Michelin tire installed, bench & review

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Re: Michelin tire installed, bench & review

Post by dasshreddar »

Hello :? remove the center stand :lol:

My 140 gives me an extra 4mph everywhere... so not so sure about your findings? tire pumped up? 30 ish psi.

Glad you like the handling so far... for me the "ride" quality outweighs the "accel/weight negatives".

thinking of a 90 front and a 140 rear... :o now that is just weird.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

dasshreddar wrote:Hello :? remove the center stand :lol:
My 140 gives me an extra 4mph everywhere... so not so sure about your findings? tire pumped up? 30 ish psi.
Glad you like the handling so far... for me the "ride" quality outweighs the "accel/weight negatives".
thinking of a 90 front and a 140 rear... :o now that is just weird.
I respectfully disagree with the 4mph increase DS and I really wanted to see that. The difference between GPS recording and speedometer after tires was only 2mph. Michelins are holding the pressure indicated on the tires themselves... 33psi front - 41psi rear. Perhaps we are documenting 2015 models and things are a changing. The added speed throughout all range was clearly NOT 4mph and both GPS and speedo were in sync prior to new tires. I will wait for someone to confirm.
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dasshreddar »

so you gained 2mph everywhere? if so not too bad I guess the Pirellis are taller than the Michelins...
Try this test with your max speed on the gps,... go cruise at 20mph (speedo indicated, don't go over the 20 line) and see what your max speed gps is (mine 24mph).
Try again across the board 30 40 50 60 etc...(mine each time 34 44 54 64 etc gps).

Oh and my tires are usually at 30 psi front 32 psi rear.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

If speed differences are caused by a bigger tire circumference, the differences should be a percentage. Not "4mph everywhere". If the tire circumference is 10% bigger, the speedo error should be 33 mph at 30, 44 mph at 40, 55 mph at 50, and, 66 mph at 60.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Well lets not quibble over the speedometer any longer (its not accurate) only GPS matters if you've increased tire sizes of any brand. All future benches will be ran using GPS travel speeds only. If the new variator parts push me back to or over 64-65mph on the 2015 I will be satisfied and seek no further upgrades and consider it a wash. I don't want to start throwing things overboard. All in all it's fun to tinker with the scoot and filling up the wheel wells looks pretty darn good! I can get used to that if I'm not the slowest PCX on the road LOL
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dasshreddar »

sendler2112 wrote:If speed differences are caused by a bigger tire circumference, the differences should be a percentage. Not "4mph everywhere". If the tire circumference is 10% bigger, the speedo error should be 33 mph at 30, 44 mph at 40, 55 mph at 50, and, 66 mph at 60.
Sendler this is where you are wrong... unless my GPS is liar o_O
The tire is only one circumference... it does not grow in size as speed increases. I'm sure some one has a formula out there for this.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

more distance travelled per rev with bigger tyres
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

dasshreddar wrote:The tire is only one circumference
Exactly. If the new tire is 10% bigger in circumference than the old one, it is more or less always 10% bigger in circumference. So your speedo error will always be 10%.
You wouldn't expect the speedo to say 0 when the gps says 4 mph would you?
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

NO chicken or the egg, hurting my brain... it doesn't matter for the purpose of this topic.

Chief say if put big tire speedo no good no more.
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by DAB »

sendler2112 wrote:If speed differences are caused by a bigger tire circumference, the differences should be a percentage. Not "4mph everywhere". If the tire circumference is 10% bigger, the speedo error should be 33 mph at 30, 44 mph at 40, 55 mph at 50, and, 66 mph at 60.
Correct.
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
Reaper
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Reaper »

Does this extra profile of 140/70/R14 adds comfort? How is the cornering now?
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Reaper wrote:Does this extra profile of 140/70/R14 adds comfort? How is the cornering now?
Comfort; maybe you should look into shocks for added comfort, the recommended tire inflation on the 140/70 rear is 41lbs. This feels just as solid as the stock 100/90-14 did. I might soften it up a little by dropping air pressure but not now during my benchmarks and performance upgrades.

