How long you been riding?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Re: How long you been riding?

Post by maddiedog »

^ He is, he's mentioned it in his other posts. Pay attention. ;) :lol:

My first ride was on an 80cc Honda dirt bike back when I was in middle school, probably around age 13 or so, I think.

My parents despise bikes, so my first bike I bought in college after they stopped supporting me financially. I think I was 18 at the time. It was a Honda Reflex that had been wrapped around a guardrail. I replaced most of the front end, and rode that thing for over 10k miles before I blew up the engine from a combination between too much riding at redline and maintenance neglect. That means I've been riding for just over 6 years now.

I'm 24 now. :)
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Cracksta
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cracksta »

At what age did you buy your first bike? 21, CBT for 6 months then passed on A2, had Cagiva Mito 125 over 2 years
How many years have you actively ridden? 1825+ days
How old are you now? 27+, sold Gixer 600 K3 and got PCX.

So who is the oldest and youngest of the lot? lol
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Late 1960's rented a small Honda shifty for a week. 1960's-70's also rode on the back of friends bikes, Suzuki, Yamaha's, etc (in between hot rodding around in a GTO, 442, '57 Chevy, Camaro Z28 ("Those were the days my friends!") So moving on I'm thinking it was back in the early 80's I bought a used Honda 125 shifty and then gave it away a year later. It needed work and the kid had a dream of having a bike repair shop. It was a beginning for him and now a business. Going forward in years I rented scoots on vacations. Mucho years later in 2007, I got "the bug" again. Bidded on EBay and won a 2002 Honda Shadow Dlx 600. Then one month later I bid and won a 2005 Honda Shadow Dlx 600. Excellent buys, both of them. Rode them with friends for awhile & then decided to sell both in 2008 to buy a 2 up front one rear tyre......Piaggio's 2007 MP3 (250). Loved it, but too damn heavy for my back. They also have a tendency to just "drop in slo-motion" right before your eyes. Mine did. It is common with this bike. Having to lift it that one time....Was indeed the last time. Sold it. Cried. Waited tor a call from Honda and as promised they did. The new arrival of the Honda 2011 PCX hit the showroom floor and it was my choice...Red or White. Guess what I chose :D Love this scoot, I will have it till another "bug" bites me. My age? I'm older than you think. Or, am I? That about does it. ;)
What say the rest of ye?
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

Nearly all my bikes have been Hondas, they have all been sweet. Whitenoise so you are the oldest....sorry most experienced.... on this forum I guess! Seems like the PCX suits us old farts, Im just not a Vespa fan! Especially when you somehow ride through a rally of 100's them in anoraks in Brighton, England in the 70's when on a bike wearing a black leather jacket. Anyone remember Quadrophenia?
jasontheparamedic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jasontheparamedic »

^ He is, he's mentioned it in his other posts. Pay attention.
Yep, I am a paramedic and a nurse. Didn't intend to go back to school (for nursing) but economic reality required me too. Nowadays I only work as a nurse.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I forgot to tell you that I was 17 and in the military when I purchased my Harley. That was 1964. Who is most experienced?? Does it matter? It is what you learn that counts. I learned about the importance of helmets and gloves by watching in horror as my 12 riding friends, one by one, became zero. I had 2 die on the same day on the same curve and at the same time. When you are young and foolish it is hard to impress you. I use to think nothing of redlining my Harley on the main roads of West Texas, when I wasn't on the track being even more foolish. Live and learn.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
CaptnJim
Regular User
Regular User

Post by CaptnJim »

I've been riding 45 years. After today, we have owned 25 motorcycles between my wife and me... full-dress touring bikes, cruisers, sport bikes. Today we bought a pair of PCX 150s. I have apparently come "full circle" - I started with a Honda 150 Dream when I was 14. Nine H-Ds, 4 Goldwings, 2 BMWs, a Triumph Bonneville, a few other Hondas and Yamahas, and my current "adventure cruiser," a V-Strom. We pick up the PCXs tomorrow - our first scooters.

We don't eat up the miles like we used to, but we're hoping these little scooters will be BIG fun!

Best wishes,
Captain Jim
His & Hers Honda PCX 150s
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

You won't be disappointed, Jim. They're lots of fun. :)

Welcome to the forums.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

to be Young again.
If I could turn back time, this would be on my Xmas list!
Hold fast, the doorbell is ringing. I'll be back :D
It was the UPS truck! Look I just got one! o_O

Giving this "StriderBike" to my nephew who will be 2 this Sunday. Start 'em young, I say :D 8) :D 8)
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Hilarious. Bet you have first turn
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

I surrender happily to you Mel. "You" may just be the elder here piggybacking lots of experience! Cheers to ya, you're a long lasting diehard rider! I tip my hat to you 8) 8)
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

>> Taz, "old farts" Rockin' PCX'S. Soooooooooo Coooool. ;)
dinamasu

Post by dinamasu »

Bought my first scooter at age 16. It was an older Cushman Super Eagle. That was in 1960. Gave up two wheels from 1963 to 1999 when I retired from working. Then I bought a 1986 Honda Elite 80. It was at that time I learned that you needed a motorcycle endorsement on your drivers license. In the "old days" all you needed was a drivers license here in California. Been busy in the past 14 years I have had a Honda PC800, BMW K75, Yamaha TW200, 1983 Honda C70 Passport, Kawasaki Vulcan 500, Vulcan 750, 1999 Triumph Legend, 1997 BMW R1100R, 1999 BMW F650, 2007 BMW F650GS, and a Moto Guzzi Nevada Classic. I still own the latter two. The only bike that I bought New however was the 2007 BMW F650GS.

Years riding doesn't mean much. Just ride defensively and ride safe.
---
Don "very short person" Inamasu
Northern California
2013 Red PCX150, 2005 Silver Moto Guzzi Nevada, 2007 BMW F650GS
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Dinamasu wins on age and experience. Still, he is right. Years riding don't really count for much. It either means that you have learned or that you are very very lucky. There are very few long riding fools, which tells me that he learned early about riding defensively and safely. Congrats to you! Keep on riding till you can't . Once riding is in your blood, it just doesn't go away. Sort of like all the years I spent in planes and helicopters. It just get in your blood. Except now I can't do the plane thing but can still ride, so I will.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Shoe
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Shoe »

Started in '74 with a Solex. I probably logged over 5000 miles on that thing, even in Winter. Graduated to cars and chicks in '76

Wasn't until like '81 when a buddy of mine went shopping for a bike when I got back in the saddle. He was shopping, I bought.

Ended up with a Yammie 500XS. Rode that for a few years with a couple of close calls including deer, guys running red lights and once had a passenger planting a foot while in a high-speed turn. We almost died!

Rode a Kaw 500 for a while, but that thing was insane. My brother-in-law came over one day with his Ninja.back in the early 2000's, took that thing for a spin. Holy Shit! by the time I got into 3rd gear I was at 80mph! (in a 40 speed zone) all within 200 yards...

Figured it was time to for a scooter. Something to ride to work and enjoy the scenery at a reasonable price.

I spend some time in Florida, some in the Smokey's and plenty of time around camp in Michigan. The camp and boat is located on Lake Erie and we get plenty of "blow days".

The PCX will provide a decent amount of enjoyment without breaking the bank. Love photography and being on 2 wheels helps while looking for that bridge, barn, old car or any relic worth a picture.

Might be short-lived...lol. Sure like those bigger beemers.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Shoe wrote:Started in '74 with a Solex. I probably logged over 5000 miles on that thing, even in Winter. Graduated to cars and chicks in '76

Wasn't until like '81 when a buddy of mine went shopping for a bike when I got back in the saddle. He was shopping, I bought.

Ended up with a Yammie 500XS. Rode that for a few years with a couple of close calls including deer, guys running red lights and once had a passenger planting a foot while in a high-speed turn. We almost died!

Rode a Kaw 500 for a while, but that thing was insane. My brother-in-law came over one day with his Ninja.back in the early 2000's, took that thing for a spin. Holy Shit! by the time I got into 3rd gear I was at 80mph! (in a 40 speed zone) all within 200 yards...

Figured it was time to for a scooter. Something to ride to work and enjoy the scenery at a reasonable price.

I spend some time in Florida, some in the Smokey's and plenty of time around camp in Michigan. The camp and boat is located on Lake Erie and we get plenty of "blow days".

The PCX will provide a decent amount of enjoyment without breaking the bank. Love photography and being on 2 wheels helps while looking for that bridge, barn, old car or any relic worth a picture.

Might be short-lived...lol. Sure like those bigger beemers.
Wow passage of rights stuff! Respect
paulchiangmai

Post by paulchiangmai »

You all sure make me feel old, I had my first bike in 1954, age 17, a BSA 250 cc, C11. Followed that up with a couple of BSA 500 cc's. Have had six or seven Honda waves, 125 cc's and last April got my new PCX150. Have had various other machines over the years including a BSA Bantam, Triumph speed twin, Honda 90 cc back in 1968. Ride most days here in Thailand although I have also done a lot of miles in England,Australia, New Zealand and the US. Frequently ride from my home in the north of Thailand, Chiang Mai, to Burma [Myanmar] and back in the same day, 500 kilometeres round trip. Am now a few days shy of 76 so have been riding bikes and driving cars for the past 57 years accident free, touch wood. Believe me anyone who can ride for 15 years here in Thailand without any mishap is either a liar or extremely lucky, they all have a death wish here and on average 27 motor cyclists meet their maker here in Thailand every day. Just joined the forum today and look forward to other peoples experiences.
Shoe
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Shoe »

You better touch wood, you old bastard! :lol:

Fun reading about everyone's history. Not quite sure if I bought mine for economy or mid/late life crisis. Tried a GMC Terrain for better mileage a few years back, but found that I still prefer to drive my diesel. Traded both to afford a GMC HD Denali. Back to square 1

Say, I'm about to take the PCX in for the 600 mile service. Seems the valve adjustment is still recommended and every 2500 miles after that. Is 200 bucks about the going rate?

I'm at 560 some on the clock and about to take the thing down to the Smokey's at Easter. I know I'll be WAY over while down there.

Looking at all the stuff that needs to be removed to expose the engine, 200 doesn't seem to be out of line including the oil change. Fair price? What else do they do?
paulchiangmai

Post by paulchiangmai »

Shoe, re adjusting valves on Hondas, no one here in Thailand ever has valves adjusted on these bikes, I have never heard of anyone adjusting valves, and I have never heard of anyone having problems because they did not adjust the valves, Honda quality means leave them alone. I talk from experience having owned many Hondas and never touching valves. It seems it is only in the UK and the US where you do the valves on Hondas, Why? Because your dealers are ripping you off thats why. Had my 1,000 kilometer service a little while back, sat there and watched the Honda mechanic check everything bar the valves, change the oil etc and the cost, just the oil about $4.
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

I agree, I tell my mechanic to do a normal service and change oil each time but not to do a valve check. Service fee went down from $200 to $80.