Looking at getting a Forza!

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Looking at getting a Forza!

Post by gn2 »

You can fit a bottle of champagne in the lockable compartment, so no bother getting large gloves in.
There is a shelf in there for phones to sit in while charging, which just lifts out to give more room.
The unlockable right side pocket is too small for proper bike gloves.
Transmission is class leading, utterly smooth.
Handling is far better than it has any right to be, on a par with my old Ducati Pantah.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

Since I having been switching back and forth between my PCX and Forza on all of the types of riding I do I was going to do a little comparison thread but then I decided it might not be appreciated by some. :(

I want the PCX for hauling it camping and the Forza is a bit too heavy to mess with on my carrier but generally the Forza out classes the PCX in most categories except mileage. The small difference in cost makes it a very viable alternative. With the low CG I find even maneuvering the heavier Forza around by hand in my garage very easy.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

SECoda wrote:Since I having been switching back and forth between my PCX and Forza on all of the types of riding I do I was going to do a little comparison thread but then I decided it might not be appreciated by some.
Fuckem.
You write it, sounds interesting.
Because you switch back and fore twixt the two you will have a better impression of the differences.
When I got the Forza I remember thinking it was miles better, but having not ridden a PCX for about 16 months or so now I can't really remember what it was actually like.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

I will post a thread soon based on a few requests. ;)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

SECoda wrote:I will post a thread soon based on a few requests. ;)

Go on then :D

There both probably teenweeny scooters though....
speedandstyle
Regular User
Regular User

Post by speedandstyle »

gn2 wrote:You can fit a bottle of champagne in the lockable compartment, so no bother getting large gloves in.
There is a shelf in there for phones to sit in while charging, which just lifts out to give more room.
The unlockable right side pocket is too small for proper bike gloves.
I was asking about the right side box, that is the box I would use for gloves! Keep in mind I do not wear armored gloves. I wear leather and mesh for spring/summer/early fall and leather with insulation for late fall/winter. The summer ones I am sure will fit, I was just not sure about the insulated winter gloves. Of coarse I can squeeze them into the small side box on my Burgman so maybe they will fit - I hope.
speedandstyle
Regular User
Regular User

Post by speedandstyle »

Never got definitive answers on a couple of my questions plus I have a few more.

#1 How do you guys like the combined brakes? My Burg has them too but I am not real impressed. Of coarse Honda may have done a better job with their design.

#1b Does the front brake engage all the time or only once you pull the lever past a certain point? On my Burg the front is activated once you pull it hard but if you pull lightly it doesn't. Rear only braking is very handy in parking lots!

#2 How do you like the floor rubber panels? There does not seem to be much tread to them.

#3 What kind of fuel economy are you guys getting? Less than 60MPG? More than 60MPG? Did the MPG drop in the winter and if so by how much?

#4 How does it handle crosswinds? My Burg is a beast in a heavy crosswind.

Thanks
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

speedandstyle wrote:Never got definitive answers on a couple of my questions plus I have a few more.

#1 How do you guys like the combined brakes? My Burg has them too but I am not real impressed. Of coarse Honda may have done a better job with their design.

#1b Does the front brake engage all the time or only once you pull the lever past a certain point? On my Burg the front is activated once you pull it hard but if you pull lightly it doesn't. Rear only braking is very handy in parking lots!

#2 How do you like the floor rubber panels? There does not seem to be much tread to them.

#3 What kind of fuel economy are you guys getting? Less than 60MPG? More than 60MPG? Did the MPG drop in the winter and if so by how much?

#4 How does it handle crosswinds? My Burg is a beast in a heavy crosswind.

Thanks
#1 Combo brakes with ABS on the Forza are simply superb.

#1b When using the left brake lever the rear caliper activates first then the front activates after a delay.
When using a bit of left lever I have not been conscious of the front activating or not.
Remember that with ABS you simply cannot lock either wheel.
Get ABS.
Don't even think about doing without.

#2 They work perfectly.

#3 http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/ ... /fuelchart

http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/ ... gn2/234829

#4 I've ridden it in crosswinds 30mph gusting 45mph.
Ridden sensibly it handles them just fine.
speedandstyle
Regular User
Regular User

Post by speedandstyle »

Thanks for your reply especially the MPG data! Any reason for the wild range? Highway trips? I see it dropped to 57.5 at one point, do you know why? Your average of 64 sounds a lot better than the 51 I am currently getting on my Burgman. In the summer I was getting just shy of 60 but it dropped once the weather got cool.

Follow up question - what kind of range are you getting out of a tankful?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

The variation is down to weather and throttle opening.
If there's a spell of consistent strong headwinds the consumption drops.
The lowest recorded figure was during a windy spell when I was trying to see how low I could get it.
The highest was during a still air spell when I was trying to see how high I could get it.
(both of these were three day averages)
I've had it over 100mpg/83USmpg but only for a single journey of 18 miles home from the petrol station.
I do the same journey which is the commute to and from work, 28 miles each way, most of it on 60mph and 70mph limit A-roads with around six miles of it in 30mph limit town traffic.
Apart from that commute less than 200 miles (total) has been other journeys.
I mostly sit around 62-65mph which keeps me going faster than the trucks, better to be passing them than have them pass you imo.
I normally fill up every third work day around 170-ish miles at which point there's still a good 20-ish miles left in the tank.
The economy meter combined with trip meter gives a very accurate indication of how far you can go.
Fuel gauge is merely decorative.

Before switching to a Forza its essential that you try it out for size.
Not everyone fits, some find it cramped particularly in the legroom area.
There is less space for your femur between the bodywork and seat hump than on a PCX.
Its definitely smaller than a Burgman 400
speedandstyle
Regular User
Regular User

Post by speedandstyle »

gn2 wrote: The economy meter combined with trip meter gives a very accurate indication of how far you can go.
Fuel gauge is merely decorative.
I know that one! My Burgman is the same way, the only time it is truthful about how much gas is right after filling the tank to the rim, it reads full! The range is almost identical to my Burgman which has a slightly bigger tank but uses more fuel. I put gas in about every 8 days if I go all the way to empty.