Well shit.

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Well shit.

Post by ScooteringAbout »

Coming home from the barn week last Sunday, 50mph zone, cruising along, and a car parked at a give way waits till I am committed to passing and pulls out. Dropped 30mph and impacted the side of the car, bike is an utter write-off, I had a concussion and plenty of bruising. Thankfully caught it all including my speed with my GoPro.

Once it's all sorted will post up the video, not the easiest viewing but at least I walked away from it, once insurance is sorted ( she's admitted full liability ) I aim to get another and continue riding.
aka DrewJW
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Well shit.

Post by you you »

Oops. I think you are the 50th
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

DrewJW wrote: impacted the side of the car, bike is an utter write-off, I had a concussion and plenty of bruising. Thankfully caught it all including my speed with my GoPro.
Well thank God you managed the speed down to a survivable collision. Nice piece of driving my friend :( You are the 50th crash since late 2012 and this retires the incident report to the archives. Your video footage will be very disturbing but yes please put it up when you feel better.
Attachments
mac&chief3.jpg
mac&chief3.jpg (9.1 KiB) Viewed 4525 times
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Doesn't it make you want to smack the driver on the back of his head and ask him what the hell he was thinking?!
"Sorry officer. I was taking a nap and my car just jumped into gear and smacked the bike. Wasn't my fault!."

Sure it wasn't. Idiot! OR how about the other excuse: "I didn't see him coming at me at 45 mph, on a white bike."
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
DailyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2017
Color: Dark blue

Post by DailyRider »

Wow, that's going to hurt more later,
but I'm so glad that's the story here.

Hope you can rest up and heal for a while.
triaxor
Regular User
Regular User

Post by triaxor »

Glad you're ok, the PCX can be replaced, you can't.
Current Bike(s)~ (Casper) 2019 Honda Forza 125
Previous Bikes ~ (Rosie) 2018 Honda CB125R : (Stumpy) 2017 Honda MSX 125 (Grom) : (Ghost) 2016 Honda PCX 125 : (Lillith) 2016 Honda PCX 125 : (Gizmo) 2015 Sinnis Apache 125
ItBeMe
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Very dark blue

Post by ItBeMe »

Well poop that is no good.
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it!
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Sorry that you made it to Homie's infamous list but thankful that it wasn't much worse than it was.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
Sandymay
Scooter Sandy
Scooter Sandy
Color: Bronze

Post by Sandymay »

glad you are ok...sorry about your bike.
wrighty
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016
Color: White fastest!

Post by wrighty »

Balls,

Sorry to hear that Pal it makes me think twice about cancelling my order when I see these threads.
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Red

Post by flyingzonker »

Sorry to hear it. I'm glad that you're not traumatized to the extent that you give up riding.

Now, I ask: What would have happened, do you think, if you had had one of these flashing headlamps? Maybe it would have made little difference, given that you were coming up from behind, but--provided it wasn't dark (modulators aren't legal after dark)--I bet it might have impacted even a lazy glance in a rear-view mirror.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJwTh6k0aZ0
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Red

Post by flyingzonker »

wrighty wrote:Balls,

Sorry to hear that Pal it makes me think twice about cancelling my order when I see these threads.
It's worth the risk. 50 non fatal accidents--most of them pretty minor and not bike destroying--have been reported on this site since 2012.

Now motorcycles are another matter....
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

flyingzonker wrote:Sorry to hear it. I'm glad that you're not traumatized to the extent that you give up riding.

Now, I ask: What would have happened, do you think, if you had had one of these flashing headlamps? Maybe it would have made little difference, given that you were coming up from behind, but--provided it wasn't dark (modulators aren't legal after dark)--I bet it might have impacted even a lazy glance in a rear-view mirror.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJwTh6k0aZ0

None, she looked my direction AFTER she pulled out into the road, then rather then boot it out of the way, she stops dead centre leaving me no escape route.
aka DrewJW
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by kramnala58 »

flyingzonker wrote:It's worth the risk. 50 non fatal accidents--most of them pretty minor and not bike destroying--have been reported on this site since 2012.
Now motorcycles are another matter....
Homie has been keeping track of this and he has only been a member since 2014, but nonetheless, we have almost 3,200 members on the forum, 1,500 of whom have joined since Homie, and he has only tracked 50 accidents, which as flyingzonker notes, most have been pretty minor. Every so often I get a little "spooked" as well when I read about them, but then I put it in perspective and it doesn't seem to be much worse, if at all, than anything else I do.
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

The rate is going to be high because of the high percentage of inexperienced riders.
It would be interesting to know what the accident rate is for riders with five or more years riding experience.
(by which I mean at least five years of 5000 miles or more each year)
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Rickjds
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2020
Color: Candy Luster Re

Post by Rickjds »

Glad to hear you are okay. Are you going to get a 2017 model for your next ride?
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by kramnala58 »

gn2 wrote:It would be interesting to know what the accident rate is for riders with five or more years riding experience.
(by which I mean at least five years of 5000 miles or more each year)
Excellent point. I haven't operated a bike for that many miles, although all my insurance wanted to know was how many years I had been riding.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

I think riding experience has something to do with it , but there's countless accidents that just happen. Look at some of the experienced people here that have gone down. Where people jumped out in front of them, it's just a fact of life that people don't see scooters and in certain conditions you can get hit. It's a simple as that. I was at a stoplight 10 years ago minding my own Business, with a bike that had strobe lights all over when you stop, and a pickup truck hit me at 40 miles an hour and snapped my hip. And I have two MSF courses under my belt , 25 years of riding and 10 years on the mfr side with Kawasaki, BMW and Honda. None of that matters when you have a driver that doesn't see you.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Toonman
Color: Black

Post by Toonman »

I nearly got taken out tonight with some idiot moving into my lane without indicating, despite being alongside him for at least a minute. Managed to brake enough so he just missed my front wheel.
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

aka DrewJW