Cornering; stable, satisfying, like the difference between your old 10 speed bicycle and a beach cruiser :D
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

Reaper wrote:140/70/R14 adds comfort?
Even if it did, the radical loss of acceleration due to the increased rotational mass is not worth it.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

sendler2112 wrote:
Reaper wrote:140/70/R14 adds comfort?
Even if it did, the radical loss of acceleration due to the increased rotational mass is not worth it.
I don't think we can say "radical loss of acceleration" given the benchmarks in this thread. 0-60 was only down 3 seconds after big rubber. For less than 20 bucks in rollers that will be recovered and then some 8) If people want to fill the wheel wells with more proportionate sized wheels to the PCX, be prepared to swap out the 16gram rollers for lighter ones and just ENJOY the look!
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

Homie, a 15% slower 0-60 time is significant. And it is due to the rotational mass. If you change to 12 or 13g rollers, you will get some back. If you swapped back to OE tire size, you'd gain back even more.

So what do you want? The fat chick with the pretty face or the skinny girl with the awesome body? =P
2015 PCX 150 (White)[/color]
Top speed 76mph(2015) 79mph (2013)with NCY variator & Drive Face
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

ScooterMan wrote:So what do you want? The fat chick with the pretty face or the skinny girl with the awesome body? =P
I will definitely keep my fat tires, C-stand, the battery... piston :lol: you will always out run me Scooterman but I will make this look GOOD!

Can't wait to log in the difference in weights and pulley's next week... BIG FUN!
I will be objective but quick to debunk if not impressed. All can be put back to stock in a heartbeat but at least I will have tried... I will have done that!
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

I actually put a skinnier tire on my sportbike (the one in my avatar). Went from a 180 to a 160 (lightest I could find) and got 4+ lbs off the rear. Went lighter up front too. Noticeable difference in accel and bike also wheelied easier even with the new tire of same circumference.

But go ahead and keep your "fatties" and like sendler said, ship me you old IRC's. I'll be glad to give them a new "forever home." =P
2015 PCX 150 (White)[/color]
Top speed 76mph(2015) 79mph (2013)with NCY variator & Drive Face
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

homie wrote: For less than 20 bucks in rollers that will be recovered and then some
The difference of a lighter set of sliders, a drilled exhaust, and removing the snorkel will be less than one second 0-50. With the stock tires. It might help some to get the gearing back down the additional 10% to pull at 8,000 rpm but I think the heavy tires will still be much slower in acceleration than the light tires.
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dasshreddar »

homie wrote:
Reaper wrote:Does this extra profile of 140/70/R14 adds comfort? How is the cornering now?
Comfort; maybe you should look into shocks for added comfort, the recommended tire inflation on the 140/70 rear is 41lbs. This feels just as solid as the stock 100/90-14 did. I might soften it up a little by dropping air pressure but not now during my benchmarks and performance upgrades.

Cornering; stable, satisfying, like the difference between your old 10 speed bicycle and a beach cruiser :D
41lbs o_O air it down man... I'm sure that 41lbs is recommended for a fat Burgman ;)
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

dasshreddar wrote:
homie wrote:
Comfort; maybe you should look into shocks for added comfort, the recommended tire inflation on the 140/70 rear is 41lbs. This feels just as solid as the stock 100/90-14 did. Cornering; stable, satisfying, like the difference between your old 10 speed bicycle and a beach cruiser :D
41lbs o_O air it down man... I'm sure that 41lbs is recommended for a fat Burgman ;)
I am listening DS... taking the tire pressure down 6 lbs front and rear to compensate for the intended Burgman scooter weight vs Honda PCX.

But jacking the variator up ;) what do we try first? 12 or 13gm

some may not view this, youtube banned my video in some countries... no idea why