PCX 150 vs NVX/Aerox 155

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

RobBob
Year: 2016
Color: White

PCX 150 vs NVX/Aerox 155

Post by RobBob »

Hello Everyone!

I am new to this Forum so forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong place.

I am looking in buying a scooter for my commuting in Thailand. I had previously owned Honda scooters like Honda Click 120 and PCX 125 which felt like a luxury car after driving a smaller moped. Now I am looking to get the 150cc PCX but I also have my eye on the New Yamaha Aerox 155 that is selling in Southeast Asia. Anyone have any experience with Yamaha mopeds ? Is it as reliable as Honda ? I have Yamaha Fazer 600cc now but I miss my scooter, just more pleasure zooming around on that without needing to change gears.

The reason I like the Aerox is because according to the reviews it's comfortable, enough power, soft riding and it's compact so easy to maneuver around busy traffic and easy to find parking (In Thailand mopeds are parked on the side of the street side by side and PCX normally would not fit and have to be parked with the big bikes). It also has big storage place under the seat, easy access to refuel without needing to get up and open the seat. 12v Charger in the front lockable compartment. I wish it also had a front basket or something to hold my drink or snacks while ridding :)

PCX I like how relaxing the ridding position is with the legs stretching out like sitting on the cruiser bike. Soft ridding and plenty of speed. Also a large storage place under the seat, charger inn the front lockable compartment and fuel refill cap in the good place.

My worry is that the Yamaha engine and just over all built quality of Yamaha might not be as good as Honda, Fuel efficiency on Honda might be better, more comfortable ride on PCX also.

If anyone has any info to help to compare I would really appreciate it.

Thank you!
JetPilot
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: INVISIBLE

Re: PCX 150 vs NVX/Aerox 155

Post by JetPilot »

The ride and handling of a scooter is EVERYTHING. If you enjoy a scooter, get the best one you can. I would much rather enjoy my scooter, even if it needed a little more room to park. REALLY, how often will you be able to park the Yamaha, but not squeeze in the PCX, and have to walk a little further ??? In reality, ALMOST NEVER. I would walk a bit further, it would only be very rarely, in order to have the better scooter, and enjoy my rides... This is such and easy, obvious choice, I am surprised anyone is even asking :D

Mike
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

There will be nothing to choose between them regarding build quality.
Buy the one you like best and enjoy it.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

There is no easy decision here. Everyone seems to covet something else when what they have is adequate in most cases. There will be trade offs in most every decision regarding bikes. Quality is not an issue, so my opinion is to go by initial price, resale value, and overall comfort. Individual values vary from person to person however.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

The Aerox looks to be slightly narrower than the PCX, so I don't know how comfortable your passenger would be. The rear tire has a bigger gap between it and the fender, which might be good for unpaved roads, but I would think it would have a stiffer ride than the PCX. Also, you can find a lot of accessories and replacement parts for a PCX but the Aerox may be too new to have a large supply of replacement parts.
Still, as was mentioned above, it all comes down to preference. Both have good quality.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
JetPilot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by JetPilot »

easyrider wrote:There will be trade offs in most every decision regarding bikes. Quality is not an issue, so my opinion is to go by initial price, resale value, and overall comfort. Individual values vary from person to person however.

Ease of parking = NOT IMPORTANT: Are you kidding ??? I can always find a way to park a scooter...
Initial price = NOT IMPORTANT, I do not care, I buy what I like best.
Resale Value = NOT IMPORTANT, I never sell anything, that is why I have 10 motorcycles.

Overall Comfort = Yes very important.
Handling = Very important.
Reliability = Very important. I like to ride not screw around working on broken things...
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Quality is a given as equal in both bikes.. so not as issue
Reliabilty on either bike goes to quality above both considered equal
Comfort covers much ground which to me includes handling, maneuverability, ride characteristics etc etc
Sooo whats left to decide on is price , your particular comfort level under all drive conditions and the best overall value considering resale value if down the road you want to trade up or sell..comfort being the most important.
RobBob
Color: White

Post by RobBob »

Thank you all for the advise, it will really come down to comfort and fuel efficiency, it's hard to decide now without having tested the Yamaha for myself. The other thing on my mind was built quality of the engine which seems going by the comments is equal so the only thing left to do is test drive it and see how my ass feels :) Or save up and just by the two of them and problem solved, Cheers!
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

The bigger tires, bigger engine and the ABS brakes of the Aerox would be a big plus. Yamaha quality is good, I can attest to that as Iv'e own two Yamaha bikes before.
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
JetPilot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by JetPilot »

alx123 wrote:The bigger tires, bigger engine and the ABS brakes of the Aerox would be a big plus. Yamaha quality is good, I can attest to that as Iv'e own two Yamaha bikes before.
ABS Brakes would be THE deciding factor for me. ABS is as HUGE safety advantage, as important as a Helmet, riding gear, etc. I have ridden dual sport motorcycles for many years, and am very good at braking / no locking up in all conditions. But I am also smart enough to know where a computer can outperform a human by a very large amount. And I will take anything that never gets tired, distracted, panicked when a truck pulls in front of you, etc. etc.

BIGGER WHEELS: Huge Plus !!! I have a Honda SH150i with 16 inch wheels, and I love that. I hate the straight up seating position of the SH150i, but love the huge wheels, much better on rough roads.

Mike
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

If it's the powertrain from the nmax I like it! Unfortunately I sat on one in Thai motor show and my knees were hitting the glovebox area which is a deal breaker for me. I'm 6'3" so your mileage may vary but even the people in the promotional shots looked pretty cozy.

Andreas