Speed ?

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

geoinjb

Speed ?

Post by geoinjb »

I have a 2013 PCX150 and It is almost fast enough. The engine size is almost doubled in the Forza as is the weight. Has anybody ridden both models enough to make a real comment as to speed and acceleration? Is it worth upgrading? Do you lose the feeling of a scooter riding the bigger machine? Has anybody heard of sticking the 300 motor in the PCX? That might be fun. Thanks for the help.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Re: Speed ?

Post by Jge64 »

geoinjb wrote:I have a 2013 PCX150 and It is almost fast enough. The engine size is almost doubled in the Forza as is the weight. Has anybody ridden both models enough to make a real comment as to speed and acceleration? Is it worth upgrading? Do you lose the feeling of a scooter riding the bigger machine? Has anybody heard of sticking the 300 motor in the PCX? That might be fun. Thanks for the help.
I've ridden both and it all depends on what you're going to use it for. I don't even go near interstate so I don't need anything above 60 miles an hour and the Forza is a much heavier bike that is not as easily pulled in and out of parking spots, pulled up on curbs and parking spots as a PCX. . It starts to get near that weight of a motorcycle, not like a scooter. The PCX is much more of a nice around town bike for a single rider. It all depends on what you Plan to use it for.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

I find the Forza heavy and clumsy in parking lots. I've had lighter scooters and motorcycles.

The Forza is a hundred pounds heavier than my DR650. WHY???

I always found it a bit odd that a 300cc is not twice as fast as a 150cc. Not even close.

I don't think I would have been happy with a PCX on our high speed mountain highways. The Forza is almost capable.
raito
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: matte silver

Post by raito »

I have never sat on the Forza, but I had a 2008 Kymco Xciting 300 which is perhaps fairly comparable. Personally, I don't think I'm slower now that my engine capacity is halved, but maybe I never really ride fast to begin with. And even for stability at my highest speed, I think PCX is better than the Xciting was, even though this probably because it was an old machine that had endured some falls and unreliably maintained.. I am 5'6" short and 50kg light, so the PCX is perfect, whereas the Xciting was labouriously tiring especially at traffic junctions. Your scooter riding feeling you want to achieve may differ.
ImageImageImage
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

The bottom line seems to be that it all depends on what your primary use will be for it.
If you are riding around in town most of the time, with very little time, if any, on the freeways, then the PCX will do quite nicely.
However, if you spend most of your ride on Freeways you will need a heavy bike that can keep up with traffic, and that would be the Forza.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

davenowherejones wrote:I always found it a bit odd that a 300cc is not twice as fast as a 150cc. Not even close.
Its because drag increases as the square of speed.
And its why a 200bhp Hayabusa isn't twice as fast as a 100bhp VFR750
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Richard
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black

Post by Richard »

davenowherejones wrote:I find the Forza heavy and clumsy in parking lots. I've had lighter scooters and motorcycles.

The Forza is a hundred pounds heavier than my DR650. WHY???

I always found it a bit odd that a 300cc is not twice as fast as a 150cc. Not even close.

I don't think I would have been happy with a PCX on our high speed mountain highways. The Forza is almost capable.
Just because it is double the size does not mean you can double the speed....I had a 350lc that would do 130 mph....Allso had a 750 ....that could only manage 250mph so you can see your theory does not work.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:
davenowherejones wrote:I always found it a bit odd that a 300cc is not twice as fast as a 150cc. Not even close.
Its because drag increases as the square of speed.
And its why a 200bhp Hayabusa isn't twice as fast as a 100bhp VFR750

Bloody feels like it though :D
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I once had a Yamaha BWS 49cc two stroke and I upgraded to a Geely 150cc generic Chinese scooter. 3 times the engine size but only about 20 kmph faster.

Sidenote: Geely of China now owns Volvo of Sweden. And Rolls Royce is owned by BMW.

I think a few of my relatives are still rolling over in their graves.

Some of my relatives still work for Rolls Royce.
pullin_gs
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Red

Post by pullin_gs »

davenowherejones wrote:The Forza is a hundred pounds heavier than my DR650. WHY???
Fact: DR650 is 370lbs wet. Hardly 100 pounds heavier
Why heavier? Because the DR is a DS bike (and a pig-of one at that!), thats why!
Although I must admit, the DR is a pig when it comes to DS bikes. :-) Street 425 pounds is easy...off road and it gets sucky real quick!
Now compared the Forza with an XT250 (or even a DRZ400) and now your talking! This gives alost 150lb weight savings, a tad more power, and a "cool factor" that is unmatched by my Forza.
Heck I almost bought an XT250 vs the Forza until I got a price quote on it.
It was TWICE as expensive!!! PS: I paid $2999 (3300 out the door) for my NEW 2014 Forza a year ago.

Its called physics. My 300cc goes darn near 85.
Your math would put a Yamaha 1900cc cruzer at over 500MPH. Not!
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I guess people missed my sarcasm. I know the physics.

