are not expensive...and you can perhaps then spend remaining funds to have a pro stitch you up a Vespa quality cover in color of your choice.
Also, I worked on an ebay purchased seat from a wreck...so no worries about screwing it up. (Stock seat is in the closet)
One final...sanding foam creates quite a mess....it flies everywhere.
Original seat cut rides to 40 mins max.....now I ride and never think about the seat. I can no longer feel that seat pan ridge.
Questions?
I'm no whizz at this stuff...just have to stay with it. Don't glue down your new construction over orig. foam until you like the total feel.
Good luck, Fish
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Homie, nice seat. My wife's bike has one similar to that. In fact, Maddiedog had one similar but his was really, really comfy. Someone in Thailand sent it to him as a gift. Then he sold his little rocket, bought a V-Strom, sold it, and now has another 2011. He will have to find another seat as nice as the one that he originally had, now.
They are very comfortable seats, though a little close to the handlebars for me. I wonder if the brace could be moved back on that one like they did on my special order seat from mp.motors.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
pattomike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pattomike »

[quote="fish"]Pattomike,
I bought a cheap electric knife to cut and trim the foam, and used a belt sander with coarse belt to lightly shape. Others put a coarse disk in a drill.

Please watch youtubes for this to get tips.

Also, please insure that you are working with genuine purpose made seating foam (website).... These supplies are not expensive....

I have a couple of questions,

Fish. What do you mean "genuine purpose made seating foam (website)...."?

Did you get your rebond at a home improvement store?

Is an electric knife a culinary item? I asked Harbor Freight if they had one, and she said she didn't think so.

What do you think about an "angle grinder"? I have no grinding tools. So I have to buy one. I do have a drill, however. I see wheels that have metal bristles on them which attach to drills. Is this what you are referring to? I don't quite understand the accessories that an angle grinder uses.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

pattomike wrote: I bought a cheap electric knife to cut and trim the foam.

Is an electric knife a culinary item? I asked Harbor Freight if they had one, and she said she didn't think so.

Warning signs are clearly showing...
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

you you wrote:
pattomike wrote: I bought a cheap electric knife to cut and trim the foam.
Warning signs are clearly showing.
Oh no! soon there will only be the plastic base and a 'how does it look with just the base? post' :lol: My offer has expired as I found a 2015/16/17 PCX OEM stock saddle in RED 8) Looks like the LED seats are finally making it to the US distributors... and Honda makes a red one.... WOOT!
pattomike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pattomike »

I found black and white bandana fabric at Walmart. I think I will put that on my seat once I get the seating right. It will look nice on the white scooter.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Www.foambymail.com
under do it yourself heading
Under supplies
under foam sheets
see and read types you will want ( I used deluxe blue over rebond in many areas - all glued over orig. seat foam)
Electric knife from walmart...for carving turkey, etc.
Do not use wire grinding thing on foam, use flat surface edge of a sanding disc stuck on round attachment stuck in your drill. Easy does it...
once removed, can't put foam back on.

Regarding cover material : fabrics will let water in = mildew/rot.
Scoot seats are covered with waterproof vinyl. " Sailrite Allsport 4 way stretch vinyl" makes colors and smooth or grippy finish. If you like to slide around on seat ? Not ideal, I used the grainy vinyl.
Sailrite has youtube of covering motorcycle seat.

Fish
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

PS: There are many, many youtube videos regarding doing motorcycle seats, cutting foam with electric knife, using grinder wheels to shape foam, gluing, recovering, stapling, etc. (use stainless steel staples)
These guys will show you more than I can explain.
Fish
brightlime
Year: 2018
Color: Pearl White

Post by brightlime »

Are there any websites in the USA that I can reference for an after market seat? I'm 6'1 and would like the hump gone or moved back some. Thanks from Philly PA
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

brightlime wrote:Are there any websites in the USA that I can reference for an after market seat? I'm 6'1 and would like the hump gone or moved back some. Thanks from Philly PA
None that I know of.
I climbed on a PCX at the multi-brand dealer, then got right back off.
Scoot is made for the smaller Asian frame. Bought a different scooter.
Fish
pattomike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pattomike »

fish wrote:http://Www.foambymail.com
under do it yourself heading
Under supplies
under foam sheets
see and read types you will want ( I used deluxe blue over rebond in many areas - all glued over orig. seat foam)
Electric knife from walmart...for carving turkey, etc.
Do not use wire grinding thing on foam, use flat surface edge of a sanding disc stuck on round attachment stuck in your drill. Easy does it...
once removed, can't put foam back on.

Regarding cover material : fabrics will let water in = mildew/rot.
Scoot seats are covered with waterproof vinyl. " Sailrite Allsport 4 way stretch vinyl" makes colors and smooth or grippy finish. If you like to slide around on seat ? Not ideal, I used the grainy vinyl.
Sailrite has youtube of covering motorcycle seat.

Fish
Thank you, sir. Very helpful, info. I can't wait to work on my seat again. It gives me something to do. I am enjoying learning about upholstery and seat modification, etc. I was thinking today while at work (I am a trucker) about putting snaps under the seat, and then snaps on the cover. This way I can easily take the cover off. Keep in mind this was only a passing thought. I am not looking forward to stapling my new vinyl on. I have an electric stapler, and the crevice along the side of the seat is too narrow to get the nose of my staple gun in there. I may have to take it to a pro shop for the cover. I have already watched some youtube videos but haven't found anything particularly good yet for seat modification. Lots of seat covering videos, though.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

pattomike wrote:I took off my modified seat. The duct tape that I was using to keep the cover temporarily in-place while I experimented with the new foam has finally starting to close loose after 5 days and 100 degree temps. So I took it off, and now I am down to my white stock-foam seat. I am not going to modify it again. I am just going to get accustomed to the stock seat. I may put a little bit of padding in the seating area but not more than an inch.
I kind of like the white seat look. What do you think? I could buy some white fabric and put it over the stock foam, and be big pimpin. Seriously, do you like the look? Do you think it gives it a unique, classy touch?
To be really honest ...

If it matched the pearl white then I'd give it 2 thumbs up ... but what you have it more what I'd call "cream" than "white" and it just looks like too much of a mis-match for me.
pattomike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pattomike »

TheMaverick wrote:
pattomike wrote:I took off my modified seat. The duct tape that I was using to keep the cover temporarily in-place while I experimented with the new foam has finally starting to close loose after 5 days and 100 degree temps. So I took it off, and now I am down to my white stock-foam seat. I am not going to modify it again. I am just going to get accustomed to the stock seat. I may put a little bit of padding in the seating area but not more than an inch.
I kind of like the white seat look. What do you think? I could buy some white fabric and put it over the stock foam, and be big pimpin. Seriously, do you like the look? Do you think it gives it a unique, classy touch?
To be really honest ...

If it matched the pearl white then I'd give it 2 thumbs up ... but what you have it more what I'd call "cream" than "white" and it just looks like too much of a mis-match for me.
Thanks, I agree. The cream colored foam does not look particularly good. But a seat matching the pearl white would be quite stunning.