Tire Change Charge

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Rick54
Regular User
Regular User

Tire Change Charge

Post by Rick54 »

I have read where many of you folks have replaced your tires for reasons of wear, performance or other reasons. I was wondering what kind of prices a dealer might charge to change one or both tires? For the purpose of this question, lets assume you've bought your new tires from a website and are just having the dealer remove the old and mount the new.
hondamatic
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2017 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: Tire Change Charge

Post by hondamatic »

I just happened to notice a sign at the dealership when picking up my new PCX. Sign posted on the wall, tire change prices, $15 if just wheel, $45 if still mounted to motorcycle/scooter. This is in the Midwest, Missouri in Lee's Summit.
Hope this answers your question.
Ride fast and keep it between the fences!
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by k2apache6.0 »

$15 each at my dealer if you didn't buy the tires there, that's an off the bike price, wheels in hand.
My PCX mod build here..
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7113
Rick54
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Rick54 »

Well I don't find that to be a bad price. Since I don't own a bike yet, I have no idea how hard it is to remove the rear tire and would have to take the bike in. I'm sure some of you have invested in bike tools, bike stands etc. to help with all these sort of repairs. Hopefully, I can befriend some scooter folks that do their own repairs, updates and such, where I could look over their shoulder to see how these things are done.
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

Rick54 wrote:Well I don't find that to be a bad price. Since I don't own a bike yet, I have no idea how hard it is to remove the rear tire and would have to take the bike in. I'm sure some of you have invested in bike tools, bike stands etc. to help with all these sort of repairs. Hopefully, I can befriend some scooter folks that do their own repairs, updates and such, where I could look over their shoulder to see how these things are done.
The front wheel is easy. Remove the caliper, remove the axle, done. The rear wheel requires removal of the exhaust (if you have a stock exhaust), detatchment of the right shock, removal of the right swing arm bit, and removal of the axle nut, oh, and loosening the rear mini-fender whoozit. I think that's everything. It does require a few tools as well as a breaker bar or impact driver and a torque wrench.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Red

Post by flyingzonker »

k2apache6.0 wrote:$15 each at my dealer if you didn't buy the tires there, that's an off the bike price, wheels in hand.

That is enormously cheap. I live far from the dealer who sod me my bike. I have been quoted 50$ to change a front tire, if the tire is brought in. This cooled my ardor to have the job done for me. So I did it myself. Not hard if you have the right tools.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

We take our to our dealer and then just go off to lunch while the do it. We bring in the tire. If they are taking them off and putting them on, they balance the tire if it needs it and test ride the bike to make sure it is OK for riding. It is $50 per tire. We usually only change out one tire at a time anyway due to wear times, with the rear being changed more often.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Blazinby
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2015 + 2018
Color: Black,Matt Grey

Post by Blazinby »

:)
if you can change a bicycle tyre they're pretty much the same

three tyre levers and some brute force (there is a dot on the tyre that goes opposite the valve for balance)

front wheel drops out with the caliper still in place

there is more involved taking the back wheel off but it does give good access for cleaning normally unreachable bits

$15 sounds cheap enough but if you need to take the wheels off anyway..... :D