Rear wheel noise - URGENT!!

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Re: Rear wheel noise - URGENT!!

Post by iceman »

douce wrote:
Decco-Pcx-125 wrote:This is a video of the noise related to this problem
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cqd4b1_ApZA
That is the sound of a dry gearbox. have you checked (changed the gear oil?)
Yep, I changed the final drive oil about a year ago. Mine sounds very similar (I'll try and remember to take a video) - not sure if it's the part with the two bushes that has failed or something else as that part of the bike has not been cleaned in 2 years - maybe dirt has got in where is shouldn't.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-NEW-PCX ... 1794567803
£75 delivered from UK rather than £110 + shipping.
If I understand this correctly, this part (part 8) forms part of the clutch assembly and bits of this (bearings) are what usually cause the grief due to Honda not greasing them enough or having faulty parts. Remove the clutch, this part slips our and replace :)
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: `12,`15,`19
Color: black&black

Post by Oyabun »

I don't want ro rain on your parade, but I've yet to see a dry gearbox on a PCX.
However as others said above it is rather sounding like bad clutch bearing issue which us typical to the PCX.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I doubt that anyone has gotten Honda to admit to the problem, but the mechanics know about it. It is interesting to go to a shop that services the PCX and listen to the mechanics talk about the problems various bikes have. So far on the PCX though, this seems to be the only major problem it has. When you are talking about a 30% failure rate world wide though, that is a lot of money, and Honda does not want to lose money. Imagine what they have been going through with the recall on their tailbox platform piece, knowing that many owners bought Givi or Shad instead. Now figure out what they would lose if the part was the driven face assembly. Big difference. No, they would rather let the owners deal with the issue.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

I just uploaded a short video of my suspect rear bearing failure - https://youtu.be/mwTV35bQgDw
Can someone confirm if they believe this is a bearing issue sorted by part(s) '8' of the clutch assembly or something else? Possibly just dust and no grease?
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

iceman wrote:I just uploaded a short video of my suspect rear bearing failure - https://youtu.be/mwTV35bQgDw
OMG! was your bike in a fire? Can we see the rest of it please. Hands down I swear that's filthy. Where, how... WHAT THE HELL MAN!

that dosent sound or spin as free as mine so maybe
Attachments
crazys.jpg
crazys.jpg (14.95 KiB) Viewed 1776 times
Last edited by homie on Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

No, not Whitenoise standard :) - normal conditions for riding in UK weathers - sun some days, rain and grime the next - the roads do not get cleaned anymore and they are filthy - if you clean your bike it will be dirty in a month after it rains, even in summer and winter is far worse. I clean the plastics and top half and wipe some of the engine area but most of the lower half and rims have not had a wash (which I may soon have a go at).

So, bearing issue or perhaps grime got in and is causing the noise issue? The bike rides fine and I am getting tremendous mpg (just had near 144mpg real!) so just need to clean and perhaps replace the bearing - assuming that is the cause.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

I don't know how you Brits go out there in the war zone as it is... plus deal with rain o_O
Hats off to the better rider, I bow to the masters. Here is the sound of healthy bearings if it helps. I don't think you have the issue... YET!

iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Thanks Homie! At last a good comparison to check things are ok, which seems to be the case. I'm not sure if it's all this talk about bad bearings and this 'noise' that got me worried. When I wheel the bike forward or backward I hear that noise but thought the bike was fairly silent doing that from new? Do they all age this way, even when kept clean :) - or does it mean they are on their way out but not quite gone?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Homie, that was the sound of a healthy bearing?? Mine is just a bit quieter than that. It still makes a sound, but it is a quieter grind, like bearings normally sound. It doesn't sound like sand and gravel in the bearings, like Iceman's. Now Iceman's... well that is a different sound, sort of like bearings going bad or grit in the grease, or sand in the mix. In other words, it doesn't sound healthy. It is hard to say whether it is the clutch bearing or just the swingarm bearing.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Mel46 wrote:Homie, that was the sound of a healthy bearing?? Mine is just a bit quieter than that. It still makes a sound, but it is a quieter grind, like bearings normally sound. It doesn't sound like sand and gravel in the bearings, like Iceman's. Now Iceman's... well that is a different sound, sort of like bearings going bad or grit in the grease, or sand in the mix. In other words, it doesn't sound healthy. It is hard to say whether it is the clutch bearing or just the swingarm bearing.
Not in a position to take things apart yet, and always wondered why it's just part '8' that goes rather than any other bearings/rolling surfaces. If the clutch is removed as a whole, I believe that includes part '8' so if the rear wheel is then turned, the noise should not be there with the clutch out? Sorry, confused with mechanical bits and pieces :)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I am going t9 go out on a limb here and say that because the clutch bearing has been the main problem in the past, it probably is now as well.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Mel'ster you'll have to put up your own comparison wheel spin video before I think there is anything a miss. Mine has sounded like that since purchase and you know me... I'm a stickler for detail :)
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Two more YT rear bearing comparisons (may have been posted before)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDuCIJax9kk < apparently normal! (sounds like the one I posted) but still surprised this is ok - so, on the way out?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewKCpt9Z9u4 < definitely not good!
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

I will switch that public video to unlisted so as not to spread contentment on youtube with that bearing sound. Going in to have a look at the rear wheel bearing myself with my 5k vario inspection already planned before posting that sound as normal again.

Ordered the entire 'FACE SET, DRIVEN' from Bike Bandit just in case I see the issue.
BTW just got a "back order status - possibly unavailable" reply from Bike Bandit so it might be a while.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

It seems to be available in the UK for £79 delivered as I posted above, but it appears Partzilla list the set inc shipping to the UK for less than £50
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-23205-K ... xydB1Sj-U8
If that is the correct part(s).
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Ok here is Bike Bandits policy for back orders;

They don't keep record of how long they have been trying to get any Honda part. (fail)
If they don't fill your order in 25 days you fall off the waiting list altogether (cancelled) you go to back of the line.

If you're on back order with Bike Bandit you must be sure to maintain your status, they won't contact you.
Mel, I'm going to try Partzilla for availability.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

[quote="homie"]Ok here is Bike Bandits policy for back orders;

They don't keep record of how long they have been trying to get any Honda part. (fail)
If they don't fill your order in 25 days you fall off the waiting list altogether (cancelled) you go to back of the line.
If you're on back order with Bike Bandit you must be sure to maintain your status, they won't contact you.

Mel, just took the last one from partszilla even though its for older model PCX's thanks. Sell it to one of you guys if it don't fit up :D
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

To follow up partszilla is also on backorder for 2015-17 PCX150 'Face Set, Driven' #23205-K35-V00

There we have it... no new kits from both vendors, one old 2011-13 kit which I bought for the bearing, so none left o_O
We are sucking in the states as usual :lol: