2019 Yamaha XMax 300 . . . the Last in a Long Line for Me

The other 2-wheeled contraptions you ride.

Moderator: Modsquad

Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: 2019 Yamaha XMax 300 . . . the Last in a Long Line for M

Post by Old Grinner »

changed the oil and the final drive oil in mine today odometer went over 1000 kilometers and the oil change reminder came on
I'm ready with the filter and oil as soon as it hit's the scheduled maintenance mark . . ..

The filter is smaller than I thought it would be.

Did you have any problem getting the old filter out?
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2016
Color: silver

Post by big bear »

well my sons a diesel mechanic so he did most of the work he had no problem with the filter it was kinda the same set up as on my yamaha atvs the site glass was nice for adding the oil to the right level. He used a measuring cup to add the right amount of final gear oil
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

well my sons a diesel mechanic so he did most of the work he had no problem with the filter it was kinda the same set up as on my yamaha atvs the site glass was nice for adding the oil to the right level. He used a measuring cup to add the right amount of final gear oil
I saw this recently . . ..

Found it helpful. :D

big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by big bear »

took the x max out for a ride to the local repair shop for the yearly inspection it passed then rode some more got about 15 more miles on it
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

took the x max out for a ride to the local repair shop for the yearly inspection it passed then rode some more got about 15 more miles on it
Glad you aren't having any problems trying to start it anymore. You got a new battery for it right?

I took mine out for a sunset ride last night. Really comfortable. Didn't see one deer.

Wish I brought my camera. 8)
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by big bear »

yes i put a litiuim battery in the x max starting problem solved. I wanted to ride more but my spring allergies stoped me i started having breathing problems from the pollen had to go sit in next to the air condishiner for a while
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

I noticed the "Oil Service" blinking light come on this morning at around 625 miles. I've got the oil and filter needed. Tomorrow it will be a good day to change it since it's supposed to rain. ;) :lol: :roll:
100_6023a.jpg
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Did the first engine oil/filter and final drive oil change today on my XMax.

It was fairly easy . . . similar to the PCX except it has a site glass instead of a dipstick to measure the oil level for the engine and it has an oil filter instead of an oil screen.

Actually the difficult part that kept driving me crazy was trying to reset the oil trip meter. It automatically flashes when you are due for an oil change. When you perform the schedule service you have to reset it so it will flash again in a timely manner for the next scheduled service. That said, the owners manual is a bit vague. I thought I was following it to the letter. Long story short you have to act quickly by releasing a button after holding it between 15 and 20 seconds for it to reset the oil trip meter to zero. If you don't, you miss the window of opportunity and it won't reset. It would have been helpful if they described it a little better in the manual. If you interpret "at least" instead of "within" you'll possibly miss out as I did several times. Also it won't do it automatically as you continue to hold the button down . . . you have to release it between 15 and 20 seconds. Much to do about nothing I know. :lol:

Here's a few quick pics I took . . ..

I used the regular mineral based Yamalube 10w-40 for the engine and my leftover 10w-30 Honda HP4M Oil (with moly) from the PCX for the final drive gear. I realized I forgot to order some crush washers for the engine oil drain bolt when I got the filters and o-rings. That said I just left existing o-rings on the filter cover and caps. I've had success in the past getting multiple uses out of o-rings and crush washers on motorcycles. ;)
100_6028a.jpg
100_6032a.jpg
100_6035a.jpg
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Now who in his right mind puts the oil drain where you can easily change the oil! Think of all the fun you missed out on. Heck, changing the oil in my Honda lawn mower requires me to turn the entire lawn mower upside down. Isn't that more fun than just putting drain pan under it and unscrewing the drain plug?? 8) :lol: :roll:
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

The real genius of the X max is the sight glass, not a dipstick. With nice, easy to see high and low fill marks on the lens assembly.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Jge64 wrote:The real genius of the X max is the sight glass, not a dipstick. With nice, easy to see high and low fill marks on the lens assembly.

I’ve got the same on my bike. Genius.

Side stand only.

Not so genius :)
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

I thought the manual said 1.69 Qt. (with filter removal). So I guess I must have added 1.7 probably.

When I checked the site glass it was right up to the top line . . . basically a bit above but hardly.

Then I noticed the 1500cc (1.5 L.) next to the site glass. But that represents engine oil capacity with no filter change. With a filter change in metric it would be 1.6 L.

So being OCD about such things as I can be I moved the XMax off the center stand and carefully tilted the scooter a bit to "port" (kickstand down) while watching to see if the oil level dropped in the site glass. It did . . . immediately . . . which indicated to me that although it showed really full it wasn't ludicrously full.

And speaking of ludicrous . . . . :lol: :lol: :lol:

big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by big bear »

rain has stoped took the x max out for a ride
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

new Windshield and body mount mirrors
Attachments
8B12D26A-4A54-470C-AB81-B6B7C7D66278.jpeg
8B12D26A-4A54-470C-AB81-B6B7C7D66278.jpeg (86.94 KiB) Viewed 3664 times
Glen
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

new Windshield and body mount mirrors
Looks good to me! 8)

How are they working out for you?
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

This alibaba item was a real find.. You got good OEM quality mirrors with the carbon fiber back, the bracket, that also serves as a mount for the GPS. All for $40 shipped to me. Everyplace else I found this to be $100-$150 and wasn’t interested.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3296478 ... 4c4dMZW8ZS
Glen
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

FWIW I fit a 17 lb. bag of wild bird seed under the seat. I was in a rush to get errands done and threw the dice. :roll:

A bit over capacity but it rode fine with only a slight noticeable change in handling characteristics. That said of course I would suggest others abide by the manufacturer's owners manual recommendation.

OEM specs state 11 lb. weight limit for the under seat storage compartment. :geek:
vito
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019

Post by vito »

I enjoyed reading this long thread. My main ride is a Goldwing, but I also have a new 2019 PCX150 for fun and local errands. The Goldwing is an unbelievable ride, but at 76 I know that my years of handling a 900+ pound two wheel vehicle will likely run out in the next few years. Riding the Goldwing is a dream, but you feel that weight when coming to a stop, especially with a passenger. I find that more and more I tend to take out the PCX when I want to just go out for a fun ride of an hour or so. So that has got me to thinking about when I must trade in the Goldwing. Rather than get a lighter motorcycle I think that I will get a scooter, as the ease of use and the fun factor is over the top. Not having ridden an XMax or a Forza, my first thought has been the Burgman 400, in part because I want a powerful enough engine so that I can feel comfortable riding the Interstate. The local Interstate highways around here all have a 70 mph posted speed, but traffic routinely moves at 75 or 80. Is the Xmax capable of doing 80 with a 200 pound rider aboard? For that matter, will the Burgman 400 be up to that task, or do I need to be looking at a Burgman 650? I realize that the bigger the scoot is, the less of the nimbleness it will have, which is something I love about the PCX. Where the sweet spot is still eludes me. I'm hoping that some of the questions I pose here in my Post will elicit some responses to help me better formulate my plan, which could be as soon as next Spring.
U.S. Army retired
Former MSF Instructor
Fully retired!
2019 Honda PCX150
2021 Can Am Spyder RT
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

You sound like you have a similar situation to me, I am 69, I’ve been riding for years on all big bikes when I decided to buy my PCX. I love Honda I did 5 years with Honda corporate, as the regional manager in Ohio. I loved my Pcx, I did tons of mods on it that are in my signature link., but after having a GF move across the state that I wanted to see occasionally, I realized I needed a bigger bike. I really didn’t like the way I got blown around on the interstate on the PCX, it was dangerous to me. I realized I needed a heavier motorcycle, but not too heavy. So I kept the PCX and bought a CTX 700, which was a great bike to take across the state, however it was too heavy to roll around the garage, and get up on the center stand. I got tired of the weight and I always worried I might drop it because my legs are getting relatively weak, along with a bad back.

So I went looking… I looked at a Bergman 400, An Xmax 300 and wanted to look at the Forza but the new one is not out yet in the United States. The Bergman was just too big and heavy.I was pleasantly surprised to find that I could immediately put the Xmax up on the center stand and roll around, although it is 100 pounds heavier than the PCX , it is 100 pounds lighter than the CTX. I was very happy with the way it didn’t even feel like it was there. I traded both the CTX and the PCX for the Xmax.

And as for your question of whether it will do 80, absolutely it will and more. I cruise all day long on the interstate at 75, it is heavy enough that it doesn’t get blown around, and Yamaha is known to make peppier engines than the competition. I am 100% happy with the Xmax. It does it all. I also like that they’ve done a good job with the accessories, from Europe you can get an OEM Yamaha custom seat that is extremely comfortable as it’s made out of memory foam.

you know the answer to your problem is easy, go test ride both bikes and make your decision.
Attachments
BBFD9216-B4E1-4EB5-9504-2EB4CE9A6C27.jpeg
BBFD9216-B4E1-4EB5-9504-2EB4CE9A6C27.jpeg (348 KiB) Viewed 3594 times
Glen
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

I also might mention that I looked at Vespa, the GTS 300, and the Kymco x-town I would consider the Kimco but I really don’t like the dealer, he’s far away, doesn’t look like he provides any support. It’s just a hole in the wall. Also I think the vespa look like they have a fat ass… Sorry to Vespa owners. I will say that the Kymco downtown model is a lot cheaper and very nice. I actually think it’s the basis of the Kawasaki scooter. If you have a good dealer, I’d go sit on one.
Glen