Projected Life Span of a PCX

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Rick54
Regular User
Regular User

Projected Life Span of a PCX

Post by Rick54 »

Barring any abusive treatment of a PCX, and maintaining the recommended maintenance schedule, how many miles could one expect before looking at an engine rebuild or transmission rebuild?

I've seen a couple of posts for having up to 10,000 miles on their bike, and larryinseattle said he had 35,000 miles. I'm just trying to get a feel for maintenance expenses on these scooters. I'm seeing check-up costs in the neighborhood of $300 every year or 2500 miles, whichever comes first. There also seemed to be some confusion as to how often a valve clearance check has to be made which also raises the cost. I believe this $300 cost to be in addition to the otherwise normal oil change fees?

Then again, I don't know what the average amount of miles is that one puts on their scooter in a years time. For me in Michigan it would pretty much be for the summer months only. Perhaps 2500 miles is considered a lot.

Also, I don't know what to expect when it comes to normal maintenance and dealerships. I know when I take my truck in for a oil change and lube, it's usually a two hour wait along with a couple cups of coffee. Is it the same with scooters, or do you drop it off and wait for a call a few days or a week later that it's done?
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Re: Projected Life Span of a PCX

Post by iceman »

My '14 (15 led model) cost £2700 - I had the 1st service done at a dealer just because I hoped they would check and spot anything out of the norm - lucky if they did the oil change which I believe they did. 2yr's worth of dealer charges for service would cost me £900 inc vat and maybe a bit more for bits n pieces. I chose to save that money and hope nothing major went wrong.

Only issue 10'000 miles in and 2.5 yr's riding is noisy final drive bearing - can replace that myself for less than £100. You may be unlucky and have major problems, but in almost all cases saving the cost of dealership servicing pays for itself.

Only thing that needs to be done is the oil change - then bits such as air filter and spark plug every now and then - valve check only if the bike has issues (imho) - if it starts 1st time every time, runs well, gives great mpg, there cannot be much wrong with the bike.
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: `12,`15,`19
Color: black&black

Post by Oyabun »

I've seen quite a few pcx-es turning the 60k km mark, what us roughly 40k miles - without a hiccup.
When installing big vore kits on mine and also a few friends bikes between 12k and 21k kilometers I found no marks on the stock motor internals what would be alarming or would suggest a shorter lifetime. No feedback on any type specific issues either.
So I'd say with your less than 2.5k mikes per year prediction you're ood for the time your bike will be ready for graduation. ;-)
I do my own and a few felow rider's maintenance, and without the valve clearance check it is kess than an two hours including everything ( oil change, air filter inspection/change, drive belt i/c, regreasing the clutch bearings, checking/topup of fluids, checking brakes and steeeing bearings, checking and inflating rire pressures and lights. A shirt testvride and a coffe or two fits in between too.
The valve clearance is a different animal though. It supposed ro be done on a stone cold engine, so it has to stay overnight, or at least 2-3 hours outside in less than 20 degrees C to start adjusting it - plus removal of fairings and stuff. I've een a new technique in asia last time what does not require removal of all the rear fairings - I'll ry it next time should I do a valve adjustment.
Rick54
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Rick54 »

Thank you all for your replies. Like a new car that has a 3 yr. or 36,000 mile warranty, I'm not sure what to expect from the dealership on a new PCX. Whatever the warranty is, I'd like to have the dealer do the routine maintenance on the bike per the suggested maintenance schedule just in case something major goes wrong. That way, I'd hope there would be no argument on any warranty replacement of bad parts during the warranty period.
My only experience with bikes is that of Harley-Davidson, of which I have many friends that own one. It seems for every 8 hours of riding, 16 hours and BIG $$ are spent wrenching on them. And then there is always the engine rebuild during the snow covered winter months. So I am hoping that the PCX is a bit more reliable!
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

My 2015 is a year old, a couple thousand miles on it, it's never been in for service. I changed the oil once so far, and the rear end once. I'm never taking it until it has a problem. Not worried about the valve clearance. I'll do it myself when the time comes.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Blazinby
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2015 + 2018
Color: Black,Matt Grey

Post by Blazinby »

Hey Rick and welcome,

I think if you maintain your bike properly it will last slightly longer than the universe we live in :)

Regards servicing I took my bike in for it's first service at the honda dealership, big mistake.

They charged me £90 to change the oil (basically all your first service is)and overfilled my bike with oil......never again

I now have about seven thousand miles on my bike and have done everything myself, changed my oil,brake pads and back tyre without bothering honda

looking forward to doing my valve clearance but will leave that for another coupla thousand miles

there are great how to guides here for everything PCX related if you like to get your hands dirty

but if not check your dipstick whenever the scoundrells have had their hands on your baby

B