What makes the PCX so special?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: What makes the PCX so special?

Post by gn2 »

RobV wrote:I believe the Lambretta's engine is a two valve fuel injected engine designed by Honda built by SYM. (same as in the SYM LeGrande) so not that different to the PCX. PCX is liquid cooled though.
Designed by Honda when exactly?
Liquid cooling is a massive difference.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

vito wrote:over the last 35 years I have had Hondas, Triumphs, Kawasakis and without a doubt the Hondas were the most reliable.
Honda is the least reliable brand of motorcycle I've owned and the list includes Ducati and MZ.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:
vito wrote:over the last 35 years I have had Hondas, Triumphs, Kawasakis and without a doubt the Hondas were the most reliable.
Honda is the least reliable brand of motorcycle I've owned and the list includes Ducati and MZ.

Exactly the opposite experience with Ducati’s for me. Manky things.

I’d try an MZ or even a CZ. Used to laugh at them when I was younger but now they seem to have a certain charm. Being two stroke helps
vito
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: silver

Post by vito »

I have never before encountered a rider that felt that Honda was "the least reliable" brand. I've had several Hondas over the years that I had owned for years and years and literally had nothing ever to repair. Just oil changes, tires, etc. and other routine maintenance. This is why I have never waster money on extended warranty coverage. I loved my Triumphs especially, but had numerous issues with both the bikes I bought from that brand. My confidence in Yamaha and Suzuki is almost as good as what confidence I have in Honda.
U.S. Army retired
Former MSF Instructor
Fully retired!
2019 Honda PCX150
2021 Can Am Spyder RT
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

vito wrote:I have never before encountered a rider that felt that Honda was "the least reliable" brand.
You've missed out the crucial bit: "I've owned", the Hondas I've owned have had a long list of faults.
There are brands which are less reliable than Honda, for example I wouldn't touch a BMW scooter with a ten foot pole, but I would buy another PCX, the 200cc version that's coming one day.....
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

To be honest most things are manufactured to the same standards. Chuck price into the equation if you want cheap as chips and it skews things at the lower end of the bell curve.

My view is if reliability is your top priority it’s Japanese. Dull as ditchwater engineering but most things work.

BMW. I’ve just spent hours setting valve clearances on an admittedly 16 year old bike. Half good engineering, half not so good. And quite a bit of “that is kindergarten stupid design/engineering”. Machining is always pretty good.
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

I'd like to see future distribution and sales of the PCX 150 in North America to include features that are already available in other countries such as rear disc brake, idle stop, and Smart Key. :geek:

That said the entrance of the ADV 150 to our market would be interesting. Perhaps an ADV 300 in lieu of the newly designed Forza 300? That would be a hoot. Perhaps a little over the top for some though. The demand for scooters in general here needs a boost. :|

Honda, if you are listening, do bring your latest and greatest PCX 150 that you sell in other countries to the U.S.. Just don't charge more for it . . . or not that much more! :D

By the same token, I saw this video yesterday. It kind of sums up the true value of a scooter . . .. And in this particular case the scoot is an older PCX 125.

I found it to be philosophical and something "veteran" riders could definitely relate to. Everyone has those "Kodak" moments when the planets come into alignment and things seem to make perfect sense. We could only wish some of them come sooner life. :roll:

RobV
Year: 2012
Color: Red

Post by RobV »

gn2 wrote:
RobV wrote:I believe the Lambretta's engine is a two valve fuel injected engine designed by Honda built by SYM. (same as in the SYM LeGrande) so not that different to the PCX. PCX is liquid cooled though.
Designed by Honda when exactly?
Liquid cooling is a massive difference.
I'm told it's the same engine as the Sym LeGrande 200 (only fuel injected) which is a Honda design (this comes from the Australian product manager for Lambretta). It's a brilliant engine - hard to kill.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I think the older, air cooled Hondas were built to handle anything you could throw at them. Don't get me wrong, I love my PCX but it does have its problems, many of which I never came across on the previous bikes.

An example would be the clutch bearing, but I also now have an indication that the front wheel bearing is going bad. On my previous bikes...Honda 350cc, 500cc, 550cc...I never had a front wheel bearing go bad, especially at 6,000 miles, or a clutch bearing or anything related to the clutch at less than 10,000 miles. We greased the chain, did routine maintenance, ant then rode it. My brother took his 500 or 550 (I can't remember which since he traded up for the other at some point) all the way across the United States and back with only a slow leak in his tire to deal with during his entire trip.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Yorkie150
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018/19
Color: RED

Post by Yorkie150 »

Built in obsolescence ??
https://www.facebook.com/groups/769137659827490/
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Back in the '70's I remember how Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki, and Yamaha poured tons of money into racing on Sunday and selling on Monday.

Their quality, performance, and brand recognition improved accordingly.

Look at them today!

TBH I do miss the character of the older bikes, many of which were still "daily riders" back then, and the sound of their engines. But the Japanese bikes really did steal the show when it came to long distance reliability and dealerships were popping up everywhere if you needed support or parts. 8)