spring checklist

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

spring checklist

Post by homie »

Don't forget to air the tires/tyres back up after winter sleep.
Check no critter has made a home out yee tail pipe.
Battery might need a top off if you didn't use a tender.
If you warmed & cooled the engine over winter (never do it) condensation in the crankcase, dump the oil.
Get that old stabilized fuel burned off completely and put some fresh 87 octane.

Lets RIDE! 8)

Oh yea and wear your lid, at least until you get your game back on... you are a year older now :D
Attachments
air.jpg
air.jpg (139.13 KiB) Viewed 900 times
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: spring checklist

Post by you you »

homie wrote:Don't forget to air the tires/tyres back up after winter sleep.
Check no critter has made a home out yee tail pipe.
Battery might need a top off if you didn't use a tender.
If you warmed & cooled the engine over winter (never do it) condensation in the crankcase, dump the oil.
Get that old stabilized fuel burned off completely and put some fresh 87 octane.

Lets RIDE! 8)

Oh yea and wear your lid, at least until you get your game back on... you are a year older now :D

Other opinions are available on starting your bike over the winter (do it) . Especially carbed bikes and two strokes.

Another month or so before I can ride but let's go for it :)
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

If you warmed & cooled the engine over winter (never do it) condensation in the crankcase, dump the oil. Get that old stabilized fuel burned off completely and put some fresh 87 octane.
Good point about using up last year's tankful and getting a new fresh supply of fuel. . .

Condensation will definitely occur if you don't let it warm up enough and take it for a ride. . .and it's better for the clutch also.

The oil (in my case) gets tossed every Spring and Fall anyways so it's all good. . .

Sometimes I figure it's better to run a motor and at least keep the gaskets moist than let them dry out if the roads are too icy or salty to use. Eventually things should clear up enough to get a 5 miler in or so. . .

Hand to eye coordination and balance does get a little off when not used for a while. I try to be more deliberate with my riding in Spring. . .take my time and get back into the rhythm of things and be wary of residual sand on the roads.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

One more thing. . .I actually had a family of mice make a nest under my seat on my Suzuki one winter. . .back where the owner's manual and registration and stuff goes near the taillight wiring harness. I don't know how many times I rode that thing when they must have gone into "abandon ship" mode when I started it. Never had a clew they had been living there until I went to put my insurance renewal card in with the registration in the Spring. There was all these little nut looking things and stuffing they got from I don't know where I had to clean out. Never underestimate the rodents. . .they are survivors! :lol:
ItBeMe
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Very dark blue

Post by ItBeMe »

I ride all year round, no need for that,
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it!
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

ItBeMe wrote:I ride all year round, no need for that,
It's true your bikes don't suffer the down time like mine do but your HOUSE man!
OMG the Georgia termites :lol: :lol: :lol: you need snow holm's
atpcop

Post by atpcop »

Good checklist! Fortunately, I've put 2,300 miles since I bought my 17 PCX three months ago.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

atpcop wrote:Good checklist! Fortunately, I've put 2,300 miles since I bought my 17 PCX three months ago.
But yee snow bird Georgia house fell down too.... termites :roll:
Rickjds
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2020
Color: Candy Luster Re

Post by Rickjds »

PCX150Rider wrote:
If you warmed & cooled the engine over winter (never do it) condensation in the crankcase, dump the oil. Get that old stabilized fuel burned off completely and put some fresh 87 octane.
Good point about using up last year's tankful and getting a new fresh supply of fuel. . .

Condensation will definitely occur if you don't let it warm up enough and take it for a ride. . .and it's better for the clutch also.

The oil (in my case) gets tossed every Spring and Fall anyways so it's all good. . .

Sometimes I figure it's better to run a motor and at least keep the gaskets moist than let them dry out if the roads are too icy or salty to use. Eventually things should clear up enough to get a 5 miler in or so. . .

Hand to eye coordination and balance does get a little off when not used for a while. I try to be more deliberate with my riding in Spring. . .take my time and get back into the rhythm of things and be wary of residual sand on the roads.
Sorry for my ignorance but how is it better for the clutch? Can you explain more?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Speaking of mice, when I bought my PCX I took it home and pulled the back plastics off so that I could upgrade the tail lights. Well, what I found in there was a mouse nest, chewed up wires, and chewed up rubber wire bundle covering. I took it back to the dealer after taking pictures and putting it back together. They had to take it back apart and order several sections of the wiring harness It was in the shop for two weeks. Mice can do some real damage to the wiring, and the area in the very back makes for a nice nest, plus they can run around inside the rest of the bike without being discovered.
Consider checking under the plastic after a long winter. You might be surprised.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Sorry for my ignorance but how is it better for the clutch? Can you explain more?
I can understand your confusion. . .

I've stated in other threads on this forum that I own motorcycles and a scooter. I didn't specifically mention it in this thread. It's a terrible thing to get old. . .just kidding. :roll:

On the motorcycles the clutches are totally different. . .dry vs wet. And yes there are some "automatic" motorcycles as well but I was referring to those with wet clutches.

Here's a link to a video that I think you will find informative and bring clarity as to why it's so important to change the oil on a regular basis (at least seasonal) in motorcycles, and especially in motorcycles with wet clutches. :geek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K50n5eCGQI