For your consideration

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: For your consideration

Post by you you »

Cracksta wrote:Each to their own I'd say. The pcx was designed with economy in mind, I won't be doing any performance mods.

However the tops speed on a stretch of road for me is 50, the rest is 30 so top speed is not needed. Riding 2 up with the missus is fine too.

So as long as the mods cost minimal its ok, but spending more is stupid unless it's your hobbie

Same here. 50 is pushing it a bit
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

qed wrote:change the record mate
No problem, what one would you like?
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Pcxdemon wrote:I dont think so, i bought a perfect scooter,fits me like a glove and now goes like a pocket rocket. Extremely hard to find anything that would replace it as it is now.
Also there are no penalties except 'small' out of pocket cost to get it there.
What mods have you done so far? I saw you mentioned the Takegewa camshaft, but what else? I think I remember you mentioning a variator in another thread -- did you also get a new ECU?
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:

Hong Kong Gardens would be nice
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

OK pop pickers, here's Siouxsie Sioux with her Banshees....

Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

gn2 wrote:
Gone with the wind :)
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

maddiedog wrote:
Pcxdemon wrote:I dont think so, i bought a perfect scooter,fits me like a glove and now goes like a pocket rocket. Extremely hard to find anything that would replace it as it is now.
Also there are no penalties except 'small' out of pocket cost to get it there.
What mods have you done so far? I saw you mentioned the Takegewa camshaft, but what else? I think I remember you mentioning a variator in another thread -- did you also get a new ECU?
Takegawa vario also have Daytona vario. Daytona vario is bit temperamental in tuning it right but has explosive mid range and slightly higher top end. Takegawa is good all rounder. Takegawa exhaust, camshaft- good power increase, it leaves a Pcx with takegawa exhaust and vario (mates one) for dead on flats, bigger screen has a bit to do with it as well ( Madmax). Kitaco i-map but only fuels the cam from 8000rpm-i can edit it to fuel extra elsewhere but really need dyno to do it properly.I will get Takegawa 170cc in near future with its 'Fi Con2' and run it all properly. There is a Pcx on youtube with 170cc kit you can see the power/speed increase the diff it makes...Also few other bits and pieces..
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Don't know that one, but here's Bob Seger with his Silver Bullet Band performing "Against The Wind"
...Let the cowboys ride
They'll be ridin' against the wind...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENPkLAeMJ5E
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

pcxdemon -- Where did you get the Takegawa camshaft and variator?
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

maddiedog wrote:pcxdemon -- Where did you get the Takegawa camshaft and variator?
Webike bud
Spleege

Post by Spleege »

actually its the rev limiter and the belt width. respectfully, your wrong. However, considering the revs are cut off at 9600 rpm, do you really want to push this 150cc any farther. Nope. speed increase would be with belt width or modifications to the variator. the rpm's must be lowered in order to obtain a high speed. current variator mods that I have seen give more torque but not speed. an exhaust would do the same. more torque, more free flow but still your limited by the rev limiter.
Mitch Detailed
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mitch Detailed »

Spleege wrote:actually its the rev limiter and the belt width. respectfully, your wrong. However, considering the revs are cut off at 9600 rpm, do you really want to push this 150cc any farther. Nope. speed increase would be with belt width or modifications to the variator. the rpm's must be lowered in order to obtain a high speed. current variator mods that I have seen give more torque but not speed. an exhaust would do the same. more torque, more free flow but still your limited by the rev limiter.
Idk what your post is responding to, but you forgot gearing completely, as well as tire sizing which the pcx is limited to.

9600 rpms isn't much these days. Especially out of a properly designed engine.

If you had proper valvetrain, and replaced the rod/rodbolts, wpc treated the bearing, and made sure you had the proper p2w clearances, I could see these scooters turning 11.5k no problem.
hatari
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Looking for more power

Post by hatari »

as someone who's had 3 PCX's (2 125's and a 150, one of the 125's was fitted with a J Coster variator)....

i would like to say...

understand that this is a small capacity single cylinder auto scooter.......a new variator, will give you a little improvement in acceleration / top speed - but its not going to be like swapping to a 250cc...

Even if you changed the variator, and put on a "performance" (FFS) exhaust / filter, i'd say the cost and the faffing around factor are hardly worth it....

Just enjoy your pcx for what it is...a cheap and cheerful little scooter.....
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

I cleaned up Performance again, from Hatari posting the above in 5 threads.

As a reminder, any generic dumping on performance mods for the PCX will be removed and the user warned. This subforum is to promote performance modding of the PCX. Cost effectiveness of the mods or whether or not you think they are worthwhile is not a subject that is allowed anywhere but in this thread.
shivayash

Post by shivayash »

you you wrote:
gn2 wrote:
Pcxdemon wrote:you underestimate Pcx so easy.
I don't underestimate it, I know what it is and what is realistically achieveble and what the penalties are.
My opinion remains that there is just no point in modifying a PCX.
If you want to go faster, you've bought the wrong scooter.

change the record mate
Ditto. The pcx is a sweet machine and I've got the J Costa variator. It does make a difference in pick up and highly useful for my usual commute in the City of London.
Slickvic
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Looking for more power

Post by Slickvic »

hatari wrote:as someone who's had 3 PCX's (2 125's and a 150, one of the 125's was fitted with a J Coster variator)....

i would like to say... understand that this is a small capacity single cylinder auto scooter.......a new variator, will give you a little improvement in acceleration / top speed - but its not going to be like swapping to a 250cc........
Yeah, but it makes me wonder what we can learn from those guys who race 125cc Go Karts. Look at those numbers:

20.4 HP, 8500 rpm
125 cc
Around 140-160 km/h

Come on....there has to be untapped potential if they can do it. This is not just coffee shop speculation. They are actually getting the performance. Check it out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXyyyVjcvF0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_HXgcHyu_8
Previous - 1986 Honda Elite 250, 2007 Ninja 500r, 2013 Honda PCX-150
Current - 2015 Honda CBR650F :o
scisor34
Regular User
Regular User

Post by scisor34 »

Slickvic wrote:
hatari wrote:as someone who's had 3 PCX's (2 125's and a 150, one of the 125's was fitted with a J Coster variator)....

i would like to say... understand that this is a small capacity single cylinder auto scooter.......a new variator, will give you a little improvement in acceleration / top speed - but its not going to be like swapping to a 250cc........
Yeah, but it makes me wonder what we can learn from those guys who race 125cc Go Karts. Look at those numbers:

20.4 HP, 8500 rpm
125 cc
Around 140-160 km/h

Come on....there has to be untapped potential if they can do it. This is not just coffee shop speculation. They are actually getting the performance. Check it out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXyyyVjcvF0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_HXgcHyu_8

Those karts have 2stroke engines, that's a whole different world than what you're dealing with in the PCX.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

And they need rebuilt after every few races.
Slickvic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Slickvic »

scisor34 wrote:

Those karts have 2stroke engines, that's a whole different world than what you're dealing with in the PCX.
Noooooooooooooo!!
Previous - 1986 Honda Elite 250, 2007 Ninja 500r, 2013 Honda PCX-150
Current - 2015 Honda CBR650F :o
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

maddiedog wrote:I cleaned up Performance again, from Hatari posting the above in 5 threads.

As a reminder, any generic dumping on performance mods for the PCX will be removed and the user warned. This subforum is to promote performance modding of the PCX. Cost effectiveness of the mods or whether or not you think they are worthwhile is not a subject that is allowed anywhere but in this thread.
Even if they are really really sackless?