Puncture advice...

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Simon0867
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: White

Puncture advice...

Post by Simon0867 »

Hi all,

Went down to get my PCX out for the morning commute today only to find I had a flat back tyre.
Back home tonight for a proper look and I can clearly see what looks like a metal shard sticking out of the tread (see picture link below).

http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii6 ... tetfkj.jpg

I'm thinking of using this as an opportunity to switch to Michelin City Grips which seem to be highly regarded for this bike. My dealer is only a couple of miles from home so what would people recommend in order to get the bike safely there? I've heard of hole plug kits, I even came across someone suggesting putting a wide fitting screw into the hole !

Swapping tyres is not a job I'd attempt myself and I don't really want the extra expense of having the bike uplifted.

In all the years I've had scoots I've never had a puncture like this so and advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks everyone.
Chapel77
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016
Color: Red

Re: Puncture advice...

Post by Chapel77 »

Sorry to hear of your puncture!

How fast is the leak? Not sure how far you are from your dealer, but would it be possible to pump it up and get there before it gets too low, even carry a footpump under the saddle, or is it leaking too much?

Alternatively, the dealer may have a pick up service, may cost a few quid, but could be cheaper than having your scooter recovered. My previous Piaggio dealer offered a pick up service in one of their vans for £20.

Hope you get sorted!
Living the Honda Dream!
buddy1976
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by buddy1976 »

Simon0867 wrote:Hi all,

Went down to get my PCX out for the morning commute today only to find I had a flat back tyre.
Back home tonight for a proper look and I can clearly see what looks like a metal shard sticking out of the tread (see picture link below).

http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii6 ... tetfkj.jpg

I'm thinking of using this as an opportunity to switch to Michelin City Grips which seem to be highly regarded for this bike. My dealer is only a couple of miles from home so what would people recommend in order to get the bike safely there? I've heard of hole plug kits, I even came across someone suggesting putting a wide fitting screw into the hole !

Swapping tyres is not a job I'd attempt myself and I don't really want the extra expense of having the bike uplifted.

In all the years I've had scoots I've never had a puncture like this so and advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks everyone.
if the puncture is nowhere near the sidewalls then a plug kit should be fine, my rear city grip found a nail 2 days after fitting, its been plugged since, that was over 2k miles ago.
Honda forza 125 2019
Malossi multivar 2000 with 8.5gr rollers
Yellow malossi contra spring
Malossi delta clutch and bell
Malossi special kevlar belt
K and n air filter
Akrapovic exhaust
BC BCTX7L-FP-S LiFePO4 Battery

Honda Pcx 125 esp 2012 uk model
Malossi Multivar 10.5g rollers
Malossi White Contra Spring
Malossi yellow clutch springs
Daytona reinforced belt
ADVANCEPro Large Diameter Drive Face
ADVANCEPro PCX125 Fi High Rigidity Bearing Slider
DNA Performance air filter
Removed air box flange
Removed seat hump
Ermax+25 windshield
stevecbr
Year: 2011
Color: white

Post by stevecbr »

You'll save yourself some money if your able to take the wheel out yourself, and get it fitted loose by your dealer. I bought a set of Michelin City Grips for my PCX for the £80 mark online, and my local bike garage fitted and balanced them both for £20. My local Honda dealer quoted £180 for a pair of IRC's fitted!
Simon0867
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Simon0867 »

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated.
I've ordered up a plug kit so will use that and then take the bike up to my dealer.
The tyre was fine when I parked the bike up Monday afternoon but flat by early the following morning, don't want to risk it.
I can do a few mechanical odds and ends but taking off wheels I think I'll leave to the experts, also I don't really have the garage space to do the work.
Will price up replacing both with City Grips, if it's some mad figure then I'll just get a new IRC for the rear.
stevecbr
Year: 2011
Color: white

Post by stevecbr »

The City Grip rear for the PCX is £45 delivered, just depends how much your dealer charges for fitting http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop. ... p=R-217476
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

The puncture looks like it could be too close to the edge to be repairable.

I've had excellent service from Tyretec Trading.

Rear £34 http://www.tyretectrading.co.uk/catalog ... _weight=72
Front £33 http://www.tyretectrading.co.uk/catalog ... g=&brands=

Delivery for two tyres £7.50
Total £74.50..... plus whatever the dealer charges for fitting to the scooter.

Dunlop Scootsmarts are £6 less, they're very good on a Forza 300, no idea how good they are on a PCX though.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Simon0867
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Simon0867 »

This is probably a silly question but could I put a City Grip on the rear and just leave the front as it is, a standard PCX IRC tyre? Should both tyres be the same make?
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

You'll probably be ok fitting a rear only. Plenty people have. It's not a fancy sports bike after all. When I changed mine I got the wheels painted so replaced the both but I still had plenty life left in the front and would have left it otherwise.
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

I have Citygrip on rear and OEM on the front. When the front needs a new tire,THEN it will get a CG. Mantis rides just fine.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
Simon0867
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Simon0867 »

Got a Cargol temporary repair kit for the tyre (see link below). Very easy to use, had the tyre plugged and inflated within 5 minutes. Rode along to my local dealer who are going to replace the rear tyre with a City Grip for £77 all in. I discussed changing the front one to a City Grip at the same time, but the mechanic didn't think it was worth it as my current front tyre has plenty of life left in it.

Will be back on the road by Monday.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232142758175
Tomtic2
Year: 2022
Color: Black SH Mode

Post by Tomtic2 »

I've just had a new rear CityGrip put on mine at Honda in Carlisle. They charged £63 inc VAT and they took the wheel out etc. That's the cheapest tyre I've ever had replaced.....and from a main dealer!
I could have saved a bit more by removing the wheel and taking it in for them to fit the new tyre, but since they cleaned the rear brake up as well as giving the scoot a health check-up at the same time, it was a great deal.
The City Grip felt fine in heavy rain riding the 30 miles back home.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

If that £63 included the cost of the tyre it was a good deal. :)
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Tomtic2 wrote:I've just had a new rear CityGrip put on mine at Honda in Carlisle. They charged £63 inc VAT and they took the wheel out etc. That's the cheapest tyre I've ever had replaced.....and from a main dealer!
I could have saved a bit more by removing the wheel and taking it in for them to fit the new tyre, but since they cleaned the rear brake up as well as giving the scoot a health check-up at the same time, it was a great deal.
The City Grip felt fine in heavy rain riding the 30 miles back home.

Excellent :D :D