A KTM made scooter COULD be substantially lighter than the Honda.

The manufacturers sure play games with the weight of various motorcycles and probably none of the MPG are actually true.

Volkswagen is sure having big fines for their games. Who gets the money? (I had a Scirocco once, pay me)
geoinjb

Post by geoinjb »

Thanks, we have gone by the wayside. Lets try this I have ridden the BMW 650gt it feels like a slow heavy underpowered motorcycle, not a zippy scooter of course it weighs near 550lbs. My question is the Forza noticeably faster that the PCX150. The BMW may kill it on high speed but it doesn't feel much faster off the line. Does all that extra weight on the Forza kill all the fun? Thanks again.
ggs34
Color: red

Post by ggs34 »

I have owed a pcx and now have a forza
Therre both ride different and speed is more 0 to 60 is somiting like 13seconds with me on It the big difference is in wind the forza tracks much better in a straight line. On the pcx you get thrown around a Lott side to side in crossword hope this helps
JetPilot
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: INVISIBLE

Post by JetPilot »

geoinjb wrote:I have a 2013 PCX150 and It is almost fast enough. The engine size is almost doubled in the Forza as is the weight.
You could not be more utterly WRONG. Did you even look at the weights of both scooters, this is grade school level math..... If I were giving an exam to a child, I would expect better than that.

Honda Forza: 422 pounds
Honda PCX: 295 Pounds

Mike
JetPilot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by JetPilot »

Richard wrote:.Allso had a 750 ....that could only manage 250mph so you can see your theory does not work.
Only 250 MPH out of a 750, that is totally unacceptable... If you had gotten a Honda, it would have probably had a top speed of at least 300 MPH :D

Mike
JetPilot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by JetPilot »

pullin_gs wrote: It was TWICE as expensive!!! PS: I paid $2999 (3300 out the door) for my NEW 2014 Forza a year ago.
How did you get that kind of a deal on a Forza ???? Where ??? Washington DC is a pretty expensive area, not what I would expect from there.

I got quoted 7000 dollars out the door for a 2016 Forza with ABS from my local dealer :|

Mike
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

That was certainly a heck of a deal. I paid more or less double that last fall.

I own both machines, and, if it is just me, I will pick the PCX every time. I love how nimble it is. It is far easier to maneuver around the driveway, and is fast enough for anything but expressway/highway. We got the Forza mostly because my wife really enjoyed riding on the back of the PCX, but the PCX is pretty small for two heffalumps such as ourselves. The Forza is much more comfortable for two-up. I can take it onto an interstate and easily keep with traffic going 70ish. With both of us. The is still some more in the throttle, but I don't really want to use it. We still do not spend any time on the highway unless we want to get home more quickly for some reason.

I feel like I sit on the PCX, but in the Forza. For me, it is not as comfortable (5' 10", 180 (but up until recently a bit north of 200) lbs.). My legs are more compressed (play around on http://cycle-ergo.com/ to see what I mean).

If you need to break 60 mph with any regularity, or break 65 at all, get a Forza. If not, you will save some cash and IMHO have more fun, on the PCX.

Although if I found a Forza for three grand, I would be hard pressed to turn it down. Good hunting.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
JetPilot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by JetPilot »

GeorgeSK wrote:
Although if I found a Forza for three grand, I would be hard pressed to turn it down. Good hunting.
Hi GeorgeSK,

Thank you for the review of both scooters. What you post confirms the conclusion that a Forza is by far the best scooter for me. Although it will be a while, going to see what the 2017's are like before I do anything.

Tell me about the Dog in the helmet ????? Is that yours ? Shepherds are awesome dogs, although my White German Shepherd prefers the car over riding :D

Mike
Attachments
KaylaDriving.jpg
KaylaDriving.jpg (10.3 KiB) Viewed 1757 times
swampass
Color: Red

Post by swampass »

My previous scooter was an Smax 155cc. The forza is a lot bigger in physical size. My Smax from a power standpoint is probably 75% of the Forza. It would do an honest 70mph indicated with me on it. And I'm about 250lbs. I like the Forza because I have room to move around on it. It has much more wind protection. I try not to view these scooters in cubic centimeters. I try to view them in terms of physical size. They are all pretty pokey for the most part in comparison to their motorcycle counterparts. If I want to go fast, I hop on my GSXS-1000.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I had a Burgman 400 before I traded down to the PCX 150. I could go now the freeways with it and it was great or anything requiring you to ride at 55 mph or higher.
I traded down to the PCX because it was nimble and could zip around town without me having to wrestle it. Finding parking was easy, and I could store it in my basement when winter came, which means that it could be driven through the doorway. I couldn't do that very well with the Burgman. I did get it into the basement once but it was very difficult to do. I had to move the mirrors inward and move the handlebars this way and that to try to get it through without scratching it or the windshield. Getting it back out again was just as difficult.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers