How-to connect DRL to a PCX in 30 minutes or less.

Maintenance, guides, and walkthroughs for your PCX. Please do not post questions about repairing or fixing your bike here.

Moderator: Modsquad

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

How-to connect DRL to a PCX in 30 minutes or less.

Post by Mel46 »

First of all let me say that I actually did I this in that amount of time, so this mod is not impractical in that amount of time. That being said, let me remind everyone of the wires involved. You will be connecting to the white wire and the green with orange stripes. The headlights have 3 wires. The high beams has a light blue wire. The low beams has a white wire, and the ground wire for both is the green one with orange stripes.

You will need wire snips, 2 blue posi-taps for 16-18 awg wire, and possibly another quick connect plug of some sort. The objective will be to connect the posi-taps into the white and the green wire with orange stripes. I connected a quick connect plug to those wires using the posi-taps so that I had plenty of room to work on the rest of the wires without being too cramped while working.

Ok, on to the project. If you shine a light up under the right front fenders, way up into the wiring , etc. you will see this plug. Be careful because there are two plugs, but only one of the has 3 wires. I think the other has 2.
IMG_20161231_110725.jpg
IMG_20161231_110725.jpg (138.51 KiB) Viewed 2173 times
IMG_20161231_110824.jpg
IMG_20161231_110824.jpg (121.09 KiB) Viewed 2173 times
Notice the prong that sticks up from the plug. That is what keeps the plug from coming apart while you ride. You will need to press that pointed tip in while pulling on the plug (I cheated and pulled the wires close to the plug as I held in the pointed tip.) You may have to wiggle the plug to get it out. That will release the plug and give you room to strip some of the black plastic encasing the wire bundle. I used my pointed wire cutters to snip the plastic, but if you have something else that you think will work that is fine. Just be careful and don't clip any wires.
the idea is to give you clear access to the wires.

Once you have clear access to the wires, connect the big end of the posi-taps to each wire, white is positive, green is ground. I took off the little ends before connecting them so it would be easier to connect it. The big end 'T's into the wire, while the small end screws straight down into it. If you are not sure what I mean, read the directions on the back of the Posi-tap package. My package came with 6 Posi-taps in it. I bought them on Amazon.
IMG_20161231_110906.jpg
IMG_20161231_110906.jpg (70.21 KiB) Viewed 2173 times
Once the posi-taps are in place, time to work on the DRLs. Install the DRLS where you want them, leaving enough wire for the wires to be joined, since they will both be plugged into the same posi-taps. Red is positive, black or black striped is ground. I connected those wires to a quick connect plug, with the other part of the plug connected to the posi-tap. Once you have the quick connect plug attached to the posi-taps you can plug the original plug back in, leaving the quick connect plug end hanging loose. Using a good headlamp you should be able to reach back up in there and plug it right back in.

Plugging the quick connect plug ends together should be easy after that. Just remember the splice the wires together for both DRLS before connecting the quick connect plug, so that both will lights, not just one. Tie wrap the bundle together after you have tested it and start up the bike. The DRLS should only come on when the headlights come on.
Here is the quick connect plug I used, but there are a lot of different types out. Once again, I purchased it from Amazon.
(I don't know why there are 2 copies of the picture, but at least it gets the point across.)
Attachments
IMG_20161231_111434.jpg
IMG_20161231_111434.jpg (94.22 KiB) Viewed 2173 times
IMG_20161231_111434.jpg
IMG_20161231_111434.jpg (94.22 KiB) Viewed 2173 times
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Re: How to connect DRL to a PCX in 30 minutes or less.

Post by GeorgeSK »

Cool! Thanks.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
JonW
Regular User
Regular User

Post by JonW »

Nice! Thanks.
Jon W
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Great job..like those posi taps.. !