Losing oil?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

outlander
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

Losing oil?

Post by outlander »

I am not losing my mind, I've posted about the same issue before and it looks like I am not the only one. I am at 6900 miles, the service is at 7500 miles. I checked my oil using the correct procedure in the service manual and the dipstick is not showing any oil reading.

There is no smoke from the exhaust. There are no oil leaks on the ground.

I have always filled the correct amount of oil. The oil is going somewhere. I am thinking of checking it every 1000 miles and whenever low use a turkey baster and add oil.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Re: Losing oil?

Post by easyrider »

Make sure that its on the center stand..not the kick stand when checking
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Sometimes my oil level will fall over time without showing any obvious leaks - I thought it was ok to loose a little over time just not too much.
outlander
Regular User
Regular User

Post by outlander »

Yes on centerstand, dipstick not screwed in, checked when hot and cold no difference. These engines definitely burn oil.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

I think you'll find every manufacturer in the world will have something in the manual that their engine CAN burn some oil. At least every owners manual I've ever been read. And it's a broad swipe to say the PCX'S burn oil. Some do, but some don't.I've got a year and a half on my bike and I've never burned a drop. But if I start to burn oil, and it's a reasonable amount, I won't lose any sleep over it.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Poseidon Black

Post by Eiron »

outlander wrote:... I am thinking of checking it every 1000 miles and whenever low use a turkey baster and add oil.
This is a good idea on any vehicle, not just the PCX.

Besides mechanical issues (stuck rings, leaking seals, etc), the type of oil (conventional vs synthetic) & viscosity will also play a roll in oil loss. As a general rule, conventional oils "burn off" more quickly than synthetics, and lighter viscosities do it more quickly than heavier ones. Changing oil type and/or grade might slow your visible loss?
JaeMelo
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black/Grey

Post by JaeMelo »

Typical symptom of cylinder blowby. There will be many more users here who'll experience the very same thing in due time, some sooner then others. This all comes from the idea that starting your bike up and whacking on the throttle without allowing it to warm up properly is totally fine. It is just like smoking cigarettes It just takes time for the damage to accumulate into something perceptible. No big deal though you can easily fix this by getting either a big bore kit which is dirt cheap from Yuminashi or simply replace the piston rings and valve stem seals.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Jge64 wrote:I think you'll find every manufacturer in the world will have something in the manual that their engine CAN burn some oil. At least every owners manual I've ever been read. And it's a broad swipe to say the PCX'S burn oil. Some do, but some don't.I've got a year and a half on my bike and I've never burned a drop. But if I start to burn oil, and it's a reasonable amount, I won't lose any sleep over it.

Exactly
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Possibilities? ... only two at this point IMO

Someone is trying to sabotage your engine
OR
Improper initial engine break-in procedure
I would do an immediate compression check, rings are probably allowing abnormal blow by.

My PCX150 does not burn off oil at any noticeable rate between changes, its the coolant that can fall below limit in 5k.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Warm the engine, remove the spark plug, attach the tester and crank it 'til the gauge stops. Make sure you've got the throttle wide open when you do the test. I would have to read but I think compression should be between 150-160psi
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: black

Post by Gil »

I wouldn't worry too much, just check your oil more often. Oil might be getting into the combustion chamber through the evaporation plumbing. At high RPM engine oil will tend to go through their into the intake side of the engine and over a long ride noticeable oil consumption will occur. This type of oil consumption will occur with any engine when they are at high RPM for extended periods of time.

Gil
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

outlander wrote:I am not losing my mind, I've posted about the same issue before and it looks like I am not the only one. I am at 6900 miles, the service is at 7500 miles. I checked my oil using the correct procedure in the service manual and the dipstick is not showing any oil reading.

I have always filled the correct amount of oil. The oil is going somewhere. I am thinking of checking it every 1000 miles and whenever low use a turkey baster and add oil.
Amazing....I own 3 quality scoots and motorcycles and I always check the oil level before every ride. Takes 20 seconds and a paper towel. 20 seconds.
Change it 3 to 6 times more often than you do. Takes 1/2 hour and a qt of good oil.
Owners that gripe and refuse to look at a dipstick or oil window are amazing.
Amazing. 20 seconds.
Fish.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Use synthetic oil instead of regular oil. Your engine will thank you. Even if you do or do not fix the oil problem, you should still need to use synthetic oil.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
eggman
Regular User
Regular User
Color: black

Post by eggman »

fish wrote:
outlander wrote:I am not losing my mind, I've posted about the same issue before and it looks like I am not the only one. I am at 6900 miles, the service is at 7500 miles. I checked my oil using the correct procedure in the service manual and the dipstick is not showing any oil reading.

Amazing....I own 3 quality scoots and motorcycles and I always check the oil level before every ride. Takes 20 seconds and a paper towel. 20 seconds.
Change it 3 to 6 times more often than you do. Takes 1/2 hour and a qt of good oil.
Amazing. 20 seconds.
Fish.
i can only check it in certain areas such as walmart only places i can find flat ground
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

fish wrote:

Amazing. 20 seconds.
Fish.
Waste of time and natural resources.

Amazing.
JaeMelo
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black/Grey

Post by JaeMelo »

^What's really amazing is your persistent uselessness and toxicity in almost every thread I've come across since joining this pretty awesome community.

Gil wrote:I wouldn't worry too much, just check your oil more often. Oil might be getting into the combustion chamber through the evaporation plumbing. At high RPM engine oil will tend to go through their into the intake side of the engine and over a long ride noticeable oil consumption will occur. This type of oil consumption will occur with any engine when they are at high RPM for extended periods of time.

Gil
^ OP listen to Gil! This is very true; however excess crankcase pressure from blowby will do the exact same thing. Especially in a motor were the break in was not done correctly like homie mentioned above. Either way it is not too big of a deal at the moment. Just keep checking the dipstick.
outlander
Regular User
Regular User

Post by outlander »

I have topped of the oil, when it comes to the 7500 service I will change to synthetic. I will check the level every 500 miles. The bike is used at wot often. I wasn't planning on changing the spark plug until 10k, then I'll have them do a compression check.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

outlander wrote:I have topped of the oil, when it comes to the 7500 service I will change to synthetic. I will check the level every 500 miles. The bike is used at wot often. I wasn't planning on changing the spark plug until 10k, then I'll have them do a compression check.

Sounds like a plan. If your not running synthetic but run at WOT often you are just burning a lower quality oil. I'd change it now and see how it goes.
Rickjds
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2020
Color: Candy Luster Re

Post by Rickjds »

Mel46 wrote:Use synthetic oil instead of regular oil. Your engine will thank you. Even if you do or do not fix the oil problem, you should still need to use synthetic oil.
Mel, why synthetic? There's a link to a break in proceedure that recocmends Dino oil for a thousand or so US miles. I plan on changing to synthetic at around 1600 US miles.
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

Rickjds wrote:
Mel46 wrote:Use synthetic oil instead of regular oil. Your engine will thank you. Even if you do or do not fix the oil problem, you should still need to use synthetic oil.
Mel, why synthetic? There's a link to a break in proceedure that recocmends Dino oil for a thousand or so US miles. I plan on changing to synthetic at around 1600 US miles.
Yep, mineral oil is best for break-in, then switch to full synthetic.