For your consideration

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Re: For your consideration

Post by sendler2112 »

gn2 wrote:
sendler2112 wrote:I haven't seen any.
UK model Honda CBF125, claimed figure from Honda is 160mpg (133US) and real world consumtion can better the PCX.
Right. I was thinking 125 scooters that could better the fuel economy of the PCX of which it is near the top in fuel use and for top speed. Those cheap little air cooled motorcycles are amazing on gas but top out even lower than the barely enough PCX.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Nope, the CBF125 has a higher top speed than the PCX125.
A Vespa LX or S 3v will do similar performance and economy as a PCX and it has much longer service intervals.
A CBR250R will also blow a PCX into the weeds and has the potential to do very similar real world fuel mileage.
In a Honda challenge to set the best mpg around London, (linky) the winner was a Varadero 125 v-twin adventure bike.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that the PCX isn't really that remarkable.
Good, but not massively better than anything else.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

I thought the CBF125 was about 10hp and topped out at 55 mph. The CBR125R will do 72 mph.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Honda claim 8.3kw (11.1 bhp) for the CBF125.
It can achieve an indicated top speed of 75mph which works out around 68.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

sendler2112 wrote:I thought the CBF125 was about 10hp and topped out at 55 mph. The CBR125R will do 72 mph.
Slightly modded Pcx125 will do 80mph (indicated on the speedo) and yes its gets up there quicker than stock 125 or 150 with economy of 2.6l/100k....mine does anyway.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Pcxdemon wrote:80mph (indicated on the speedo)
So not 80 then. :roll:
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

gn2 wrote:
Pcxdemon wrote:80mph (indicated on the speedo)
So not 80 then. :roll:
80mph on speedo is 73mph GPS, so pretty darn good for a Auto 125cc. Thats a 'big' diff especially when you look at stock Pcx 60mph at best..
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

When new, a standard restricted PCX 125 does 62.5mph.
For a 125 a top speed of 73mph is pretty normal.
If you can get it to a genuine 80mph with the ability to return 90+ mpg at a constant 70mph, then I'll be impressed.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

gn2 wrote:When new, a standard restricted PCX 125 does 62.5mph.
For a 125 a top speed of 73mph is pretty normal.
If you can get it to a genuine 80mph with the ability to return 90+ mpg at a constant 70mph, then I'll be impressed.
Well its a scooter with no gears, so transmission power loss is considerable comparing to geared 125 . I dont think there are 'that many' auto 125's that will do 73mph Gps and perhaps geared ones too.
Also who takes their 125cc bike or scooter and sits on 70mph (max speed) full throttle for a long period? If that is what you do then get a bigger bike! Mine returns 2.6l/100k and thats city riding as well as motorway riding sitting at 70mph Gps for 20-30min durations so that has to be darn impressive in anyones standards...

Its nice to know it doesn't have to cost a lot $ to know that stock Pcx can be lifted to another performance level for a few hundred quid extra. Its nice to know we can go on to the motorway knowing we will sit with the fast traffic and be able to overtake at times and not feel like you could get run over from behind by someone cos you're doing 50-55mph in 70 zone...Its nice to know you can just cruise at 60mph all day long on half throttle instead 'wot' and still have 20%+ power in reserve to go around lorries or slower cars...
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

gn2 wrote:When new, a standard restricted PCX 125 does 62.5mph.
With a slight tail wind or in a full tuck a PCX125 can hit the redline. Most people run out of power vs wind just before that. Hence the year long debate over whether or not the PCX125 was limited.
gn2 wrote:For a 125 a top speed of 73mph is pretty normal.
For a geared bike like the CBR125R and in a full tuck. A cruiser like the Rebel will be having much more trouble with buffeting at those speeds than the PCX which has excellent aerodynamic design.[/quote]
gn2 wrote:If you can get it to a genuine 80mph with the ability to return 90+ mpg at a constant 70mph, then I'll be impressed.
How about a top speed of 73 mph, cruise speed of 65 mph to keep up with the truck lane all day long, Brake Specific Fuel Consumption the same, and 50 mph fuel economy within 10% of stock.
The first few guys will figure it out with a 170cc kit, dialed in fuel controller, modified sliders, and a final gearing kit, and post the info. Anyone else will just buy the same parts and bolt them on. $600.
Now I am wishing I had just waited a little longer to get a good deal on a used 125 which go for $2200 to have the extra money for parts. Maybe I need one more bike!
The only way to get ANY vehicle near 90 mpgUS at 70 mph without drafting is with full streamlining.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Pcxdemon wrote:I dont think there are 'that many' auto 125's that will do 73mph Gps
Of the current crop: Yamaha X-max, Kymco Downtown, Peugeot Satelis 2
Pcxdemon wrote:Its nice to know we can go on to the motorway knowing we will sit with the fast traffic
Not with an absolute flat out top speed of 73mph you don't/can't.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

gn2 wrote:
Pcxdemon wrote:I dont think there are 'that many' auto 125's that will do 73mph Gps
Of the current crop: Yamaha X-max, Kymco Downtown, Peugeot Satelis 2

While there are plenty Pcx's on youtube showing big speeds i couldnt find much of those scooters you claim that are able to on youtube,also none of them is for sale in AUS and id say (but not 100%) in the US either so for most of us they are irrelevant.

Pcxdemon wrote:Its nice to know we can go on to the motorway knowing we will sit with the fast traffic
Not with an absolute flat out top speed of 73mph you don't/can't.
Actually sitting with traffic i will be easily doing 70mph GPS ....on a single lane roads with headwinds i can drop down to 65ish mph GPS...
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Pcxdemon wrote:Actually sitting with traffic i will be easily doing 70mph GPS
Easily?
With only 3mph in reserve I think it'll be a bit of a struggle.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

gn2 wrote:
Pcxdemon wrote:Actually sitting with traffic i will be easily doing 70mph GPS
Easily?
With only 3mph in reserve I think it'll be a bit of a struggle.
ha thats what you think but my Pcx and many others that have ventured mods way beg the differ....you underestimate Pcx so easy.
mikewasp

Post by mikewasp »

Can't believe this 125 discussion is still going on :lol: Here we've moved on. Now PCX 150's and SYM GTS 300i. Even Honda Zoomer X but gains are smaller with smaller engines.

Hey Demon. How's it hangin?

Recently being purported here is that an older 125 may suffer valve float before the engine reaches max design RPM. Honda Sonic double valve springs seems to be the weapon of choice. Let me know if you need a cam, I could pop down to the shops and get you one.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

mikewasp wrote:Can't believe this 125 discussion is still going on :lol: Here we've moved on. Now PCX 150's and SYM GTS 300i. Even Honda Zoomer X but gains are smaller with smaller engines.

Hey Demon. How's it hangin?

Recently being purported here is that an older 125 may suffer valve float before the engine reaches max design RPM. Honda Sonic double valve springs seems to be the weapon of choice. Let me know if you need a cam, I could pop down to the shops and get you one.
Hey Mike, my lady is not complaining so must be hangin well.. :lol:

Ive got my rpm raised by 300 rpm to 9500rpm and its not complaining but i hear you though..also i already have Takegawa camshaft installed so im sorted in that department. One thing id like to get is bigger throttle body,maybe you can assist me in that department?

Cheers
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Pcxdemon wrote:you underestimate Pcx so easy.
I don't underestimate it, I know what it is and what is realistically achieveble and what the penalties are.
My opinion remains that there is just no point in modifying a PCX.
If you want to go faster, you've bought the wrong scooter.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

gn2 wrote:
I don't underestimate it, I know what it is and what is realistically achieveble and what the penalties are.

I dont think so, i bought a perfect scooter,fits me like a glove and now goes like a pocket rocket. Extremely hard to find anything that would replace it as it is now.
Also there are no penalties except 'small' out of pocket cost to get it there.Certainly a lot cheaper than making a huge loss on a trade in for a another 'bigger' scooter with more performance and several ( $5-6) grand out of pocket as that is what it would take to replace the smile every time i ride it . Fuel economy is deff no worse or better than what it was when stock.
What you think is realistically achievable is nowhere near its true reality,for that you actually need experience which you dont have at modding a Pcx,Its like shooting blanks and imagining what kind of damage the bullets would do.... :roll:
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:

change the record mate
Cracksta
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cracksta »

Each to their own I'd say. The pcx was designed with economy in mind, I won't be doing any performance mods.

However the tops speed on a stretch of road for me is 50, the rest is 30 so top speed is not needed. Riding 2 up with the missus is fine too.

So as long as the mods cost minimal its ok, but spending more is stupid unless it's your hobbie