Which Commuter Scooter ?

General Honda Forza 125 chat, questions about the Forza 125, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Spy

Which Commuter Scooter ?

Post by Spy »

Hi All,

I am looking to purchase a 125cc scooter for commuting on A roads to work and back, approx. 18 miles each way.

I previously owned a Suzuki VanVan but now I need to commute again, I would prefer an auto scooter this time.

I have a few questions, some related to types of scooter and then some on specific scooters and hoping some people can help.

There is no general scooter forum so I picked this Forxa forum over the PCX forum, hope that is OK.

Type of Scooter
  • Are larger wheeled scooters (say 16") better in every way compared to smaller wheeled scooters (say 11"/12") eg comfort, turning circle etc ?
  • Are larger scooters like the new Honda Forza, just as easy to filter through traffic as smaller scooters like a Vespa GTS or Honda PCX ?
Specific Scooters
  • Which one would you buy, and why - Honda PCX, Honda SH125 or Honda Forza ?
  • Other than the classic styling, does the Vespa GTS 125 have anything else going for it compared to the above ?
Thanks for your help
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Re: Which Commuter Scooter ?

Post by Jge64 »

I too am a commuter and had a Honda dealer and a Vespa dealer close by. And I bought the PCX. It is amazingly light, which means in slow, turnaround traffic and general commuting, it's much easier to handle. It has plenty of storage for the amount that I commute, I wouldn't buy any other bike. I will always take a Japanese motorcycle over an Italian bike. I personally just think they're better Built.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

For a general scooter forum, have a look at Maxi Muppets, they have a Mini Muppets section for discussion of smaller scooters.

Your choice will be down to what you want out of a scooter and how you will use it.
Those A roads... what speed does the traffic flow at the time you will be commuting?
If the traffic goes 60mph or above any 125 just isn't going to be big enough imo.

Vespas have longer service intervals than other 125 scooters, but shorter intervals than a Honda Forza 300.
The Vespa GTS body cannot store a full face helmet inside, the Primavera and Sprint can.
Vespas are thief magnets.

Wheel size... bigger 16" wheels generally means less internal storage and better over bumps.
If you are able to steer round potholes there's no advantage to a bigger wheel job.
Most small wheel scooters are now 13-14" wheels so there's not so much in it these days.

If you want a small 125 city runabout I would suggest a Yamaha Nmax because it has ABS.
I would recommend avoiding anything without ABS and sadly that includes the PCX which otherwise is fairly good.
If you want a big body 125 the Forza 125 would get my vote.
For faster commutes above 60mph, the new Xmax 300 might be a good choice when it arrives, or a Kawasaki J300 ABS can be found reasonably cheap.

So long as you stick to the 125-300cc scooter models you'll be fine in town, they can all knife through queuing traffic no bother at all.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: `12,`15,`19
Color: black&black

Post by Oyabun »

Spy wrote:Hi All,

I am looking to purchase a 125cc scooter for commuting on A roads to work and back, approx. 18 miles each way.

I previously owned a Suzuki VanVan but now I need to commute again, I would prefer an auto scooter this time.

I have a few questions, some related to types of scooter and then some on specific scooters and hoping some people can help.

There is no general scooter forum so I picked this Forxa forum over the PCX forum, hope that is OK.

Type of Scooter
  • Are larger wheeled scooters (say 16") better in every way compared to smaller wheeled scooters (say 11"/12") eg comfort, turning circle etc ?
  • Are larger scooters like the new Honda Forza, just as easy to filter through traffic as smaller scooters like a Vespa GTS or Honda PCX ?
Specific Scooters
  • Which one would you buy, and why - Honda PCX, Honda SH125 or Honda Forza ?
  • Other than the classic styling, does the Vespa GTS 125 have anything else going for it compared to the above ?
Thanks for your help
Smaller wheeled scooters are generally more agile (smaller turning cycles) larger wheels are better over irregularities.
I love my PCX to bits to an extent I actually have two of them. I'm riding for the last 30+ years without ABS, but I agree with GN2 that if you can try to buy an ABS model for safer braking especially in the dry and sunny UK (pun intended).
Spy

Post by Spy »

Thanks for the feedback.

The A roads are limited to 50mph and incorporate those lovely average speed cameras in sections.

There will also be traffic in certain sections at the time of my commute.

This means that it is highly unlikely I will need to exceed 60mph which should be fine for a 125cc scoot.

I think what is more important, will be filtering and weaving through traffic as well as decent acceleration to stay in front of cars when sitting at the front of the queue at lights and they change.

Because of the above, I was thinking about the size of the scooter and size of wheels.

One of the reasons I listed the SH125 in addition to the PCX is because of the ABS brakes.

I think I would like ABS on the bike which narrows it down to:
- Honda SH125 - like the flat floor, ABS, "sit up and beg" riding position, larger 16" wheels and comes with a storage box but it is a little ugly to my eyes but does that Honda reliability
- Vespa GTS 125 - love the classic look, now has ABS, the flat floor but not sure if they are reliable and they are pricey
- Honda Forza 125 - looks comfy, has ABS but larger than the others and no flat floor and more expensive

As regards storage, both the Vespa and SH will need a storage box on the back which I understand are safer than the under seat storage.

Not sure about the Yamaha as I understand the brakes aren't great, even though it has ABS
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Brakes on the Nmax are pretty good, some reviewers wrote some shite and it stuck.

There's more 125s with ABS, Vespa Sprint and Primavera, and the Piaggio Medley which is well worth a look.

http://www.scooterlab.uk/piaggio-medley-125-road-test/
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Regular User
Regular User
Color: 15 Forza

Post by 87112 »

I would simply go with which one if most fun to ride, I've tested some scooters which to me " suck". Hey no offense to owners of these scooters but they don't work for me feel wise, just either boring or feels like a boat on 2 wheels. They are the Yamaha SMAX and Forza 300. I guess you can say I am biased but the PCX 125/150 is unmatched for fun based on ease of turning, weight, power to weight ratio.
:geek:
Spy

Post by Spy »

Thanks for the feedback.

Why would they say the ABS on NMax are worse than the CBS on the PCX ?

How would you rate the NMax Vs PCS Vs SH125 Vs Vespa GTS for performance and fun ?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Spy wrote:
Why would they say the ABS on NMax are worse than the CBS on the PCX
Because they are morons.

125 scooters have broadly similar performance and are tools for a job rather than fun playthings.
dick the den
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: white

Post by dick the den »

Or a Honda vision 110i,or a Suzuki Address an110,both very good,and you can get either for about £1500,Pre-reg.i have the Honda vision,cannot prase it enough.it does what it does.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

dick the den wrote:Or a Honda vision 110i,or a Suzuki Address an110,both very good,and you can get either for about £1500,Pre-reg.i have the Honda vision,cannot prase it enough.it does what it does.
Took my 2nd CBT on a vision (1st was on a Lead) and having been used to a PCX 125 I found the vision felt small for a 6ft man. PCX is more substantial and even that gets swipped from side to side in strong winds.
Spy

Post by Spy »

Agree, I don't want too small a scooter
Baz
Year: '15 Forza 125
Color: Silver

Post by Baz »

In my experience, the SH125i is hard to beat as a practical, quality all-rounder....Particularly when fitted with the plastic hand guards, heated grips, and a screen.

The Forza is good....But I'd go back to an SH125 if I could.
2015 Honda Forza 125
Moondust Silver Metallic
Genuine Heated Grips
Colour Coded Topbox
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

We have had our two PCX 150s now for a few years, and they are very fun to ride. Unfortunately, the one big downside of them is the lack of a good brake system. Disc brakes are far better than drum brakes and that has been a deciding factor why most auto manufacturers moved away from drum brakes. I have an inexpensive Hyundai Sonoma and it has 4 wheel disc brakes. The PCX has neither a full disc brake system (front and rear disc brakes), nor the ABS setup. It's braking distance may be considered OK by the Department of Motor Vehicles, but I have already experienced 'OK' and it hurts when you hit something with them.
Aside from the brakes, the PCX is one of the finest scooters I have ever ridden. The quality is great, and the style is much more modern than the traditional 'Vespa like' scooters I have seen. Inot fact, I felt uncomfortable riding one of those that has the 'feet flat in front of you' approach. Still, some riders like that, so I won't fault them for their choice.
In the end, the choice will be yours but if it were me, I would choose ABS or at the very least, duel disc brakes.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
dick the den
Regular User
Regular User
Color: white

Post by dick the den »

Baz wrote:In my experience, the SH125i is hard to beat as a practical, quality all-rounder....Particularly when fitted with the plastic hand guards, heated grips, and a screen.

The Forza is good....But I'd go back to an SH125 if I could.
i know am on my 3rd Honda sh 125.but the Honda vision 110i,is not better or worse ,but its a lot cheaper.